Planning a theme park trip to Orlando Florida?

Soldato
You dont need a car but it certainly helps. We used to frequent Florida and to be honest a car helps so much in actually seeing more than just the theme parks.
14 days is a long time to just be doing that to be honest (and i love theme parks) also one of the disney waterparks is a right bitch to get to via transit.

Adventure Island is good, but not as good as the disney ones.
The disney attractions are more suited to pre-teens but still enjoyable, but if your over the age of 18 Universal will hold more appeal, and busch gardens even more so.

Not going to Cape? If you do get a car for a few days I would recommend:

Clearwater (amazing beach)
St Augustine (brilliant little seaside town)

Oh and bring your id with you. Busch will give you free entry for another day if you sign up to their mailing lists w/e.

Last edited:
Associate
If you try and do it all you may feel like you didn't have a holiday when you get home. Easily a day for each park if you push it.

Bush Gardens is a long drive from Orlando and a very full day.

I would say you need a car but if you stay in the right hotel you can get a shuttle to the parks, Driving is not hard in the US. Just make sure you have a sat nav and its easy.
Remember that unless a sign says you cannot. You can turn right on a red light.

Unless you are in a city like New York the US just isn't setup for public transport. Parking is super easy at all the parks. Just find the shade. Lots of train things take you from the car park to the park entrance.

For the cash. You will need for than $20. you cannot tip people with a credit card BUT you can pay for a hell of a lot on the credit card. I just use cash for small items, vending machines and tips.

Remember that this is a holiday, list the things that you really want to do, things you would like. Then make sure you can achieve the first list.

You will be walking MILES. make sure everyone has comfortable shoes.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27968418 said:
. I didn't bother but the girlfriend did, the benefit of that was that I could take photos of her so we didn't need to be conned to buy the photos.
That was a benefit !?!?- I've seen your photos :p

Man of Honour
For the cash. You will need for than $20.

I agree but my point is thats all you need in your wallet as you step off the plane. The rest can be obtained easily once there.

you cannot tip people with a credit card
Yes you can, when you get the check you simply write the tip on it - there is a space provided - and the total amount inc tip is charged to your card.

That was a benefit !?!?- I've seen your photos :p

:D:D

I knew there must have been a reason why didnt get them framed :D

Soldato
or get the free bus from the seaworld parking lot.
It's about an hour and a half each way though.

You do not NEED a car.
My ex wife has took my son their 3 times, she's going back next year and won't be renting a car the same as always.

I agree with this. We went in 2010 and got buses everywhere, they were all on time and all pre-booked the day before so there were no delays and takes out the extra expense of hiring a car. As for all the International Drive hotspots, get a hotel in the middle, walk to everywhere around then use the iDrive Trolleys (get a week pass) for everywhere else.

Also, Busch Gardens is brilliant.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I agree with this. We went in 2010 and got buses everywhere, they were all on time and all pre-booked the day before so there were no delays and takes out the extra expense of hiring a car.

You can rent a bog standard car inclusive of all insurance for as little as 20 quid a day. The expense is trivial, the convenience is enormous.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27974386 said:
You can rent a bog standard car inclusive of all insurance for as little as 20 quid a day. The expense is trivial, the convenience is enormous.

Agreed 100% our experience with I-Ride was horrible, all crammed in a tiny bus in humid weather :/

We spent a fortune on taxis getting too and from everywhere after that, and rented a car every subsuquent visit!

What's the best time of year to go for when its not two busy, like the US holidays

It's going to be busy no matter when really, the quietest I've ever visited was september 2002 (There was fears Disney would be attacked as a 9/11 anniversary!)

But generally speaking Americans break up school and uni much earlier then us (June?) but go back earlier too (mid/late August), bare in mind you'll still have tourists from around the world when the americans are in school. Stay away from the summer months to avoid the annoying Brazilian groups!

Going back in august for our honeymoon and really looking forward!

Soldato
What's the best time of year to go for when its not two busy, like the US holidays

I went in early feb and the weather was great and the parks were not rammed. We never had to wait long in restaurants. It was pretty perfect for relaxing and golfing.

But summer is a bit of a nightmare. REALLY humid on a daily basis to the level of discomfort. Without a car its REALLY tough as the environment is made for going from aircon house to aircon car to aircon shop/resturant.

Associate
For credit cards, if you are looking to pay it off straight away when you get back I'd recommend a Post Office card. No extra fees for using abroad and pretty good interbranch exchange rates.

I have never been without hiring a car, but I would say that it is essential, on a trip like this you want total flexibility.

Associate
I've been going back and forth pretty regularly over the last couple of years as my other half is a disney freak with access to a villa and cheap flights. I'd second what others are saying with regards to cars, they are a must, easy as anything to drive out there and gives you a vast amount of flexibility - you will get sick of the parks very quickly if that's all you have access too.

Few tips -

Fireworks, bit of a mare trying to get a good view in Magic Kingdom. We tend to stand where you would get the boat to the Magic Kingdom entrance, you can get a pretty spectacular view over the lake without the crowds.

Do Magic Kingdom over a few days, fast pass early morning options, get there for opening, hit the rides you can and then leave the park and do something else.

Animal Kingdom/Hollywood studios can be done in a day. Epcot can also but it would be pushing it. It's worth taking time as going around the world/boardwalk is worth exploring. Magic Kingdom would be a push, especially the new Mine Train ride, I've yet to get on it in 4 visits, getting a fast pass is an absolute mare and the queues are always 90+ minutes, even at opening time.

Don't limit yourself to the parks, there are a few nice places to visit within an hours drive, Bok Towers is pretty cool, air boats, you've also now got Orlando City football team along with Orlando Magic which are pretty spectacular to see first hand.

Soldato
during the haloween period the dress up the streets of the amusement parks in different themes and hire thousands of actors, turn some of the buildings into walk through scare fests etc

I think chucky was part of 2013

Its a bit naff though, you queue for hours just to go into big tents where people jump out at you in makeup every corner.

Soldato
I went last year during Halloween, the parks were reasonably quiet on some days , Busch was very quiet so all the better to get on the best rides lots of times

The universal horror nights were very good but the queues were massive, best to get in early on and do a couple of houses then walk around the park watching the entertainers

I went in the from disk til dawn and Aliens house, the Aliens one was awesome, so much detail and atmosphere , fro disk till dawn was good especially the scantily glad ladies pole dancing

Soldato
I'd recommend staying near Downtown Disney. Most hotels offer a decent shuttle bus service to all of the parks.

The I-Ride service was fine when I used it, I'm sure a car would make things easier but it's certainly not essential.

If shopping is your thing, I wouldn't bother going to the Mall at Millenia, there are two outlet centres not far from I drive that are really good.

As for the parks;

Universal is definitely a two day trip
Epcot, we went twice. I really liked it there. Depending on what you're doing this could easily be a two day trip. Definitely go on the light show night.
Magical Kingdom, can be done in a day. We ended up going a few times, the other half loved it there. Definitely recommend going on one of the many firework nights.
Animal kingdom, I wasn't entirely impressed by this park. Pretty boring. The safari was ok.
Hollywood Studios, this park was amazing. So much stuff to see and do, plenty of interesting stuff. The Car Stunt show was really interesting. I would recommend going to the Fantasia show in the evening when it starts to get dark.

Get your self a 14 day unlimited ticket, you can get them for both parks. You can come and go as you please then. Buying the tickets individually costs a hell of a lot more.

Also as stated above get yourself the Disneyland app thingy, you can arrange any fast passes on the app.

Man of Honour
For credit cards, if you are looking to pay it off straight away when you get back I'd recommend a Post Office card. No extra fees for using abroad and pretty good interbranch exchange rates.

There is no real reason to pick the Post Office card over a Halifax Clarity because the Post Office card cannot be used for cash withdrawals without a 2.5% fee, the Clarity has no fee (Both cards will charge interest from day of withdrawal but on say a 12.9% APR this is 0.25% per week!).

Associate
[TW]Fox;27980496 said:
There is no real reason to pick the Post Office card over a Halifax Clarity because the Post Office card cannot be used for cash withdrawals without a 2.5% fee, the Clarity has no fee (Both cards will charge interest from day of withdrawal but on say a 12.9% APR this is 0.25% per week!).

Fair point. I did not plan to use it for cash withdrawals so did not look into that aspec.

Clarity is a much better deal in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom