Random Japan Trip Notes

Soldato
Great thread!

+1

This is awesome mate. Did you do this on your own? I think if I was to go, I too would be on my own.

This has got me thinking. At the moment I have a bit of disposable cash, as I have moved back in with parents as I save money for my own property.

This means that this year, might be my last that I wouldn’t have to save up to take such a big trip.

I could do 2 weeks in Oct -Nov.

Do you think flight tickets would increase in price closer to these times compared to now?

I did a quick google and it seems it's about £800 return direct flight at the moment.

How much can be done in two weeks?

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks amazing, I actually like travelling on my own once in a while and been thinking about doing something like this. This is definitely making me want to save money and go travelling there!

POB

POB

Soldato
OP
+1

This is awesome mate. Did you do this on your own? I think if I was to go, I too would be on my own.

I could do 2 weeks in Oct -Nov.

Do you think flight tickets would increase in price closer to these times compared to now?

I did a quick google and it seems it's about £800 return direct flight at the moment.

How much can be done in two weeks?

Yeah on my own, Tokyo seems great for a solo traveler.

I only paid £598.58 for my flight, but went indirect as it was quicker than going to Heathrow.

I believe £800 is a fairly average price for a ticket. One of the airlines might run a sale at some point.

Two weeks seems a great amount of time I had 10 days ish. Just plan to visit other parts of Japan. Others will probably post some of the other cool places to visit.

Few random prices :

£598.58 Flight
£540 for hotels (used a good coupon for Venere.com)
£32.96 for a night in a capsule hotel.
£22 for a return trip on the Narrita Express to the airport.
£69 two day pass for Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea.
£121 for a return to Kyoto on the Train (inc One day sightseeing pass via https://www.japanican.com)
£31 for Robot Restaurant (inc a free drink via https://www.japanican.com)

Most temples etc seem to cost 400 yen so not significant.

I did not buy a rail pass, I think it would have broken even for me, but not much saving. Going further than Kyoto would be worth it.

Soldato
Flight-wise keep an eye on the JNTO See Japan site's Deals and Trips section as that normally lists quite good deals on flights (note the limitations) ... for example they have KLM deals at the moment listed which are Heathrow to Fukuoka (via Amsterdam) at the moment for £516.

It is also worth using that sites contact us section to ask them if they have any information on things you are interested in, telling them also where you are going and when, and they send you a bundle of information through the post.

edit: All I'll say about costs is that it varies a lot on your budget and what you want. For example for hotels and flights for two people we paid significantly more than POB above for our last 3 week trip ... some of which is due to the change in exchange rate since we booked the last trip. But once you have got things at the level you want for those things then it's not that expensive when you are out there.

Last edited:
Soldato
By chance, given my earlier statement on planning another trip next year.

Has anyone actually been during golden week? I will be travelling with my wife and a baby just under 1 year old. My last visit was been during late Feb / Early March and I didn't have any 'baggage'

I will be visiting friends, so my plan is to maximise their time off and of course visit the wider country with the family. In addition to that, my wifes maternity leave will end after that point so it saves her holiday.

I'll be looking to book quite soon (avios reward points) so any insight is appreciated.

The DRAFT plan is currently 14-16 days out of the UK:

LHR -> Tokyo (days TBC)
Tokyo -> Osaka (1st set of friends)
Osaka -> Hiroshima
Hiroshima to Sendai (probably a flight)
Sendai -> further north (probably driving - TBC)
X to Tokyo -> LHR (Flight home)

I could do that in reverse order in the slim chance of seeing Cherry Blossum. I'd love to go earlier but the avios points needed for flights are a little bit too much.

Soldato
Do you think I can do 2 weeks in Japan for no more than 2k all in?

Current tickets are £800 alone.

So 1.2k for accomodation, food and then spending money on visiting stuff and traveling around, including trains if neccessary.

Something like this or example.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
First time I went I did it very cheap, cheapest flight could find at the time (£600), spent 5 nights in Tokyo, a week in Kagoshima then a final 2 nights in Tokyo before heading home.

Very lucky having a friend working over there to have as a guide and host.

First nights in Tokyo spent 4 of those in a capsule hotel in Akihabara (no longer there) which was dirt cheap, then one night climbing up Fuji.

That was end of May /start of June as Fuji was only just 'opened' for the season or something. We were woefully under prepared and much hilarity ensued. One of the most memorable experiences of my life so far and one that my friend and I will always talk about the rare times we get to see each other.

Kagoshima was spent at my mates place, then for remaining Tokyo nights had a bit of luxury in a nice hotel ;)

Really helped having a friend over there to show me round and do stuff with, he'd been there a couple of years already.

Did a few onsens, the one in Kagoshima had a nice view over to the Sakurajima volcano, went over to Sakurajima and had a cycle round there, helped my friend out in the school he was working at too which was fun.

Went again 6 years after with work, slightly different being all paid for so had a nice hotel just near the Metropolitan building :)

Love to go again sometime.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah on my own. I'm kinda shy but less so outside the UK for some reason.

I've allways wanted to go to Japan. It seems daunghting but was easier than I expected once there.

My tip for a solo trip would be to pre book some tickets for shows and attractions so you are forced to do things, rather than giving yourself the option to skip things.

Seriously just do it!

nice guide by the way. seems a very interesting place to venture out on your own.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Define under prepared as climbing Fuji is something i want to do if i ever go back.

Wearing summer clothes and not even having a proper torch. It was comical, all because my mate had done it before albeit later in season and said we'd be fine, not counting on the fact it was still early in season (as said first day) and weather was still very variable.

It was very foggy and snowed a lot, I have a great picture somewhere that shows us at the top where everyone held up in one of the cabins as weather was so bad.

Loads of people in full on mountain suits, think there's also an American couple in shot who had their foil survival things out, we were just sat there in jeans and a sweatshirt each.

Associate
A Heads up for those of you interested in going. When I went I stayed in both Hotels and Air bnb listed apartments, I found that the apartments (with kitchen) were far better than any of the hotels I did. It was also cheaper, a lot cheaper, and I mean really a lot cheaper.

Have a look on Air BnB in Japan and if you are willing a JR pass, get 1 apartment for 2 weeks ish and use it as your base for travel. (1 week in 2 places is also a good idea if wanting to travel long distances to visit places).

Next time I do Japan, and any other times I will be using Air bnb and looking at apartments / rooms, had so much more fun in them then in a cramped hotel room.

Soldato
It's becuase of this thread that I am inspired to go to Japan at the end of the year.

My plan is to go in early Nov, simply becuase the internet says this is one of the best times to go.

I will go for two weeks and want to see the most I can realistically do. Budget, is around 2k.

I am interested in temples and the natural ladscape as I am about visiting the cities.

This is where you lot can help!!

What things do you think are a must see and do? The two cities on my list are Tokyo and Kyoto.

Where else would you go? And how would you plan a two week trip. I've found a few guides online, but they seemed to be hectic and didnt look like you where staying in one place for more than a few days.

POB

POB

Soldato
OP
It's becuase of this thread that I am inspired to go to Japan at the end of the year.

:p

November sounds like a great time.

My trip was not very planned, booked in March went in April. I read my guide book on the plane (which arrived the day before I left!)

I'll be back for sure, but I need to get into a manga series or something so I can buy more things.

Back
Top Bottom