Do you legally have to pay parking tickets/fines/notices?

Soldato
First I would like to explain that I am have never studied law, so my ignorance will probably be quite high.

If someone with actual knowledge, not blind knowledge could answer that'd be great.

I have a £95 parking ticket (from one of the London Councils) which has dragged on for a while now. It was handed over to CollectServices who are currently demanding £407 from me.

My understanding is that parking tickets are not a crime, and we don't have to agree to pay anything. Also in the Bill of Rights Act there it says:

That all Grants and Promises of Fines and Forfeitures of particular persons before Conviction are illegal and void.

1. Does this mean that it is invalid unless I am taken to court and lose?

The letter in front of me says 'A 'senior removal enforcement agent: Mr Henly' will be coming round to 'arrange settlement' for a 'Penalty charge notice'

Ermm..:
1. Notice? What does that even mean?
2. Senior removal enforcement agent (this is highlighted and in capital letters) Erm, I was under the belief that only Bailiffs have power. I'm not sure this fella is a bailiff, and I have never agreed anything with him so can I kindly to **** off?

Now we can argue all you want about me being a tax avoiding ****, but at the time, I didn't have the money for paying this fine so I didn't and now, I definitely won't be. Also I have intense curiosity to how far this can legally go and whether it even has any legal grounds. If you are coming in this thread to say 'just pay the damn fine etc etc' then please kindly leave as you will undoubtedly mess up this thread for any value it might have.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was this a council parking fine or a private parking fine.

In either case they need to have won in court before doing anything. Have they done so?

Man of Honour
No they havn't. It hasn't gone to court. And I'm highly doubtful it would.

You can of course take it to court if you wish. If you were wrong, you will be ordered to pay. If you were not, you will not.

The idea behind fixed penalty notices is to save both you and the council the bother of court. In return for this you pay a lower penalty.

If you were guilty of whatever the council issued FPN is for there is nothing to be gained from not paying, exercising your right to take it to court will just cost you more time, money and hassle. If you were not guilty, then raise a dispute in the way it explains you can.

Soldato
I have a £95 parking ticket (from one of the London Councils) which has dragged on for a while now. It was handed over to CollectServices who are currently demanding £407 from me.

My understanding is that parking tickets are not a crime, and we don't have to agree to pay anything.

Flawed logic, you should pay it then dispute it if you think there is an issue. Should have paid it when it was £50 and then disputed it if you think it was unfair.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom