Telephone system statistics

Nem

Nem

Associate
Hi.

I know this is a little bit beyond the topic but if anyone could offer a bit of advice would be great. I supply basic IT support for a small company but they have asked me to look into something slightly different concerning their telephone system.

They basically want to be able to monitor the call statistics of ingoing/outgoing calls made from their phone system. There are 4 internal extensions and they simply want to know how many calls are made/received from each line, the number and duration, so just simple stats really.

Far as I can gather there are a couple of physical BT lines which then get split between the 4 internal extensions as and when needed.

I'm assuming some sort of hardware would be needed to interface with the phone system but then some software or possibly web interface to access the data.

Like I say it's a bit beyond the normal but if anyone had a bit of advice or a rough direction I could look at would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Speak to whoever maintains the telephone system. I imagine if it's really an analogue system that you'll be ripping and replacing with something a bit more capable.

Associate
I did something similar, ours has a serial port which outputs a line of plain text for each call taken - date/time, extension, duration, rings, etc. I made a program which reads each line from the serial port, parses it, and inserts into a database for processing via SQL. Once the data is in a database then it's fairly straight-forward to display it on a webpage or do weekly stats or whatever.

Associate
It depends on the phone system as to what the CDR / SDMR format and output is.
Most will output over a serial connection but more modern systems allow connection over a LAN.

We use Proteus at work for recording the call data (2 sites, 4 phone systems). I did once write my own for Avaya CM servers but I don't have the source code. If you know the format of the data it isn't hard to collect it and put it into an SQL database.

Don
We use Swyx at work which logs straight into a database via ODBC.

Our previous system had to use a serial cable, but even that was manageable as I wrote a vb6 programming to store it in a database for easy querying.

Back
Top Bottom