Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
My order with Rosebikes is finally being prepared for shipping!

Ordered on the 29th of April, wonder how long they'll take to get here..

2 x GP4000s ii £48.10 delivered, bargainnnn!!

Thanks done mine £47.62 delivered, so £23.81 per tyre.

Here are the steps I took, go to https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ and click My Account and then register, sign up and make sure the newsletter bit is ticked, you will then be sent a confirmation newsletter email, click on the link, you will then be sent your £10 off code.

The £10 off cvoucher only works if you spend more than £50 before postage, Add two GP4000s II in black/black this comes to £48.52. I then needed to buy something for £1.48, Spokes and Nipples are the cheapest so managed to buy a spoke and a pack of nipples for £0.18 and £1.32 respectively thus taking me over £50 at £50.02. So with postage £7.60 (£57.62) and then the voucher deduction makes it £47.62. Make sure you click in the checkout the redeem voucher button to select your voucher.

Two week lead time on the tyres but hopfully sooner!

Associate
Off the shelf wheels tends to offer considerably less value than off the shelf wheels in the long run so, if anything, being budget orientated should push you towards hand built, not the other way round.

This is especially true if you are doing reasonable mileage. I have off the shelf wheels on my hybrid as it gets the lowest mileage.

I'd look at the same options that I gave of JeffyB. You can't go wrong with H Plus Son Archetypes or Placenti SL23s for your rims, especially with 25mm tyres on.

Decent spokes from DT Swiss or Sapim, no need to go super light or bladed, just standard j-bend spokes. Also, you should specify brass nipples rather than aluminium ones; alu nipples corrode much quicker and that means you lose spoke tension.

On the hub side I'd just go for something with cartridge bearings (no need for ceramic) so you can replace them easily when they begin to corrode. You can look at stuff like getting hubs with bigger flanges to improve wheel strength but for your weight and usage I wouldn't worry abut it. I'm a big fan of Hope hubs; they are well built and have decent seals on them (based on their MTB hubs) but I know that loads of people use Novatec hubs (some are better than others) as they are cheap and easy to service.

Soldato
Here are the steps I took, go to https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ and click My Account and then register, sign up and make sure the newsletter bit is ticked, you will then be sent a confirmation newsletter email, click on the link, you will then be sent your £10 off code.

The £10 off cvoucher only works if you spend more than £50 before postage, Add two GP4000s II in black/black this comes to £48.52. I then needed to buy something for £1.48, Spokes and Nipples are the cheapest so managed to buy a spoke and a pack of nipples for £0.18 and £1.32 respectively thus taking me over £50 at £50.02. So with postage £7.60 (£57.62) and then the voucher deduction makes it £47.62. Make sure you click in the checkout the redeem voucher button to select your voucher.

Two week lead time on the tyres but hopfully sooner!

Great guidance & thanks, I'm still having a dilemma about ordering some GP4S from there... Not as much of a saving as the GP4000II's :/

Off the shelf wheels tends to offer considerably less value than built wheels in the long run so, if anything, being budget orientated should push you towards hand built, not the other way round.

This is especially true if you are doing reasonable mileage. I have off the shelf wheels on my hybrid as it gets the lowest mileage.

I'd look at the same options that I gave of JeffyB. You can't go wrong with H Plus Son Archetypes or Placenti SL23s for your rims, especially with 25mm tyres on.

Decent spokes from DT Swiss or Sapim, no need to go super light or bladed, just standard j-bend spokes. Also, you should specify brass nipples rather than aluminium ones; alu nipples corrode much quicker and that means you lose spoke tension.

On the hub side I'd just go for something with cartridge bearings (no need for ceramic) so you can replace them easily when they begin to corrode. You can look at stuff like getting hubs with bigger flanges to improve wheel strength but for your weight and usage I wouldn't worry abut it. I'm a big fan of Hope hubs; they are well built and have decent seals on them (based on their MTB hubs) but I know that loads of people use Novatec hubs (some are better than others) as they are cheap and easy to service.

Awesome information, thanks mate (I slightly edited your answer in my quote as I think that's what you meant?). The more I read up (and my experience so far) is making me relish the chance to rebuild my troublesome wheels! I think new spokes & nipples are in order at the very least! :D

For a new reliable wheelset wouldn't spoke count be the best thing for a solid 'long life' wheel that I'm not too worried about aero/weight with?

Something like these H Plus Son Arch are available in 32F/36R, a wide rim, read as larger flanges (standard on the solid Miche primato hubs) with sapim spokes for just under £300.

Caporegime
For a new reliable wheelset wouldn't spoke count be the best thing for a solid 'long life' wheel that I'm not too worried about aero/weight with?

Something like these H Plus Son Arch are available in 32F/36R, a wide rim, read as larger flanges (standard on the solid Miche primato hubs) with sapim spokes for just under £300.

High spoke count wheels are great. I have 32f/32r on my crap bike and they're great. My decent bike has 24f/28r but they're nice wide Archetype rims. In fact, I have that very set you've just linked.

I'm gonna build myself some new wheels for my single speed bike next year. It should be an easy way to start, as I won't have to worry about dishing and funny spoke lengths on the back.

Man of Honour
Soldato
High spoke count wheels are great. I have 32f/32r on my crap bike and they're great. My decent bike has 24f/28r but they're nice wide Archetype rims. In fact, I have that very set you've just linked.

I'm doing something right then in my wheel shopping thinking! ;)

Nipples!

Guys I can't get my head around how on earth nipples are measured?! I get the length, but how do I determine if say these would fit my Giant P-R2 wheels? I can't see much mentioned about nipple types anywhere unless you go for handbuilt. PX list several types of nipple which makes me think I'm missing something crucial when looking for replacements...

Associate
They've just processed mine, I assume they've just taken stock as they take stock every couple of weeks.

Get them for the same price?

Mines at processing now feller - I had to order an innner tube to bring the total over 50 euros for the discount code to work.

Thanks for the heads up - Thats a great price.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm doing something right then in my wheel shopping thinking! ;)

Nipples!

Guys I can't get my head around how on earth nipples are measured?! I get the length, but how do I determine if say these would fit my Giant P-R2 wheels? I can't see much mentioned about nipple types anywhere unless you go for handbuilt. PX list several types of nipple which makes me think I'm missing something crucial when looking for replacements...
It's almost certainly the DT Swiss ones from CRC. They are a standard size about 12mm long, standard thread and the outer diameter is standard. I've never seen them like the Planet X ones before but they look they must be for a wheel where you can't get access to the nipple from the spoke end - i.e. it must be for a deep-section aero wheel where you have no option but to tighten them from through the rim holes.

Have you checked on eBay? Nipples shouldn't be £9 for 36 - you can get a whole set of stainless db spokes for that!

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261878748082

Of course, be careful searching the net for black nipples. You might get more than you bargained for :eek: :eek: :eek:

Caporegime
Great ride this evening, even if it was in the dark! I wanted to go and climb a nearby hill which I've not done before, and it turned out to be a really good climb. It's only a cat 4 but it's long and fairly steady - 2 miles at 5%. It took me 13 minutes, and I reckon I could knock a bit off that now I know it, and particularly if I was there in the daytime and could see where I was going a bit better! It's got some nice flat bits as you're going up so you can shift up a couple of gears and get a bit of speed up before the next steep bit. It felt really good climbing it. I really like cycling :D

I averaged 15.5 mph for the whole ride, which I'm very happy with. I'm aiming for 15.5mph average this year, so if I can do this on a ride with a big hill in the middle fairly early in the season that bodes well. Upping my cadence is definitely helping. I'm aiming for 90 or thereabouts and it just makes it so much easier when you hit a bit of an incline, because you've got somewhere to go before you have to change gear, and I feel like I'm recovering better between efforts.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's almost certainly the DT Swiss ones from CRC. They are a standard size about 12mm long, standard thread and the outer diameter is standard. I've never seen them like the Planet X ones before but they look they must be for a wheel where you can't get access to the nipple from the spoke end - i.e. it must be for a deep-section aero wheel where you have no option but to tighten them from through the rim holes.

Have you checked on eBay? Nipples shouldn't be £9 for 36 - you can get a whole set of stainless db spokes for that!

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261878748082

Of course, be careful searching the net for black nipples. You might get more than you bargained for :eek: :eek: :eek:

Awesome, thanks! Yeah one of the reasons I've restricted my 'nipple' searches to cycling websites! ;)

For that price I don't think neglecting to replace them all isn't an option! Certainly will be nice to get black ones back as my current ones are now all mostly silver from all the abuse they've had! :D

Final(ish) route sorted for the double imperial training ride on the 23rd. Super flat and avoiding as many hideous roads as possible. I suspect this is going to be really really painful.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2292000

Nice route, but why the centre of Chester? I've not been there for years but I imagine it's busy?

Once day you'll ride near me and I'll have to come meet you for a coffee/beer :)

Great ride this evening, even if it was in the dark! I wanted to go and climb a nearby hill which I've not done before, and it turned out to be a really good climb. It's only a cat 4 but it's long and fairly steady - 2 miles at 5%. It took me 13 minutes, and I reckon I could knock a bit off that now I know it, and particularly if I was there in the daytime and could see where I was going a bit better! It's got some nice flat bits as you're going up so you can shift up a couple of gears and get a bit of speed up before the next steep bit. It felt really good climbing it. I really like cycling :D

I averaged 15.5 mph for the whole ride, which I'm very happy with. I'm aiming for 15.5mph average this year, so if I can do this on a ride with a big hill in the middle fairly early in the season that bodes well. Upping my cadence is definitely helping. I'm aiming for 90 or thereabouts and it just makes it so much easier when you hit a bit of an incline, because you've got somewhere to go before you have to change gear, and I feel like I'm recovering better between efforts.

Great ride mate and well done with the averages! You're loving your night-time riding at the moment?! Cadence is defo the way forwards, just so flexible with what you can do with it.

What sorta time do you head out? I find it's light until 9.30ish now and the last thing I'd want is to be caught out at dusk - when drivers suddenly become blind to cyclists!

Back to commuting this morning, fully prepared to get soaked later! Set of traffic lights on my straight run out to work (Kings Acre), light not changing from my direction and easily 30+ cars and lorries sat in a queue. Idiot at the front not going through a red light for 5-6 minutes with cars stopped the other direction flashing their lights at him... Then everyone starts going around him (through the red light)! :rolleyes: Nowhere for me to go so I had to sit behind him and wait for a break in the traffic, I pull up to his side window and he's swearing at everyone else. No idea what he said to me (after I said "light's ain't working mate"), but glad I didn't go around him as he wheelspins away... Surprised he didn't hit the lights/cones! :rolleyes: Still perfect opportunity for me to hammer it after him! 22mph average over a half mile stretch :D

I'm away all weekend and can't ride (and only commuted 3 days this week) so have a ride planned with a friend on monday night after work. May attempt to do over 100 miles total next week, depending on the weather and my after work riding (making up for my unplanned semi 'rest' week!) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom