• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Annoyingly as I wanted to retain the Labour councilor for my Borough I had to vote Labour, even though I do not what Eddie as PM.

These are different things. Your councillor is your councillor and you can vote for who ever you want to represent your local area in the council. Your MP is the one you send to the houses of parliament and will influence who becomes the prime minister. Voting for a labour councillor will not help Ed become PM.

Soldato
I'm still undecided (tactically), it's looking like a three horse race in my area between Labour, Conservatives & the Liberal Democrats - with it being difficult to know just how much Lib-dem support has eroded & which party will stand the best chance of winning.

I don't approve of any of the three, so it's a case of voting against the one I disagree with the most - in this case the Conservatives. Overall though I do expect them to get in still.

Caporegime
I'm not sure what the rules are regarding ex-pats and voting in general elections. But imo, as long as they have property in the UK/paying taxes, then they should have the right to vote.

No property/taxes paid in the UK, then i'm sorry regardless of whether you're a UK citizen or not, you're not contributing to the UK economy so you shouldn't get a say-so in how the money is spent.

Luckily the right to vote has nothing to do with contribution to the economy.
The average British citizen is a net drain on the economy so very few would get to vote, except Actually immigrants who are net contributors. So do you want a voting system where only the rich and immigrants can vote?

Soldato
These are different things. Your councillor is your councillor and you can vote for who ever you want to represent your local area in the council. Your MP is the one you send to the houses of parliament and will influence who becomes the prime minister. Voting for a labour councillor will not help Ed become PM.

I voted Labour for my local borough because they've done a cracking job under the national Conservative government.

I voted for Conservative in the generals, so sure.... the option is there.

Associate
Or you know, they could just send things out on time as they should for something like this? There's a lot of people who are in the same position.

Or you know accidents happen, you've been missed or postie lost it. How are they supposed to know you didn't receive it if you don't tell them.

Anyway like I said earlier call your election office they may be able to help, particularly if like you say it's happened to a lot of people.

Soldato
Luckily the right to vote has nothing to do with contribution to the economy.
The average British citizen is a net drain on the economy so very few would get to vote, except Actually immigrants who are net contributors. So do you want a voting system where only the rich and immigrants can vote?

It really isn't difficult.

If you live in the UK, you are a citizen here. Then you can vote. No need to go into details about contribution to the economy.

If you leave the country, and reside elsewhere for years and become nationalized there... that's it. You can no longer vote in the UK.

That is fair no?

Caporegime
do that mean that nobody on benefits should get a vote either?

Slippery slope.

Plus the Ex pats have contributed for decades, why do they not get a vote in your system but an 18 year old who has never had a job does? :S

Not only those on benefits, but anyone who earns under around 45k a year (and mor with children), or who rents would be denied the vote:eek:

Back
Top Bottom