Continental SportContact 5 - STi

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting some new tyres for my Impreza, but I am a little confused by the choice available for this specific tyre. If you look at the link below hopefully you can see what I mean.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s16p...res_-_17_inch_R17_inch_-_225_45_17_225_45R17à

They have different speed ratings and fuel efficiency ratings. Is it worth going with the higher speed rating (which I'm not going to need) which have the better fuel efficiency. Is this likely to be right? I'm a little confused.

Currently have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas on which are a little low (bit of life left in them yet) but sometimes causes my abs to come on under light braking, though my suspension setup probably doesn't help.

Anyone had these tyres or recommend better ones?

Sorry for the boring thread.

Gaz

Soldato
The universal tyre ratings are absolute garbage so I'd pay no attention to them. So long as you're covering the minimum speed rating for your car I'd just pick whichever iteration of cs5 is cheapest

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at the contis specifically. Some of the tyre differences are for XL (extra load) or non XL. What a lot of people aren't aware of that extra load tyres require a lot higher pressure to maintain their load rating and inflated to non XL tyre pressures when a car doesnt specify XL have a far lower load rating than the non XL tyre.

Soldato
Higher tyre pressures are better anyway IMHO, but XL means stiffer sidewalls, they are used when you want less sidewall deflection, not just for extra cabin load. Performance cars are often specified with XL tyres due to the extra load per tyre when cornering harder. However, whilst XL tyres give more feel and predictable handling they can suffer from lower outright grip.

Also when you have extra load, you WILL need extra tyre pressure anyway, just to ensure the correct tread contact. This is clearly specified in most car tyre pressure charts which are typically for driver +1 passenger and driver + 3 passengers.

If an XL Tyre is underinflated with an extra load the load rating doesn't change but due to its stiffer sidewalls they can overheat and damage the sidewalls more readily than a non-XL tyre. Quite simply better to slightly over inflate than slightly under.

Soldato
Puddenchucker said:
Uniroyal don't necessarily agree with your statement:

mNsdVlkD.jpg
|http://thumbsnap.com/mNsdVlkD

B1SNjwfR.jpg
|http://thumbsnap.com/B1SNjwfR

You'll notice how, for example, a standard tyre with a load index of 91 requires 2.5bar for a 615kg rating, but an XL tyre with the same load index requires 2.9bar for the same 615kg rating.

[footnote]Edited by Puddenchucker on Sunday 28th August 15:22[/footnote]

Without having to look around too much for info this post on Pistonheads shows what I mean. The same tyre rating on an XL tyre will have a lower load limit than the non XL of the same rating. XL tyres are for pressure above 2.5bar if the car doesn't require pressure that high it wont have any benefit from XL tyres and fitting them will reduce the load rating.

Soldato
OP
You are driving an Impreza. Fuel efficiency can best be described as "relative". I'd aim for grip, and let the rest look after itself.

Safety first, fuel is low priority. Looking at the ratings though, if they have the same grip ratings but different fuel efficiency rating, naturally one is pulled towards the more efficient one.

I've bought them now.

Back
Top Bottom