The Tesla Thread

Caporegime
Unfortunately for me, until charging is A) Quicker, B) More widespread, and C) has the capacity for more range, they are useless for me.

Which is a real shame as I love the Model S.

Soldato
A customer of mine has the Tesla Model S and he raves about it being the best thing he's ever driven!

Between the 275 mile range and the "autopilot" that finds a parking space for you and can even meet you at the kerb in the morning, they sound incredible!

I'm hoping that all cars are self-driven by the time my kids are old enough to drive! :D

Soldato
Dont forget GM is working to a similar price-point, range and timetable as Tesla for this kind of car. Also, it will never be £20k. The Model S is c.$55k in the US and c.£55k in the UK. The Model 3 will be more like £35k over here.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately for me, until charging is A) Quicker, B) More widespread, and C) has the capacity for more range, they are useless for me.

You want something faster than the model S and that has more range than a model S?

As to op why do you find it to good to be true. It's basically a cheaper model S. Partly due to the gigafactory will be online by then cutting battery pack cost by about 1/3

alx

alx

Soldato
You want something faster than the model S and that has more range than a model S?

As to op why do you find it to good to be true. It's basically a cheaper model S. Partly due to the gigafactory will be online by then cutting battery pack cost by about 1/3

Think he was talking about charging rather than the car (in relation to quickness).

Caporegime
Faster charging.

Think he was talking about charging rather than the car (in relation to quickness).

Quite.

The problem is that to do, say, a long drive across France, there aren't enough charging points along the way, and a journey that currently sees me stopping one for fuel and taking 11 hours would take me many days and involve waiting around for the car to charge.

Soldato
OP

I'm just thinking about Tesla's compared to the other options. As I said I don't know much about them but I think I still look back to when they first were about.

It's quite amazing to see how far they have come and that they are starting to be viable alternatives. The price point also seems to good to be true, if it was £20K then I would definitely be interested. If however it's more like £35K then I'm not sure I would be as interested.

Man of Honour

Agreed.

And 170miles in 30mins is not fast (yes, it is fast for what it can do but in real life performance, who wants to wait around for 30 mins? a 400 mile trip would add an extra hour at least if not more).

Soldato
OP
It would definitely depend on everyone's own circumstances and usage. For me I would rarely go more than 100 miles in a single day.

If I wanted to go to France and drive long distance I would probably look at hiring a car for a short period depending on prices.

Don
Battery weight/capacity/charge times are the area they need to work on.

Swappable battery stations with a 5 minute drive in/drive out turnaround could make them far more viable.

Soldato
Range and charging availability was what stopped me early on in looking at a Tesla S. Also, BIK would start to come in after first year, making it less attractive - had initially though MyCo could buy the car......That said, were they cheaper, say £50k for higher spec versions, I think I could have made it work.
So, for me, need to be a load more charging points (I often work away for most of the week, and do circa. 350 miles so have to be able to charge somewhere), better 'incentive' in terms of tax (to allow purchasing via company efficiently)....Westfield showroom is always so tempting, mind :p

Soldato
It takes 40 minutes for a full Supercharger charge and 6 hours for a home charge. Until Tesla speed up the Supercharger network, increase the number of stations and get the fast battery swap working, then it will definitely hamper the sale of new cars. Maybe not an issue for a small car like the model 3 which will be mostly a city car, but I still see it as an issue for the growth of the model S and model X.

Man of Honour
I dont believe Tesla are looking seriously at battery swapping.

I agree, IMO by the time they rolled them out they would be redundant, battery tech is coming on extremely fast.

All changes take time, but the supercharge network is pretty vast on main routes and expanding quickly. Be good if everyone else took up the same charging standards

Back
Top Bottom