Long time no see, I'm still alive!! New silly project.....

Soldato
I loved the v8 Discovery we had. Nice big n/a engine with 'lazy power' which was lovely to drive about in.

So when are the turbos coming ?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Air filter finally arrived today, so that's it finished pretty much. Just the exhaust now, unfortunately they ca't fit it in until next weds :(

V832_zpspyk6cims.jpg

V831_zps6t3vescy.jpg

Pretty pleased with that, looks at home in there :)

Soldato
You made it look so easy!

What gearbox did you use? What did you do about things like the ECU and tying in with everything else on the car like the instrument cluster etc?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I used the stock gearbox with an adapter plate, and a modified flywheel with a custom adapter (pics earlier in this thread). I'm using the original Lexus ECU and engine loom 'piggybacked' onto the Mitsubishi wiring. Dash lights were fairly easy as I just 'interecepted' the dash wiring, the 1UZ senders work fine. I have auxiliary gauges anyway. Only thing that doesn't work is the rev counter, I can't make it do anything more than twitch :(

Associate
Hi. nice build.
I am doing the very same thing at the moment!
budget build for a rally raid racer. gonna chop it up into a buggy if successful.
some questions if i may? note mine sits at std ride height.
what did you do for ex manifolds? i understand the oe 1 uz units will not fit?
Any measurements or templates or pics you may have for the engine mounts? I want to use the oe pajero units.
Sump i understood the oe rear sump unit fitted with no issues, if you cant with a lift then i think ill just get a custom one made. thoughts?
What did you use for clutch cover? is it holding up?
overall are you happy? what negatives should I be on the look out for?
I am using the vvti with custom ecu.
based in Nairobi Kenya

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Hi, I'm using the stock exhaust manifolds, my engine is from a Soarer/SC400 and the manifolds fit with no problems, but the LS400 manifolds are a different shape and foul the bellhousing.

For the engine mounts I just used some steel box section which I bolted to the 1UZ, then bolted the OEM Mitsubishi rubbers to the other side of the box.

The rear sump doesn't fit straight on with no issues, it needs notching out on both sides.

I'm using a stock 4M41 clutch setup, the torque figure of the 1UZ isn't actually much higher than the peak figure of the 3.2 Di-D so the gearbox should hold up fine. I haven't actually driven it anywhere yet apart from around the block as it's currently having the exhaust made.

Last edited:
Associate
thanks for the reply!
Was looking at SC headers as solution as well.
any chance on some pics? of your manifolds and clearance?
they scuff the bell housing and not the tunnel, thats good news.
I also plan to run 4m41 clutch kit. flywheel and adapter just came in from south africa. hope it all lines up. is that where you got your cad drawings as well?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
No probs, I'll take some pics when I get it back, should be early next week. Yes I used the CAD drawings from that SA thread, but didn't use the custom flywheel in the end, I used an aftermarket solid 4M41 flywheel which I had machined and drilled, and had a flywheel adapter made to mate it to the 1UZ.

The bellhousing adapter plate lined up perfectly, although I did have to machine some extra material out from the centre as it was fouling the starter ring.

Back
Top Bottom