Cheap to run car

Soldato
Lol not after a boat on wheels. The company mondeo is bad enough thanks.

I've had 2 of those, Dav4 doesn't seem to have a clue what he's on about. They're a compact saloon, nothing like a boat and a lot smaller than a mondeo. As I've said they're similar size in weight and wheelbase to most mid size hatchbacks

They're actually very good cars to run, decent on fuel and really reliable. My last one was on 135k when I sold it and it was cleaner and tighter than a lot of cars I've seen with half that. Parts are cheap and plentiful (most are standard GM bits) and you get a lot of car for the money.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good circlejerk though ;)

Soldato
Saab made more than one car, the 9-3 is not even close to the size of a mondeo... Why on earth do you think it is? It's closer to a focus! The 9-3 isn't wafty at all, I have no idea what you're on about.

There's not that much difference between them...

Parkers - Saab 9-3

Length : 4635 mm
Width : 2038 mm
Height : 1467 mm

Mondeo Saloon (07-10)

Length : 4844 mm
Width : 2078 mm
Height : 1500 mm

Soldato
I'm guessing that's about as much information as Dav4 digested before declaring it was the size of the mondeo lol.

Anyway if they're not to your taste then fair enough but they're actually a very good suggestion in my opinion. They're pretty marmite but if you get a good one they're cheap to own and pretty good all rounders

Soldato
Dav4 doesn't seem to have a clue what he's on about.
Lol I know :p I was just joking around. I'm surprised at the stats tbh they certainly look big when on the roads.
I was comparing it to the mk3 Mondeo if that makes any difference

Soldato
Lol I know :p I was just joking around. I'm surprised at the stats tbh they certainly look big when on the roads.

You're probably thinking about the 9-5, which is the large saloon/estate - they're probably a bit bigger than a mondeo as they are massive but the 9-3 is a compact saloon in the same vein as a 3 series etc. So not small, but weight wise very similar to a mk5 golf as I said, so 120bhp would be fine. Mine was the 150bhp (16v version of the same engine) and it was pretty pokey

Permabanned
Had a 9-3 SS aero stage 1 noobtune 255bhp
Wolf in sheeps clothing
Apart from the odd coil needing replacing it was a solid car and a lot of car for the money.

Associate
OP
I csn't find most with less than 100k within 70miles of home. If I could get a Golf or Focus with less than 70k and doing 60 odd mpg I'd be very happy.

Soldato
I'd forget the under 40k miles requirement, in my experience buying cars mileage is almost irrelevant, especially with a 4k budget as in 6 years it's probably going to be worth peanuts anyway.

KLM

KLM

Associate
here is a suggestion based on your criteria.

Hyundai i10.

2 years ago I traded our bmw 530d e60 in for one of these and based on my own experience it was a very good decision. The bmw, was a money pit, despite it only having done 50k with full bmw service history.

the i10 is mainly used to take kids school and back and shopping ect. which is a good 100-150 miles per week. and has been extremely reliable.

however we have been on many week long trips away in it and despite its size you can cram an deceptive amount in one.

road tax is £20 per yr, mpg is upto 50 around town or 70 on motorway. (if your hyper mileing it)

the reason I offer this over the aygo / c1 ect is that Hyundai have 5 yrs manufactures warrenty. and 4k should get you a lowish mileage, 3 yr old model. giving you 2 years peace of mind motoring.

Associate
I've owned an Aygo for 4 years. It's now done nearly 50k and in that time has cost peanuts to run, just normal servicing and 4 tyres. It's not the most refined motorway cruiser due to the lack of sound insulation but copes perfectly well regardless.

These cars will never get much love on a forum like this but don't let that put you off.

Back
Top Bottom