VM's and HDMI output

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

So I currently have a Pi connected to the TV running OpenELEC for my media, and I also use Pi's for my home CCTV.

Now I was going to buy a new Pi for an extra camera but with my server being behind the TV was wondering if it was possible to setup a new VM on the server for OpenELEC and then connect my server VIA HDMI to the TV and ONLY have the output from that VM?

My server has never been connected to a display (Apart from first setup) so not sure how/if this could work?

Soldato
OP
It's just an old PC I am using as my server.

And using ESX for virtualization.

So I want the VM with Kodi (xbmc) on to be displayed on my TV, but when I VNC to tinker with things I dont want to have to keep messing with moving kodi out the way etc.

So like if there was a way to create a virtual monitor as the main monitor (For VNC) and then the 2nd monitor would be the TV.

Not sure if I am explaining it right tho lol.

Man of Honour
It's just an old PC I am using as my server.

And using ESX for virtualization.

So I want the VM with Kodi (xbmc) on to be displayed on my TV, but when I VNC to tinker with things I dont want to have to keep messing with moving kodi out the way etc.

So like if there was a way to create a virtual monitor as the main monitor (For VNC) and then the 2nd monitor would be the TV.

Not sure if I am explaining it right tho lol.

I understand what you mean.

You'll need quite speicifc hardware to support the necessary Virtualization instructions, but can pass a graphics cars through so it's directly attached to a virtual machine

Back
Top Bottom