Can Paypal Gift be subject to chargebacks?

Soldato
I've got a couple of items on the bay just now and I've received a message from a buyer who wants to know if I'd accept Paypal Gift as payment and sell outside of eBay, so there are no fees to incur. He's asking if I could do that and knock a little off the asking price. The two items he's interested in are worth about £100 in total.

Now I know eBay advise never to complete a transaction outside of eBay itself but I thought that was mainly for the buyers protection? Also, is it possible for a PP Gift transaction to be 'chargedback' a week or so down the line? That's the main thing I'm thinking about. The seller is an active buyer/seller on eBay and has excellent feedback so I'm puzzled as to what advantage it means to him to go about things this way as its only me who would be subject to fees as the seller? :confused:

Associate
Yes, they can still be subject to chargebacks.

He's probably asking you to do it outside eBay so he can ask for a bit of discount knowing you wouldn't have eBay's 10% fees and PayPal's 20p + 3.4% fees to pay as it would be a PayPal Gift. So it's cheaper for him in the end (and cheaper for you).

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't do this. You have no protection for a faulty or lost item.

You cannot raise a ebay or paypal dispute.

Even the best sellers have sales which go wrong.

In order to get the 10% fee back the seller will have to cancel the transaction and say it never happened.

Associate
I wouldn't do it.
A possible scenario is the gift is sent from a hacked paypal account or using a stolen credit card. The victim eventually reports it and the transaction gets reversed. You are the one left out of pocket.

Soldato
Ah, you are the seller.

Definitely don't do it. You have no idea which account the payment will be from as it won't be linked to the listing.

As above, it could be a stolen accountmlr fraudulently set up account.

Soldato
OP
Well, I have to say I'm thinking the same way. I wouldn't even entertain it if I was the buyer as I would stand to lose out much more that way. But as I'm the seller there is less risk as far as I can see? That said there still appears to be some risk and as such its probably safer to politely decline.

Soldato
Ask the buyers phone number, give them a call to confirm you/they are genuine, then do it via bank transfer.

Soldato
I've asked sellers to do it a few times.. some have some haven't. Not everyone is a scammer.

I don't think they can do a charge back unless they say there card or login details were stolen. So really they could do that with any transaction.

Back
Top Bottom