Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
You may have the same problem as Deep... have you configured the SSD as a single "Raid 0" array in the raid controller configuration?

The live USB may have the raid controller drivers installed by default, which would explain why you can see the SSD with that but not otherwise.

I wasn't using the raid controller as such, just set to ahci mode via bios which removes visibility of the raid.

You can't boot from the onboard SATA port in certain cofigurations. I run Ubuntu Server and just bought a PCI-E SATA expansion card which I can select in the BIOS to boot from via one SSD which cost me about £18.

Got a part number for the one you used? I'm considering this (eventually at least) as I'm going to have to stick more drives in eventually.

Last edited:

nam

nam

Soldato
got my G1610T and 16GB ram and installed the Customized HP ESXi 5.5 Image, So far very quick with 2x2008R2 servers and 2xWindows 7/8 Clients connected.., Next Up SCCM Server and Exchange

Soldato
Been a while since I was in this thread, but can anyone quickly tell me how to enable booting off an SSD currently connected to the ODD SATA port on one of the newer Gen8 servers? The 4 disks are hooked up to a raid card not using on-board controller.

Is there a newer or modified BIOS to apply?

Last edited:
considering changing my n54l to a gen 8

few questions
in my n54l, i have a blackview pcie? tv card and a graphics card

can these fit into a gen 8? or are the internal sockets different?

also is it easy to get it booting from a 5th drive and use the 4 bays for storage like the n54l

thanks in advance

Soldato
Question
I currently have 2 2TB drives in the first 2 slots
The drives are only Sata 2
If/when I upgrade the disks to 4 TB sata 3 disks can I just swap the drives in slots 1+2 over into slots 3+4 (these are sata 2 I believe?) with out loss of data or messing about reconfiguring or re installing?

Associate
order your noiseblocker hp microserver silencer kit here at clockers for ~ £18

one of these

with this (I had a 7v spare)

and one of these

The nosiest fan is by far the 40mm psu fan, this is very easy to replace:

1: remove the screws at the back of the case (3 from memory)
2: cut the cable ties holding the psu cables together with the chassis
3: disconnect the 20/24 pin header
4) disconnect the molex cables
5) slide the psu out of the font
6) remove the cover on the psu (4 screws)
7) remove the 2 screws holding the 40mm to the psu
8) disconnect the 2 pin connecter the fan connects to the psu
9) place the 40mm noise blocker (it is much thinner than the hp fan so you can trail and connect it to a molex)

the 120mm fan:
1) use the allan key to remove the 4 fan screws
2) disconnect the header from the board
3) trail the cable out to the top
4) slide the fan up and out
5) remove the grill from the hp fan to the noise blocker
6) the noise blocker is a 3 pin fan, when connecting it connect to the 1st 3 pins facing the front, you'll need to shave the blip of the fan cable header as below:

ENJOY THE SILENCE

mkqewh8.jpg

a2tLbo0.jpg

as you are using a 3 pin fan, it will constantly stay at the same speed (900rpms iirc, more than enough than the minimum
~ 500 the microserver requires)

Last week I purchased all these fans from overclockers and done this mod due to the psu fan making a noise, but after running 2 days the server is running really hot you can feel heat coming from the front of the server, I have swapped back the 120cm fan and its louder but cooler, can anybody else who has done this mod tell me if there cpu is running twice as hot with the modded fan

Soldato
i going to buy a hp microserver but i have a question. i have the 4 hdd's in my main pc i want to store in it. they are filkled with data back ups, movies, music and a downloads drive. can i put those drives straight into the server and leave the data etc as is without formatting the drives? i understand i can use a 5th drive as a boot drive.

Soldato
Last week I purchased all these fans from overclockers and done this mod due to the psu fan making a noise, but after running 2 days the server is running really hot you can feel heat coming from the front of the server, I have swapped back the 120cm fan and its louder but cooler, can anybody else who has done this mod tell me if there cpu is running twice as hot with the modded fan

I did this mod, to both the 120mm and the 40mm fans and it's been fine for the last 2 years or so... Haven't noticed any problems with temps...

How did you put the 40mm in the PSU? It was a while ago so forgive my hazy memory but I seem to remember the replacement fan was quite a lot thinner than the one I took out of the PSU - leaving a gap of maybe ~1cm around two of its edges... Did you find the same?

I used some electrical tape to cover up the gaps as I figured if I left them open it would probably not be good for the airflow... So there's one possible idea if you didn't do that?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I did this mod, to both the 120mm and the 40mm fans and it's been fine for the last 2 years or so... Haven't noticed any problems with temps...
Has it been worth the effort and the expense? My N54L is definitely getting louder (although with spring/summer come increased ambient temperature which could be contributing), so I'm not sure if it's worth all the hassle if it's not going to be dramatically quieter. Was planning to get Sunon 40mm and Noctua NF-F12 2000RPM 120mm. That's £30 worth of fans, plus a couple of hours of swearing and grunting. Any thoughts?

Soldato
i going to buy a hp microserver but i have a question. i have the 4 hdd's in my main pc i want to store in it. they are filkled with data back ups, movies, music and a downloads drive. can i put those drives straight into the server and leave the data etc as is without formatting the drives? i understand i can use a 5th drive as a boot drive.

As long as you don't RAID the drives they'll be fine.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

LOL I was googling "Noctua NF-F12 microserver" and it found my post above, made 19 minutes ago! How insane is that!?!?

Soldato
Has it been worth the effort and the expense? My N54L is definitely getting louder (although with spring/summer come increased ambient temperature which could be contributing), so I'm not sure if it's worth all the hassle if it's not going to be dramatically quieter. Was planning to get Sunon 40mm and Noctua NF-F12 2000RPM 120mm. That's £30 worth of fans, plus a couple of hours of swearing and grunting. Any thoughts?

It's a tough call, but I would say - if you're wanting it to be "silent" i.e. in your living room under the TV or something... It'll probably still be too loud

The difference is certainly noticeable, but it's still a 40mm fan and that's still not ever going to be super quiet (I think a picoPSU is a better bet if that's what you really want)

When I first did the mod I lived in a different house and I had the server in the same room as my main PC, sat on top of a chest of drawers with the router, switches etc. stacked on top - it was pretty much directly behind my head maybe half a metre away, so the noise of it was pretty distracting. After the mod it took the edge off of the noise enough that it wasn't so bad, but I could still tell it was there

Since moving to our current house it now lives in a hallway cupboard so it wouldn't matter either way if it was loud/quiet. I did notice the other week it was making a louder fan noise than usual and thought something was up but it's since returned to normal - maybe a clump of dust was wedged somewhere and has now dislodged

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Cheers for that. Mine is in my office, and although it's not super annoying, it is very noticeable (especially when I turn it off for maintenance). The problem with the PicoPSU is it's a lot more expensive -- £50+ for a £90ish server seems a bit sinful.

Back
Top Bottom