What do you think of people who let their kids run wild in public?

Associate
should have seen my son in tesco last week holding his hands over his ears screaming and forcing himself to the floor so he could headbut it and lashing out at me and his mum

Feel free to judge

Soldato
People forget that kids are their own people. You don't have a remote control to switch them off. If they are tired, they are going to act up sometimes.

I find joining in sometimes helps. Therapeutic, and they often just STFU while they try and work out how this is possible.

Associate
OP
Do you know what, I wouldn't even have cared that much if the grandmother was at least trying. I get that kids can act up sometimes, but if you make an effort to get them to stop then it shows that you at least know there's a problem and are not just being rude.

ADT

ADT

Associate
Kids gon' be kids if their parents don't discipline them. I have to listen to my neighbours children scream away all day during summer when they go out into the community garden

Associate
The thing with being an outsider to someone's day is that only ever see a small portion of it and its normally out of context to everything else. There could have been loads of reasons that the gran was ignoring it:

1) she was deaf and couldn't hear
2) the kid is deaf or hard of hearing (temporarily or permanently) and can't hear how loud they are
3) the kid has been a little devil all day and the gran is picking her battles, and you know a kid singing loudly is much better than them just screaming
4) the kid has had a near death experience that day and the gran doesn't care how loud he is being as long as he is making noise
5) she doesn't care
6) she is kidnapping the kid
7) she cares but can't control him because she isn't his mum.
8) she spent the last 20 minutes trying to get the kid to be quiet and it hasn't working so she is rushing to get the last of her shopping done.
9) the kid has its own mind and nothing, not even bribes will shut him up.
10) it's a kid being a kid

Loads of reasons, none of them probably true but since having a child I really try hard not to judge but I will try give a sympathetic look, because you know, there always has to be a naughtiest kid in the room/park/shop and one day it will be mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm often in awe of my brothers ability to tune out his daughters. Between them tearing around the house, CBB's full whack on the TV and his missus shouting over the top of it he's developed this stare that only people that aren't all there can achieve. I'm not sure where he goes in his head.

The nothing box!
:D

Associate
I have a toddler who sings loudly in supermarkets. She doesn't have a disability, she isn't in need of discipline - she's just a kid. Sometimes they're loud. In fact I'm sure that developmentally the concept of 'being quiet vs being loud' is a pre-school age thing. If this kid was in a trolley, and not in school/day care then presumably it was a toddler?
What did you want the grandparent to do? What was the problem with the kid singing?

Soldato
KrJMOgf.gif

Associate
OP
I have a toddler who sings loudly in supermarkets. She doesn't have a disability, she isn't in need of discipline - she's just a kid. Sometimes they're loud. In fact I'm sure that developmentally the concept of 'being quiet vs being loud' is a pre-school age thing. If this kid was in a trolley, and not in school/day care then presumably it was a toddler?
What did you want the grandparent to do? What was the problem with the kid singing?

I'm not sure how old the kid was. Definitely not a baby, but like I say young enough to be in the trolley. Probably about 6 or something.

But if you were in that situation and you could see that the noise your child was making was so loud that it was seriously annoying other shoppers, wouldn't you try to quieten them somehow? Not by telling them off necessarily, but just using parenting skills to tone it down just a little? Bear in mind, I'm not talking about the usual noise kids make just playing. I'm talking unnecessarily screaming at the top of their lungs.

Back
Top Bottom