Macbook 12" - Anyone getting one?

Soldato
Has the trackpad got even bigger? I use a trackpad on my iMac and if they bring out the new technology to the standalone trackpads, I think I may have to get one.

I got a trackpad for work, and I find it a tad annoying that it doesn't click in, would love force touch for it, but knowing Apple I doubt it will happen.

Associate
Had a play with one in the Apple Store & was really impressed.

A skylake core-M and a second USB-C port so it could be charged from either side or connect a monitor whilst charging and I don't think I would be able to resist :)

Associate
Had a play with one in the Apple Store & was really impressed.

A skylake core-M and a second USB-C port so it could be charged from either side or connect a monitor whilst charging and I don't think I would be able to resist :)

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed that there has to be another accessory to be bought for £65 but it is a small sacrifice for the weight/thinness and generally a really lovely looking machine. With the VGA/USB/USB-C adapter I can charge and connect a USB drive / connect to a monitor and that's pretty much all I'll need; presentations and transferring data and writing academic papers. The battery is pretty great and so I doubt i'd ever be in a situation where I need to be charging and using USB/VGA at the same time but it does what it needs to do.

I haven't attempted to install bootcamp and windows yet, I will need to run a few windows programs but so far I've read that it handles it pretty well. Running parallels on machines > 1.1 is ok but I went with 1.1 as I didn't plan on running a VM. Even if it were to run slow (or not as good as one would like), I'm exceptionally happy with a machine I can now use on the go more than my old 15" 2009 macbook pro. It was a toss up between this and a 13" air, the macbook 12" is just lovely and typing feels so comfortable after getting used to the change from previous keyboard.

Associate
Mine arrived on Wednesday (space gray, 1.3), my only concern so far is that the physical dimensions mean it doesn't quite feel like a "proper" laptop. I'm hoping this is a temporary feeling that will pass as I get used to it.

With El Capitan on it the UX is buttery smooth already. Can't wait for the final version.

Associate
Mine arrived on Wednesday (space gray, 1.3), my only concern so far is that the physical dimensions mean it doesn't quite feel like a "proper" laptop. I'm hoping this is a temporary feeling that will pass as I get used to it.

With El Capitan on it the UX is buttery smooth already. Can't wait for the final version.

May I ask how long it took to arrive ?

Associate
anyone got a nice leather bag, pref message type? I have a sleeve but nowhere to store the adaptor/USB sticks so need a bigger or same size bag with afew pockets

Associate
Got the bag, pretty good tbh. Macbook fits in perfectly even with a sleeve over on it. Plenty of space inside, it has 3 parts and 2 inside pockets.

Soldato
I use a rMBP for most of my day to day home use and love it, but I picked up a MS Surface Pro the other day for when I've got to deal with work problems and I'm not at home because the rMBP is just a bit too heavy to throw in my backpack when I'm on the bike.

I can't see why you'd go for one of these new MB over something like a Surface, half the price, just as powerful, stunning screen which pretty much rivals my rMBP, full desktop OS and a touch screen. Along with the type cover it's got everything covered for just over £500.

Surface Pro isn't really half the price though, is it - by the time you've upgraded to get a reasonable amount of storage and RAM (i5, 128gb, 4gb) and paid for the keyboard you're not far off spending what you would on a Macbook, although I appreciate that that surface would probably be more powerful.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Surface and think it's a great device, but I wouldn't cite price as a great differentiator for it.

Back
Top Bottom