Multiple monitor setup query.

Associate
I have 3 Asus VN247H monitors connected to an MSI R9 285 Gaming.
[2 by DVI to HDMI and 1 HDMI to HDMI]

I have setup "Eyefinity" on this and it seems to work on the couple of demos/games I have tried.

I have never had or seen a multiple setup before so my question may seem stupid. :o

Anyway, it concerns non-gaming usage, In windows whenever I open a new window - or the system does on responses - there appears to be no rhyme or reason on which of the 3 screens it opens.

I currently have my desktop and all the icons and toolbar on the middle screen.

Is this what happens on a multiple screen setup or do I have to do something else?

Thanks

Soldato
When on the desktop, I would strongly recommend not using eyefinity.

Because it treats all your displays as one screen, so things aren't opening on any particular display, according to windows, but rather just in a different location.

I use extended desktop for Windows, and then turn eyefinity on if I'm playing a game, then disable it once I'm done.

Associate
OP
Hi,
Looking at the Eyefinity stuff in the Catalyst Control Centre, I can see a disable Eyefinity Display Group, but not an enable.
So how do you switch it on and off?

Ta

Soldato
If you can only see disable, then it means it's on. You'll only get the option to enable the group when it's off.

That's effectively how you'll swap between extended desktop, and eyefinity display groups.

Associate
I agree with Spoffle, Eyefinity was a pain when running in desktop mode, so I only run it when I want to run a game across the 3 screens.

The Catalyst Control Centre allows you create Pre-sets which can be activated by keyboard shortcut. Just remember to setup your 3 screen Eyefinity first, then save the Preset (I used SHIFT-CTRL + 0) for that, then disable EyeFinity and save the Preset for that (eg SHIFT-CTRL + 9). Then it just takes a second to switch between the modes.

I had initially saved a preset before I create the Eyefinity group, but found that the shortcut never worked, so you have to save the 'disabled' preset second.

Associate
OP
Steviepunk, thanks for that but what am I saving when making the preset?

Sorry to be so stupid :o :o :o

Anyone else feel free to explain as well :D

Last edited:
Associate
When you save a Preset, it saves what ever you currently have setup in the Catalyst Control Centre - covering the Desktop Management, Eyefinity and probably all the other 'tabs' on the left side of the CCC.

So you can set up Eyefinity the way you want it for gaming, then save that config as a Preset and assign it a keyboard shortcut.
Then disable Eyefinity and then save that as a Preset with a shortcut.

That will then give you the 2 modes that you can quickly switch between as switch between gaming and general desktop use.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom