• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition Review and Performance

Caporegime
Right chaps and chapesses, I have had the GTX 970 in my system for a couple of days and have played a multitude of games and felt it deserved a full review.

I was kindly given a few game codes from nVidia as well (2 X The Witcher 3 - Dying Light - Lords of the Fallen and Evolve) and to be in with a chance of winning, just watch my review :)

Associate
Good review, I own this card. The biggest highlight for me is how quiet it is despite being overclocked (boosting to 1400mhz) and never exceeding 68C.
I have ROG Swift and don't have any problems to keep 40+ FPS on High/Ultra settings in all the games I tried.

Caporegime
Good watch that, can certainly agree on how good the twin frozr cooler is. Every bit as quiet as the wf model that gigabyte use. Got a twin frozr 650ti in my second setup, whisper quiet.

Caporegime
OP
Other then Vram , how do you think it is compared to your old titans?

It was pretty much on par or maybe slightly behind with a single Titan (the Titan being the slower) with the older games I tested. I didn't get to try the Titan on the newer games, so not an accurate representation.

Associate
Nice review, I like how the overclocked benchmarks were repeated with %gain in performance. So it was 80% voltage boost and +155 core/+255 memory overclock huh? Would that be considered a safe/average overclock or could it go higher.

I was planning on buying this card, but new hardware comes out in a few weeks so I might as well wait.

Caporegime
OP
What happened to your Titan X?? Stolen by the Fixer??:eek:

Nice review though.

Haha :D No mate, he popped round but ended up getting a dirty slap when he tried taking my Titan X out and replacing it with an AMD card :D

Titan X is sitting safe and sound waiting for my next review and I will be doing comparisons :)

Nice review, I like how the overclocked benchmarks were repeated with %gain in performance. So it was 80% voltage boost and +155 core/+255 memory overclock huh? Would that be considered a safe/average overclock or could it go higher.

I was planning on buying this card, but new hardware comes out in a few weeks so I might as well wait.

The voltage slider was put to +82 and the Power limit and temp were fully maxed (all three sliders maxed). I just added +155 to the core and +253 to the memory as a test and ran Heaven for 2 runs, which completed without issue. I then went on to do the 2 runs on Batman and Tomb raider.

I would wait and see what the 980Ti does to the prices of everything, as I expect to see some price reductions on the 980 and 970 when the 980Ti is released and if the rumours are correct, that will be in 2 weeks time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Would the original titan, 970 and 780 all be pretty similair in performance, probably even the 780ti? At release i did consider buying a pair of 970's.

Yer, I would put all 4 in roughly the same bracket, Rob. The Titan was great for its extra VRAM and the 780Ti was great for its extra grunt but there would be hardly anything in it when you compare them. The 980 starts to pull away and the Titan X really pulls away. The 256bit bus seemed to cope pretty well at 1440P as well.

Nice review mate.

Thanks.

Edit:

That has actually given me an idea, Rob. I still have my results from the 290X and the Titan X, so i will add in the same tests (albeit on newer drivers now) and this will be a way to gauge the differences. I will get on that tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yer, I would put all 4 in roughly the same bracket, Rob. The Titan was great for its extra VRAM and the 780Ti was great for its extra grunt but there would be hardly anything in it when you compare them. The 980 starts to pull away and the Titan X really pulls away. The 256bit bus seemed to cope pretty well at 1440P as well.

Thanks.

Edit:

That has actually given me an idea, Rob. I still have my results from the 290X and the Titan X, so i will add in the same tests (albeit on newer drivers now) and this will be a way to gauge the differences. I will get on that tomorrow :)
Ahh, bit of an inception esque moment there.:D

Should make for a good comparison.

Soldato
It was pretty much on par or maybe slightly behind with a single Titan (the Titan being the slower) with the older games I tested. I didn't get to try the Titan on the newer games, so not an accurate representation.

Thanks enjoy your utube reviews aswell :)

Back
Top Bottom