Monaco Grand Prix 2015, Monte Carlo - Race 6/19

Associate
Kinda boring race but then again Monaco always is till the last 10-15 laps I guess and even then it wasn't down to racing. I admire the car control and speed of the drivers for that spectacle but thats about it on this track. Sure you get the Mansell/Senna stuff but you know 99/100 positions won't change unless its a crash.

Glad JB got some points. Is it me or does the Honda engine sound like a bag of spanners is rattling around though?
Kimi's radio chat is quality.
Vettel is happy - lol.
Verstapen - good until the mistake (shadowing the leaders and grabbing any advantage).
Riciardo - classy but surprised he didn't get a penalty.

I'm not a Hamilton fan but seemed very odd. Stupid call, surprised he listened (even if they had swapped who knew how long the barrier repair would take could be the entire 10 laps) and track position is key.

Do you think if it had been Rosberg/Hamilton/Vettel that they would have told Rosberg to give it back due to the cockup?

I wonder who was more upset - Hamilton or Crofty etc. Ted when speaking to Toto like he is some genius. Lazenby wanting heads to roll.

Interesting hearing Hamilton saying he wants/trying to be the team leader etc. I'm pretty sure irrespective of equal machinery that paying him 100m vs Rosberg makes him that by default (and the fact he is world champ).

I'm sure the conspiracy fans will be out if Rosberg is leading next race and has some 'issue' that it will payback from Toto.

Roll on Canada and some overtakes and wheel to wheel action.

Soldato
Hamilton doesnt posess the intuition to go with the right call. Too reliant on the team to guide him. Cant think of one instance surrounding a pit call where hes told the team to get ********. Kimi button alonso etc.All Can tho.

Thanks. I'd almost forgotten why I don't bother posting in this part of the forum, but it's because of crap like this.

smr

smr

Soldato
Vettel's post race presser - "how come no grid girls? what the **** is that about? now we have to park behind george or dave!?"

Absolutely brilliant, Vettel is such a funny guy. :D

Permabanned
Interesting hearing Hamilton saying he wants/trying to be the team leader etc. I'm pretty sure irrespective of equal machinery that paying him 100m vs Rosberg makes him that by default (and the fact he is world champ).

Puzzling isn't it

- Multiple World Champion
- Higher Salary
- Negotiates contracts on his own
- Better driver
- Higher fan appreciation
- Dates a celebrity (They'll get back together) = PR

He doesn't need to prove **** to Mercedes. In fact what the hell is a team leader anyway? Surely he's No:1 driver in the team.

Caporegime
Verstapen - good until the mistake (shadowing the leaders and grabbing any advantage).

I'm not a Hamilton fan but seemed very odd. Stupid call, surprised he listened (even if they had swapped who knew how long the barrier repair would take could be the entire 10 laps) and track position is key.

Do you think if it had been Rosberg/Hamilton/Vettel that they would have told Rosberg to give it back due to the cockup?

Verstappen I really do feel was screwed by Grosjean's fairly big swing to his right directly before then going left. Officially you could call that one defensive move right before braking zone then one move in the braking zone which is allowed but that usually means a defence somewhere down the straight not three inches before the braking zone, then moving again into the braking zone. To me it was basically choosing and committing to the inside line, then changing to the outside, Verstappen moved to the outside due to the first move and was forced to the inside due to the second move, Grosjean did look like he slowed earlier but I think it was the change in direction that caused the contact not particularly the braking.

On the second point, Hamilton said he basically believed the other two had likely pitted, I presume because the team asked him about tires and finishing the race on them, maybe asking about the pits. If Hamilton believed the guys behind him would be on fresh supersofts and close up under the full safety car then there was every chance of them having a decent advantage over him. Either way if you believe you had a 15-20 second gap AND the two behind pitted.... you would feel like pitting would give you a similar gap, or at least 10+ seconds after the race.

Here his speed, his utterly dominating Rosberg in the race played against him. Had he been 3-5 seconds ahead he'd have them in his mirrors, the huge gap he had by just being way faster meant he couldn't see them.

Last point, I wondered that at the time, I honestly thought if they asked him Rosberg would know he didn't deserve it but tell them to get stuffed. I think they knew that and wouldn't have asked him to give up a win precisely because he'd likely refuse and that would create all kinds of hell inside the team. I think after screwing up they are secretly very very happy Hamilton couldn't get past Vettel.

Caporegime
Well this thread went as expected...

Whoever made that call at Mercedes needs to be fired.

Thing is, seriously, the first person to suggest is should have been basically laughed at by everyone in the garage.... 3 years from now at some Mercedes end of season dinner it should be brought up as a hilarious anecdote about the time person X suggested pitting from the lead with 10 laps left at Monaco.

I can't believe no one basically laughed at the suggestion, how it went through multiple people, multiple tactical guys, engineers, team bosses and the decision was to pit.... there isn't ONE guy to blame here. There might be one guy(out of however big the group discussing it was) who was completely opposed and was over ruled, that guy should get a raise, everyone else should get slapped. The situation is genuinely ridiculous, multiple experienced professionals came to that decision together.

Permabanned
Didn't Hamilton during the race say to his engineers "don't talk to me"?

Or am I thinking of another race? Or did he say the same thing again during this race?

Maybe it was payback from his engineers for Hamilton being a bit arrogant when they are only trying to help.

*Puts on tin-foil hat*

smr

smr

Soldato
Why should rosberg have given the place back?

Rosberg didnt break any rules. Hamiltons team paid the price for a massive balls up. Ros and his team didnt do anything wrong.

Caporegime
Didn't Hamilton during the race say to his engineers "don't talk to me"?

Or am I thinking of another race? Or did he say the same thing again during this race?

Maybe it was payback from his engineers for Hamilton being a bit arrogant when they are only trying to help.

*Puts on tin-foil hat*

It was this race, and he said it after the team had robbed him if the win. If anything I'm impressed he managed to be so controlled about it, and didn't tell the bunch of idiots to go **** themselves down the radio.

Associate
I watched with relief that Lewis didn't do something awkward in front of Prince Albert. Quite to the contrary, I'm proud that Lewis represents our country with dignity and respect!

Soldato
Hamilton has a history of bad pit calls, the ballsup at China 2007 gifted Kimi the WDC title in the end.

All things considered, it is amazing the call for wet tyres paid off in Brazil 2008, getting the position he needed (with Massa having won the race) on the final true corner of the race to win the WDC.

Oh well, today's drama keeps us on the edge of our seats a little longer into the season. ;)

Soldato
It was this race, and he said it after the team had robbed him if the win. If anything I'm impressed he managed to be so controlled about it, and didn't tell the bunch of idiots to go **** themselves down the radio.

he most likely said it to focus on racing and fully focusing on trying to get past vettel. many drivers give messages not to be radioed in the corners. Monaco is pretty much all corners.

I dont think it was because he didn't want to talk to them any more.

Caporegime
Hamilton has a history of bad pit calls, the ballsup at China 2007 gifted Kimi the WDC title in the end.

All things considered, it is amazing the call for wet tyres paid off in Brazil 2008, getting the position he needed (with Massa having won the race) on the final true corner of the race to win the WDC.

Oh well, today's drama keeps us on the edge of our seats a little longer into the season. ;)

"Hamilton has a history of bad pit calls" - so you mention one bad one that didn't work out and then one good one that did work out, but oh no that one was just luck?

Brilliant :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom