Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Don
Did breifly look at the TSOP4838, didn't realise it would work with an ATV remote, is there much configuration required?

Very little.

I've got mine working 99% perfectly now.

I'll write a mini guide on the weekend.

If you already have the Apple remote, buy the TSOP and the wires for it.

My quick workaround for getting an Info button working..

Set the Play/Pause button as 'Info'. Then when in fullscreen video, make it become Play/Pause.

I can now transfer my settings to any Pi by adding one line to config.txt and pasting 2x files into the Pi's shared folders.

Soldato
This http://www.rasplex.com/??

I might have to go down this route instead of using MiniDLNA thanks to OpenVPN and no bridge support on Android. But then, I don't have a home PC with all my media on it, that is actually all on the HDD connected to my PI.

i want the pi to be the server and use my tvs plex app to play stuff. that seems to use your pc as server and the pi and a front.

ive found this vid and followed it but i cant get my external hdd to mount correctly. could it be because it is powered by the usb port and is using too much power?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVEmTPZomI

also, if i set it up the same as the video will i be able to see the drive on my network to move files to and from it? or will i have to plug it into my pc to transfer files and reboot the pi every time?

i can pick up a 1Tb Samsung M3 for £43 from a shop near me, would this be ok?

thanks.

2nd thought, could i get a powered usb hub?

Last edited:
Soldato
have managed to get nearly everything setup, im just trying to now share my drive on the network and make it so i can put media in from my pc.

ive got samba set up with 2 files shared

[tv]
path = media/usb/tv
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
read only = no
guest ok = no

[films]
path = media/usb/films
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
read only = no
guest ok = no

i can see both folders on my pc and i can put files in them.

The only problem i have is if i put a file in tv, it also shows in the films folder but if i go on to the pi it does not!

Any ideas why the pc is showing the same files in both the folders?

Have got it all sorted :

Plex server running and i have access to both shared files to move files about and have plex auto update :)

Got there in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have got a couple of bookmarks that are to articles I have used for setting up my pi...

USB HDD Power issue - http://www.htpcguides.com/power-2-5-hard-drive-with-raspberry-pi-b/
OpenVPN - http://readwrite.com/2014/04/11/bui...n-encrypted-client-side#awesm=~oB89WBfWrt21bV
MiniDLNA - http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Media-Server-MiniDLNA/step5/Configuring-MiniDLNA/
Samba - http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/
Deluge (Bit Torrent) - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cARrPUryp-X37QZy29hCMA3zVddDCg4NmBCIZEflel8/edit

Those are what I am running, and I have to say, its an awesome piece of kit. Its just a shame about the OpenVPN bridge issue on Android. I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and pay for this OpenVPN client that supports bridge mode...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.colucciweb.free.openvpn

Associate
I've got a recurring problem on my OpenElec installation on my Pi 2. I've recently stored my library data on an SQL server on the same machine I use to serve my files. I use the auto library refresh add-on to check every 4 hours (default) for new files.

I've now had 3 instances where the Pi2 thinks there is nothing in the library (no Movies tab or TV Series tab). I can browse to the files and play manually, and a rescan fixes it (repopulates the library), however I keep losing my 'watched' statuses. My movie and TV libraries also 'forget' which type of media is in them (going into the options for my movies library shows a content type of nothing, same with TV library).

Anybody else have this bug?

Associate
Both Pi and server are connected by ethernet to my router.

Manual updates are my next port of call (especially as if there's a problem I'll be there to see it), but I wondered if I could fix the problem first.

Soldato
I used to have similar problems with me copying files onto a samba share on my pi. It turned out that I hadn't enabled the "inotify" settings and thus there wasn't any communication between Samba and MiniDNLA as to when a file had been uploaded to the share and thus to refresh the library in MiniDNLA.

So it might be worth to google around inotify and whatever software it is you are using.

Soldato
Has anyone used motion on there Pi?

I'm currently using Pi's with cameras for my CCTV (ones in house have spare webcams) and using motion that then my server picks up the feed using an app called Netcam Studio which deals with motion detection / number plate / sound / recording / displaying to iOS & Android app etc. etc.

After trying a few things I had the best results with motion. But due to just needing the camera feed over the local network as the server does the rest, does anyone know how to remove (and not break it) all the motion / saving / recording stuff that motion does by defualt?

Is it as simple as just commenting out everything I dont need? Or will that end up just using default settings or throw up loads of errors?

Soldato
hey chaps, quick question. looking into getting my self a pi2. gone onto the rainforest and they have a wee bundle with pi2, a nice colourful case which i like and a mini wireless adapter.

Am I right in thinking the next 2 things I need are a power supply and an SD card. with regards to the SD card would this work " Kingston Technology 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Card with SD card adapter "

secondly, I plan on on hooking up HD's too it. do these need to be self powered or can they suck the pi dry ?

Cheers in advance

Associate
hey chaps, quick question. looking into getting my self a pi2. gone onto the rainforest and they have a wee bundle with pi2, a nice colourful case which i like and a mini wireless adapter.

Am I right in thinking the next 2 things I need are a power supply and an SD card. with regards to the SD card would this work " Kingston Technology 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Card with SD card adapter "

secondly, I plan on on hooking up HD's too it. do these need to be self powered or can they suck the pi dry ?

Cheers in advance

Key things you will need in addition to the Pi and maybe a case are:
  • Micro SD card (ideally class 10 but class 4 will work as well). 8Gb is fine but you can go to 16Gb if you will be downloading a lot of thumbnails for music albums etc Also, if you are using XBMC variants, they can use the SD card to cache streams
  • Power Supply - 5V with 2 amps (anything less than 2 amps may give you stability problems)
  • HDMI and Ethernet cables/USB WiFi dongle - depending on how you will be using it

You may have some of the above lying around the house which may save you a bit of money.

As regards HDs, they can be powered by the Pi but you may get stability issues as you will only be supplying 2 amps into the little Pi. You could probably get away with one hard drive but anymore and I would use a separate, powered usb hub. Thumb flash drives are better as they consume less power.

Assuming you will be using an XBMC variant like OpenElec, you may also want to look at configuring your Pi with the OS on the SD card and the user files on a separate USB flash drive to make updates and recovery from corruption easier.

Last edited:
Associate
No worries mate. I only just upgraded my ageing Pi 1s to Pi 2s this week so went through most of this, updating myself on the latest developments.

I went with the SD card and USB Thumb Drive option as apparently it provides a slight performance improvement and also means you don't lose all your Add-Ons and other content if the SD card becomes corrupted, which on my Pi 1 it happened a few times. Not the end of the world but a pain having to add in the repositories and NAS connections all over again.

Back
Top Bottom