Cruise To Norway - June 2015

Associate
Hello,

I will shortly be going off on holiday for a cruse around Norway in June 2015 on a P&O cruse ship.

I will be stopping at;

Stavanger -
Skjolden
Geiranger
Bergen

A week or so ago I received the broacher for shore exertions at the above shore leave stops.
The price is a little steep for my budget so has any been to the above places. As I was hoping for so info on what is best to see with the time available on shore leave from the cruise ship.

The main attraction for Stavanger is the ‘Preacher’s Pulpit’ and I was wondering is there a cable car or transport to the said pulpit ?

Skjolden is all about the fjord and a waterfall

Geiranger agin the fjord and the seven Sisters Water Fall

Bergen seems to be the harbour, town, and cable car to Mt Vidden

Any suggestions on what to do on the above places I would very much appreciate.

Plus I am never been on a cruise before so not really sure what to expect to do on board the cruise ship !

T

Soldato
The main attraction for Stavanger is the ‘Preacher’s Pulpit’ and I was wondering is there a cable car or transport to the said pulpit ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=‘Preacher’s+Pulpit

Due to its increased popularity, there is currently a project under way to improve the path to the site, which is only accessible via a 3.8 km (2.4 mi.) hike.

The road to the site ends at a parking facility at Preikestolen Fjellstue, with a trail extending from the parking facility to the site. A round-trip hike to Preikestolen from the closest car park takes about 3–4 hours for someone of average fitness

Soldato
Soldato
I went on a similar cruise (went to Geiranger and Stavanger) with Royal Carribean, last August

Didn't think much of Seven Sisters, just saw it from the boat and it's neither big nor is there a lot of water flowing. However, the views are spectacular :)
Didn't go to the other two places you have listed

Associate
Stavanger is a lovely place, well worth making the trip to the city if the cruise ship docks in the port then you're right in the centre of the city. Preikestolen (preachers' rock) is quite a hike from the start point, uphill all the way, and the paths weren't too great the last time I did it. The Lysefjord view from the top though is well worth the climb.

The cable car to the top of the hill in Bergen is very nice, also make sure to see the old shops on the dock they're the old warf on the dock from the 14th century.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Stavanger is a lovely place, well worth making the trip to the city if the cruise ship docks in the port then you're right in the centre of the city. Preikestolen (preachers' rock) is quite a hike from the start point, uphill all the way, and the paths weren't too great the last time I did it. The Lysefjord view from the top though is well worth the climb.

The cable car to the top of the hill in Bergen is very nice, also make sure to see the old shops on the dock they're the old warf on the dock from the 14th century.

Hi,
can you remember how much the cable car is in Bergen ?

I think the hike to the 'preachers' rock is a must, so the 3 hour hike is going to be worth it I hope !

Associate
OP
Hi,
can you remember how much the cable car is in Bergen ?

I think the hike to the 'preachers' rock is a must, so the 3 hour hike is going to be worth it I hope !

Is there no transport from the cruise ship to the start of path ! ?

I am on the Azura cruise ship :)

Soldato
I live in Stavanger. How long are you in port? Not sure if you'd have time to go to pulpit rock. You gotta get to the start car park somehow - it's quite a way out of town, then do the hike and get back.

If you stay in town there's plenty to see around the harbour - bars etc. Oil museum is good if that would interest you. Walk round the 'old stavanger' which is quite pretty old buildings.

Bergen - as above, the old buildings round the harbour are cool - like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean. Trip up the mountain is nice also.

Haven't been to the other places.

Soldato
Had afternoons in Bergen and Geiranger as part of a cruise in 2008, the former has some wacky shaped/coloured buildings around the harbour, the latter has a nice walk up into the hills (if you have the time and stamina).

Soldato
I went to Norway on P&O's Britannia in April, stopping at Bergen, Olden, Flam & Stavanger.

I would reiterate that the general price of items on shore are very expensive - we heard that some people paid £75 for two pizzas and 2 beers, whilst someone else managed to rack up a £25 bill for two halves of lager. :p As we were on the ship we only purchased some token gifts and some food from the produce markets (reasonably priced) whilst on shore.

We went on a couple of excursions including a boat / coach trip to a glacier and a high speed rib boat trip down through the fjords - I'm not sure if these will be on offer at your ports but I highly recommend them both.

The rib boat was a particular highlight and you enjoy seeing wildlife within spectacular natural scenery then you might be lucky enough to see seals, mountain goats, killer whales, porpoises & sea eagles :)

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip - the people are incredibly friendly (and annoyingly good looking) and the scenery is spectacular.

o6wd8n.jpg

Associate
OP
I have returned so I will post a few photos on here and some comments regarding the holiday.
Norway is expensive, however the fast food / pub food menu's I notice at establishments near the ports or just in the town from the ports. Were not that bad, typically London prices + apx few extra quids.
So quite reasonable for Norway !
The problem I see is that the food outlets have to compete with free / included meals for passages from the cruise ship.
Why would a cruise ship customer give a free lunch / dinner in a lavish restaurant to then pay for lunch in a café !

Bermuda has a similar issue with huge cruise ships with passages not spending much money on the island !
I had a 2 week stay there 2 years back and chatted to some local people about living and working there.

Associate
Going to Tromso in February. Some of those food/beer prices are scary! Hope it's not too bad when i go.

We just got back from Tromso and Svalbard the other week. Its great up there! Svalbard wasn't too bad price wise as its tax free. So prices weren't too far off UK prices(on some things). But Tromso was double the price of Svalbard! If i remember right, in one of the places we ate in, a steak was about £40 and their was a salad for about £55 haha, i didn't even touch the alcohol. If you're spending too much money, then you can always go to the small supermarkets and get food there.

Back
Top Bottom