What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Blackhat - 8/10 Michael Mann can still deliver good action packed cyber-terrorism film. The use of the command line in the film is an excellent touch and far from the usual Hollywood Tech used in the past. But there were some far fetched scenes in the movie as well.

Caporegime
Watched Oblivion on Netflix today.

Nice visuals don't cover over a plot that promises much more than it delivers. There's the murmur of an interesting, tantalising plot running through the film but, in practice, it fails to get much out of a relatively sound set of key concepts. The reveals are poorly paced and overly telegraphed. And, ultimately, the plot leaks like a sieve. A better film could have got a lot more of some interesting ideas.

Having said that, it was enjoyable enough with some nice sense of the spectacular and exquisite panoramas. 6.5/10 - not one to be avoided, but don't go out of your way.

Suspended
Blackhat - 8/10 Michael Mann can still deliver good action packed cyber-terrorism film. The use of the command line in the film is an excellent touch and far from the usual Hollywood Tech used in the past. But there were some far fetched scenes in the movie as well.

I watched this a few weeks ago; I thought it was barely a 6/10 TBH. Poor plot, poor acting, poor actor choice.

Soldato
Before I disappear 8/10 - One of the best films I have seen in a long time
Defo worth a look at

MV5BNjU2MjY1MjA1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2MDMxMzE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Soldato
Age of Adeline
7/10
Not too bad, Blake Lively is mightily attractive and won me bonus points with the missus.

A Beautiful Mind
8/10
Great film. Very sad to hear that the main character, John Nash, died today.

Caporegime
Just watched World War Z

It's a film I'd avoided in the cinema because I loved, loved, loved the book and everyone said they'd ignored everything that made the book good and just made a zombie film with the same title. It's true, there's so little of the truly excellent book in this film it's a real crime. A brave director could have made something amazing, instead they took a good title and made a deeply formulaic disaster/plague/invasion/zombie movie with the hero motivated by saving his family.

But what a deeply formulaic disaster/plague/invasion/zombie movie with the hero motivated by saving his family! Yes, there's nothing much clever about it, but it's very well put together, atmospheric and a lot of fun.

8/10

Caporegime
Just watched World War Z

It's a film I'd avoided in the cinema because I loved, loved, loved the book and everyone said they'd ignored everything that made the book good and just made a zombie film with the same title. It's true, there's so little of the truly excellent book in this film it's a real crime. A brave director could have made something amazing, instead they took a good title and made a deeply formulaic disaster/plague/invasion/zombie movie with the hero motivated by saving his family.

But what a deeply formulaic disaster/plague/invasion/zombie movie with the hero motivated by saving his family! Yes, there's nothing much clever about it, but it's very well put together, atmospheric and a lot of fun.

8/10

Are you out of your mind? It's awful.

Suspended
Before I disappear 8/10 - One of the best films I have seen in a long time
Defo worth a look at

MV5BNjU2MjY1MjA1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2MDMxMzE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Thanks for this, I watched it last night, what a fantastic film! I loved the bowling alley scene and the song, it's definitely worth a watch.

8/10 for me.

I also want to say a big thanks to all those who post in this thread, you've opened my eyes to some movies which I probably would never of watched in my life time if i didn't come and some of those movies have been amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched a small flurry of films recently when ill, which I will attempt to summarise succinctly as possible as follows:

Kingsman - The Secret Service : Amusing action splicing spy-spoof and action in a very polished manner. Kill Bill meets James Bond with a bit of Edgar Wright thrown in.

American Sniper : Self-gratifying 'Muricun flag waving love-in but raises interesting questions on PTSD and the morals of war.

Ex Machina - Atmospheric and disturbing take on a much trodden AI plot path - great soundtrack and strong performances.

Unbroken - Lengthy and confused genre attempt at a WWII biopic. Action scenes thrown in to spend Hollywood budgets and keep masses more interested.

The Railway Man - Touching and emotional portrayal of PTSD, forgiveness and life beyond the harrowing experiences of POW at a human scale.

Whiplash - Absolutely gripping and thrilling spectacle for the senses.

The Imitation Game - Interesting and well-paced biopic of Turing, celebrating the importance of his life's actions whilst showcasing the professional and personal struggles he faced alongside. Cumberbatch can't seem to do much wrong.

Lucy - I can't tell if it is clever, or moronic. Entertaining suspension of disbelief nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom