• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When does Skylake release?

Associate
I've thought about upgrading to skylake but really i doubt it will be much better, It all depends on how much they overclock and IPC improvement over what I've got.

And if its soldered or thermal paste again........

Caporegime
I've thought about upgrading to skylake but really i doubt it will be much better, It all depends on how much they overclock and IPC improvement over what I've got.

And if its soldered or thermal paste again........

I'm considering it myself, but just gotta see a few benchmarks to see what performance is like. A proper soldered chip would be great to see.

Man of Honour
What's the gain meant to be on U and Y variants for gfx?

And 8pack you need to make a couple of tablets. As everyone other than ms suck and MS release schedules are shocking.

Man of Honour
hanks, that would be helpful.
Really want something with 640m or above type gfx power built in. Last lot didn't come that close.

Associate
http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-processors-integrate-iris-gt4e-level-graphics-chip-features-72-execution-units-128-mb-edram-llc/

not the oracle but for this type of report wccftech i think can be trusted.

Compared to Haswell and Broadwell, we are looking at some decent extension in the number of Execution Units till the GT3 iGPU but the GT4e is way beyond the GT3e chips with 72 Execution Units. The chip will be featured across the Syklake S/H/K series processors with 64 MB eDRAM cache on LGA variants and 128 MB eDRAM cache on BGA variants.

Soldato
Doesn't seem a great gain out of it from what I have seen but good enough to wait for if you actually need a new machine. I'm trying to hold off, ideally until zen, maybe AMD can offer more competition and pricing will be better for everyone. As one of my cores just died it's looking a bit iffy for me to wait until zen!

Associate
Would a upgrade from haswell i7 4770k to skylake be worth it when it comes out, ive a new build soon and not sure what to do.

That's the boat I am in as well.

I was originally planning on a switch to a Broadwell i7 5775K and got a Z97 Maximus VII Formula to support that but now it seems like it not really worth it. So bit of a waste on the MOBO. Have to hope I could recover a bit of money if I stick it on Fleabay. Probably Skylake is the way to go but might be worth waiting until 2016 to see how prices and techs shake out a bit before taking the plunge.

Permabanned
So a few asking about upgrading from the 4790k is worth it.... But how about the 2500k?
My gpu is and 6950 so that's a deffo upgrade around Christmas. It seems that most games nowadays though... Are asking for a better cpu then the current one I have. I think even the oculus wants the 4 series cpu.

Associate
So a few asking about upgrading from the 4790k is worth it.... But how about the 2500k.

I have a 2500k and have been waiting to upgrade to skylake, a lot of people moved on from the 2500k but I thought it was still a very capable processor!

I'm upgrading regardless of the performance results, as I'm hoping I should see a decent enough improvement.

Back
Top Bottom