Spec me a TV 42"

Associate
As the subject. My mum has moved into a new property, and her current Panasonic 32" is simply too small now

She has asked me to get a TV that is in the 42" bracket. Doesnt really care about 4K or 3D.

Any current recommendations for a good TV to go for?

Associate
i would prioritise

smart tv or include chromecast/roku in budget...if shes a skype user then its a big benefit to take make/calls in the living room. Smart tv is typically simpler to use/support for parent...Samsung probably lead in software area. Web browsing on TV is also very useful for some, test browser support and performance on favourite websites. wifi may be important if running a cable (much preferred) is not possible.

Consider requirement/Test PVR Performance(/Compression)...recording to usb/hdd can be very useful and cheap and simple.

Consider how many inputs your going to need.

Test them out in person in store, there is a lot of guff/marketting features that make little difference to real world use. But also things behind the scenes that are difficult to percieve eg web browsing performance.

Picture quality is not usually an issue above complete budget apart from die hard av fans, but seeing in person can also confirm this.

Id value warranty very highly.

4K is not critical, like for like id value it as +20% cost due to only piece of mind, content is not widely available, and even less important on small tv sizes.

3D is a non issue/gimmick spend the money on something else.

id start with samsung for a smart tvs, but if not required, id start with sony/panasonic for a trusted brand in tvs.

Caporegime
does your mum care about PQ at all? as in is she an enthusiast?

if not then just buy the cheapest 42" you can find in online or local supermarket, cash and carry or bargain shop. i doubt she would appreciate the difference in quality for the money spent if she's not an enthusiast and is just using it for eastenders, britains got talent and the like.

if you want a tv that will last then buy whatever the cheapest 42" is from john lewis and you will receive a free 5 year warranty as standard. if something doesn't break within 5 years then chances are it should last a long time if it does john lewis will sort it for you.

Associate
OP
My mum is not really an enthusiast about much, will mainly use it for Sky HD, Blu-Ray and hooking up the laptop to the TV when its movies time (only when im there for that one)

She is complete amateur, which is why she has left the decision making to me, as im sure the popular high street TV store would baffle her with science without me around

I think I might have persuaded her to upgrade to a much larger 48" TV, it is the Samsung UE48H6400 which won me over with all of the awards that it seems to have won, from a lot of places, plus being priced at £529 it sounds like quite a bargain

Associate
I think I might have persuaded her to upgrade to a much larger 48" TV, it is the Samsung UE48H6400 which won me over with all of the awards that it seems to have won, from a lot of places, plus being priced at £529 it sounds like quite a bargain

I picked up that Samsung a couple of months ago and I've been really enjoying it - good colour response, nice movement (if you turn off the slightly strange motion control software!) and the smart tv features are good too, I honestly can't fault it for the price.

Associate
OP
I would have gone to Richer Sounds, but unfortunately this set was not available to buy online, was pickup in store only, and where my mum is, the nearest store was around 23 miles away, so that was not an option, John Lewis strangely did not have this on the website, why im not sure about

Back
Top Bottom