• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 970 SLI - 4k?

bru

bru

Soldato
Seeing as you already have one 970, getting another one is the only sensible option. If it isn't fast enough then you have two to sell on instead of one. If it is fast enough for you then you have saved a bundle of cash.

Soldato
OP
Seeing as you already have one 970, getting another one is the only sensible option. If it isn't fast enough then you have two to sell on instead of one. If it is fast enough for you then you have saved a bundle of cash.
Yeah that was my thought - just for 1440p or 4k is the decider :p.

From what I've read, the 9 series works fine in SLI with g-sync, anybody able to confirm?.

Associate
Yeah that was my thought - just for 1440p or 4k is the decider :p.

From what I've read, the 9 series works fine in SLI with g-sync, anybody able to confirm?.

depends what games your planning to play + settings, if its something like TW3 then youll probs manage around 30 fps on high-ultra settings at 4k. If youre happy with that then go for 970 sli, personally i wouldnt.

Soldato
970's in sli will get about the same performance as my xfire 290's.

In gta v at 4k i have most settings on very high appart from grass and it says at 60fps. Sli 970s should perform the same unless u hit vram limits

Soldato
Trust me, 4K is so overwhelmingly superior in output that you don't notice the difference between high/v high and ultra.

All i was saying is that 970 SLI is much more capable at 4K than some of the posts in this thread make out.

Yeah I reduced settings on Witcher 3 and I really struggled to see the difference due to the massive pixel density.

On GTAV on the absolute max settings I get low 40s min and high 50s max and it's as smooth as anything with Gsync. I'm running Titan Black SLI so around the same as two 980s and have had no SLI / Gsync issues that some have had on Maxwell.

I've probably jynxed myself saying that lol.

Associate
Still think you're better off with a single 980Ti rather than SLI 970s if you really want ultra settings for the foreseeable future. If you find the 980Ti struggling you could always SLI it in the future. This is also not too terrible financially as 970s still have a good resale value. Strongest single GPU is usually the recommended course.

970s in SLI are known to be susceptible to problems at 1440p so forget about ultra at 4k although as others have said it's not really needed at 4k.

Associate
Hi,

I have two 970s in SLI and game at 4K.

BF4 ran like a dream. I can't remember precisely what settings I used but they were pretty much maxed out. I didn't have any AA on but you from what I've seen you don't notice it at all in 4K (except perhaps in GTA V).

GTA V runs great if you turn the grass density setting and shadows down.

The Witcher 3 isn't playable with everything on ultra. I have it all set to the second highest setting with AA off and it runs fine.

One thing that I'm certain of now - I'd much rather play a game at 4K with medium settings than at 1080/1440 with everything on Ultra. It really does blow you away at times.

edit - Perhaps you would be better off waiting to see what AMD have to offer?

Last edited:
Associate
Try running Dying Light at 4k on 970 SLI its a hitch fest :(

From personal experience at 4k with SLI 970/980/Titan X the VRAM is a big factor of course and 4GB is gonna run out very fast.

I am surprised by games like Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 that are stunning looking games using less than 3GB

GTA 5 likes to use 7-8GB on my TX's

Associate
Just look at the Titan X overclock vs 970 SLI 4k video on YouTube by digital foundry and you will see what I mean when I say the 980Ti with a good OC will keep up with 970 SLI. I say this because the 980Ti is specced so close to the Titan X but with half the vram. minimums and overall consistency will be better too. I can't link the video directly as this is a family friendly forum so no swearies linkable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm, guess waiting a short while may be a good idea.

Want to upgrade from 1080p but x 980's are not quite strong enough for 4k for my liking (as a long term solution). While 1440p is attractive, it hardly seems worth the investment with 4k just around the corner.

If I could pick up 2 cards for around £1k-£1.2k for 4k at good frames I'll be happy, but at this stage they don't yet exist. (for next gen games coming out right now)

I think I'll take the advice & wait for the next round of releases!.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom