• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Review Thread**

Soldato
wow, really surprised at this card especially the price/performance Nvidia released it at. I mean this renders the Titan-X obsolete. People say they knew the 980Ti was coming, but most people assumed it would between July and September and that it's performance would be sort of between the 980 and Titan-X.

Very strange of Nvidia to basically kill off a card in two months!! Sorry don't want to sound like I am bashing the owners of Titan-x because I am not. I am a little shocked to be honest.

Does this move indicate that Nvidia are worried about the upcoming releases from AMD?

Associate
Not sure where people are getting £500/550 prices for the 980ti. No such indication based on the US prices. More like £650/700 and considering you can actually get a titan X for under 800 nowadays, there isn't as big a chasm as people think.

The titan X is better, there is just no doubt about it (even though performance-wise they are close). Seems a 4-5% performance difference between the two. Also, in multi-monitor/4k gaming scenarios, my money would still be on the TX. Whether people think that the price/performance ratio is worthwhile, that is entirely up to them. We had a similar discussion when the 780 came out after the original Titan.

Was trying to work out why you were sticking up for Titan x so much, then I saw your sig and you have 2 of them.

All I can say is ouch, unlucky mate :D

Soldato
Ha, I'm running a little ol' i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz on a tiny Z77 mATX board. Alas! Neither have provided anywhere near a bottle neck unlike my 780. I almost bought a 980 tonight... SO glad I was told about the 980ti.

Haha, yeah i must admit it doesn't struggle, i may sell this and drop in an i7 just for good measure!

Associate
I doubt you can "shop wisely" and save over £100 when all the competition is that much higher.
The CHEAPEST titan X in the UK from a repuatable site I have seen is £825 excluding a tenner shipping, with one being £790 from someone I have never heard of. I searched every single PC part retailer in the UK I know of, I would list them but this forum has that anti-competition rule.

Yep i dont know where he is getting 699 from. Ocuk is competitively priced and is 850+ on here. I saw one on Craigslist for 600 second hand that looked stolen

Caporegime
Very strange of Nvidia to basically kill off a card in two months!! Sorry don't want to sound like I am bashing the owners of Titan-x because I am not. I am a little shocked to be honest.

Have to agree with this, was quite quick!!! I'd have expected the TX to have at least 5/6 months in the limelight. If it was desperation or just arrogance, guess we'll see soon enough...

Associate
No different to what happened with 780s and Titans. Didn't affect the price of the Titan at all (no more than general ageing does anyway). Also didn't prevent people who wanted/needed Titans from buying them, just like it won't with TXs.

Except the old titan had compute advantages like extra floating point performance etc. The titan x has no such advantage. In gaming it is within a few fps of a 980ti at stock. When both are overclocked the 980ti wins most of the time, obvs depending on lottery.

Soldato
No different to what happened with 780s and Titans. Didn't affect the price of the Titan at all (no more than general ageing does anyway). Also didn't prevent people who wanted/needed Titans from buying them, just like it won't with TXs.

The original Titans had double precision, which was great for compute. The TitanX doesn't have it - it's just a 980TI with 6GB more VRAM. It's value has plummeted already.

Soldato
I doubt you can "shop wisely" and save over £100 when all the competition is that much higher.
The CHEAPEST titan X in the UK from a repuatable site I have seen is £825 excluding a tenner shipping, with one being £790 from someone I have never heard of. I searched every single PC part retailer in the UK I know of, I would list them but this forum has that anti-competition rule.
He is quoting some fabled euro pricing. Whilst they did dip quite low at one point the basic models are now €1049 + shipping. So not really worth the risk and hassle ordering from outside the UK when you consider the recent price here at OcUK.

Soldato
That's tempting.... would have liked under the 500 mark mind.

Will hold out in case AMD pull one out of the bag so to speak. with drivers too :rolleyes:

Associate
Was trying to work out why you were sticking up for Titan x so much, then I saw your sig and you have 2 of them.

All I can say is ouch, unlucky mate :D

With the monitor setup I run and the consequent res, the 980ti and 6gb wouldn't cut it, so unsurprisingly, i don't feel unlucky.

The original Titans had double precision, which was great for compute. The TitanX doesn't have it - it's just a 980TI with 6GB more VRAM. It's value has plummeted already.

Agree re: DP. Not seeing this plummet you talk of though. Bit dramatised.

Back
Top Bottom