Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Thinking of jumping into getting a pi2 but having some reservations as the first thing I would be wanting to use it for a VPN to remove the insecurities of public WiFi(from my phone, I use it a lot when out and about)

Only issue is I have a windows phone and the only vpn protocols are ikev2 and l2tp via ipsec which means openvpn cant be used. I found a guide for strongswan I think its called but it looks so complicated.

I'm getting the lend of a pi2 soon to see if I can work it out :)

Soldato
Ive had my pi running a plex server for a few weeks now and its great apart from one flaw that i found last night.

I put something onto the server to watch there and then but plex only updates hourly!

Its to much effort to go into the pi and do a forced refresh.

My other problem is i use my Samsung tvs plex app as i have all HDMI used up on the tv.

Anything i can do?

Can plex do a constant scan for new media?

Soldato
Ive had my pi running a plex server for a few weeks now and its great apart from one flaw that i found last night.

I put something onto the server to watch there and then but plex only updates hourly!

Its to much effort to go into the pi and do a forced refresh.

My other problem is i use my Samsung tvs plex app as i have all HDMI used up on the tv.

Anything i can do?

Can plex do a constant scan for new media?

If you go to the WebUI you should have the option to reduce this time from 1 Hour to (I think) 15mins.

I belive there is also a way to update when media is added with a bit of scripting.

Soldato
I'm using the beta version which isn't available from any of the repos, can't remember where I found it but I've rehosted it

https://cloud.baucutt.me/public.php?service=files&t=u0hAi3SsdNubMdB

https://cloud.baucutt.me/public.php?service=files&t=6YpuC4ih0WrwHl6

ive installed it, logged on to the master server when i open the app i have plexque sign out or refresh data, how do i work this because nothing is showing for me, and when i try send something via airplay on my mobile it still does nothing.

Soldato
That's all I did with the plugin and it allows me to stream local and over the internet from both of my Plex servers

You legend, got it working. I had to manually input my Primary server address and now it works. So happy to have a Plexapp working on my Pi.

How do i create a back up of my Pi incase something happens ? :)

Soldato
Got a lend of a pi today (friend got a pi2) to see if I can setup a VPN for my windows phone before I actually buy a pi myself.

First things first, VNC! get rid of my extra keyboard and mouse lol

Soldato
So far: vnc installed and working, strongswan installed and setup for VPN but I have a feeling I have done something wrong, as my phone doesn't recognise the usernames or passwords I have put in. Need to start from scratch and work through it.

Soldato
Managed to track down the issue to my phone and the fact the cert doesn't install properly

So Ikev2 is out the window.

Next option is l2tp via IPsec using a PSK. I am hoping this will work better as nothing needs installed on my phone, it can all be done on the pi itself.

Literally all I want to achieve is a connection to my home network from my phone via cellular and would rather not go with 3rd party services to get a VPN. This will be tomorrows task though lol

Back
Top Bottom