ASUS 34″ Ultrawide PG34Q QHD IPS 21:9 Curved G-SYNC Monitor

Soldato
the display manufacturers are limited by the panels available in the market, not to mention bandwidth limitations of providing 3440 x 1440 @ 120/144Hz.

There aren't any IPS-type panels with high refresh rate other than the 27" 2560 x 1440 panel used in models like the ACer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q. There's a new 35" AU Optronics AMVA panel which is 2560 x 1080 @ 144Hz but getting 3440 x 1440 @ 144Hz is another question! especially from IPS panels. LG.Display dont even have any current 144Hz IPS panels in their lineup, and they're the only ones with 34" widescreen IPS-type panels at the moment

This has been one of the reasons I've not really made the jump from my 60hx 1440p panel to something quicker. While I need IPS for my photography I'd also like to try the higher refresh rates but don't want to loose the colour reproduction. However, I've never had an issue with 60-85hz and can't justify moving from a 27" to another 27" for minimal gain.

Soldato
Moving from locked 60hz screens to 30-80Hz~ variable cheaply is what we need to happen.

144 HurtZ! for £1000 a pop can wait. Speaking of price how much?

Last edited:
Associate
the display manufacturers are limited by the panels available in the market, not to mention bandwidth limitations of providing 3440 x 1440 @ 120/144Hz.

There aren't any IPS-type panels with high refresh rate other than the 27" 2560 x 1440 panel used in models like the ACer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q. There's a new 35" AU Optronics AMVA panel which is 2560 x 1080 @ 144Hz but getting 3440 x 1440 @ 144Hz is another question! especially from IPS panels. LG.Display dont even have any current 144Hz IPS panels in their lineup, and they're the only ones with 34" widescreen IPS-type panels at the moment

Do you mean that Acer is the only one who had the exclusive on the AUO ones and that there is no other manufacturer (LG, Samsung maybe) that even planned to make any 3440x1440 >60Hz? That'd be quite a gloomy future, which also means that both Acer and Asus can basically ask all the money they want for these ones.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
no, i'm saying that in the 34" space only LG.Display manufacture IPS panels at all at the moment. Neither Samsung (PLS) or AUO (AHVA) have any development in those sectors yet, and nothing planned or in roadmaps that i've seen so far. So both Acer and Asus (and anyone else who wants to develop a screen in this space using IPS-type technology are currently limited to those panels available form LG.Display. And LG.Display don't have ANY current high refresh IPS panels at all :(

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Soldato
Given that Acer have a virtually identical monitor releasing fairly soonish, and that is 75Hz, I would expect this to be 75Hz minimum.

Maybe Asus could even push for 85Hz on current panel tech? 85Hz is a definite improvement over 60Hz, and I think I'd settle for that if the rest of the monitor shapes up nicely. 120Hz on my Rog Swift is very nice, but with recent games there are not many times I ever go above about 90fps these days anyway.

If it's only 60Hz then they really aren't listening to gamer's feedback, at all!

Soldato
Just went and looked at the http://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/06/asus-34-ultrawide-qhd-ips-219-curved-g-sync-monitor/ page...

"As we get more details and get close to the launch more details will be update in the post. At this time we are only noting 60Hz support as that is a guarantee without issue at this time."

Sigh. Looks like I won't even be looking at new monitors for quite some time yet. And that possibly means that Acer will be over pushing the tech to hit 75Hz on theirs.

Anyone daft enough to buy an overpriced, 'overclocked' Acer monitor? I don't think I am given the debacle of quality control for their recent 2450x1440 IPS Gsync screen.

Caporegime
I hope we have freesync 34" 1440 75HZ screens coming this year too... and not by acer!

I would be happy enough with this assuming it doesn't have issues, I just hope it doesn't cost more than £800 at the very max....

Soldato
It says 75Hz here

h4td3V1h.jpg.png

EW4c9ZSh.jpg.png

So it does! Well spotted that man :)

I don't think it's worth getting excited about though - this monitor is very much a prototype and may never get consumer release (though by the looks of it its probably an identical panel and tech to the Acer one).

By the time it might release, we might be onto displayport 1.3 and full on 120Hz for superwide and 4K will be available. Who knows eh?

Soldato
I look forward to buying one of your guys old monitors off you in the members market - I'm not keen on signing up to one GPU manufacturer with Gsync/Freesync at the moment tbh, rather let it bed in and ideally see a standard across GPUs.

Caporegime
I have a 19" 1280x1024 lying around if you want it? :p Still got my dell u2311h too, although that is a backup in case anything were to go wrong with my current screen.

I have so much PC stuff that I could sell on and get a decent sum for but... I am too lazy and cba with the faff :o

And yup, I hate the thought of being tied to a gpu brand if I where to get a g or free sync screen, unfortunately I can't see it changing any time soon although I do think nvidia will support adaptive sync at some point in the future, as atm it only really seems like acer and asus are interested in gsync...

Soldato
Still not sure about this being 75Hz now. On this page which is modded by a pretty helpful and informed bloke called JJ, it still sounds like 60Hz to me, and lists 60Hz in the specs of the main page...

2. What is the refresh rate?

At this time 60Hz, currently to reach beyond this refresh rate a panel needs to be developed in this aspect ratio and resolution as well as designed to operate at this high refresh rate. Beyond this due to the increased resolution there are bandwidth limitations with the current DP implementation. As the unit support G-SYNC the G-SYNC controller currently can not support the new DP 1.3 specification which would allow for near 4K or 4K+ resolutions at refresh rates higher than 60Hz. With this noted the monitor is still under design and development and the final specification has not been defined.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/06/asus-34-ultrawide-qhd-ips-219-curved-g-sync-monitor/

Man of Honour
I think we are going to have to wait and see. The Asus screen is a prototype/idea at the moment so could well change before release. Especially if Acer do manage to squeeze 75Hz properly out of the same panel. Of course that may end up being 60hz as well possibly. Too early to tell.

Back
Top Bottom