The *Official* Eve Online Thread

Soldato
Ive been toying with getting started in EVE for a long time.....I just dont know where to start.

Ive been pumping hours into Elite and feel like I could do with stepping up into this.

I know its got a massive learning curve, but im prepared to invest the time if the payoff is what I think i will be.

Ive seen people on other sites posting links to 30 day trials that gives a kick back to the poster if I sign up fully....are there any of those around here that would help somebody up when I sign up ?

And is there an OCUK guild/clan/corporation thingy to join ?

Buddy Invite Trial

Many options for starting off really. Kinda depends what you are interested in doing!
Best off to follow through some of the starter/training missions to get the basics of how to play then join something like Eve Uni who will train you further. Personally I'd not hang around in Eve Uni for an extended period, I'd use them to learn some stuff then move onto playing with a group of people with similar interests to what you have. Whether that be exploration, nullsec warfare or something else. I'd avoid getting stuck into the endless grinding loop of just doing missions to make money though, you'll get bored quick!

No OcUK corp as such these days. There is an OcUK chat channel but most don't even join that these days, so not really any proper community feel like their was a couple of years ago. That said it's by no means difficult to find other people to hang with, just keep in mind that you can't necessarily trust others!

Soldato
Ive been toying with getting started in EVE for a long time.....I just dont know where to start.

Ive been pumping hours into Elite and feel like I could do with stepping up into this.

I know its got a massive learning curve, but im prepared to invest the time if the payoff is what I think i will be.

Ive seen people on other sites posting links to 30 day trials that gives a kick back to the poster if I sign up fully....are there any of those around here that would help somebody up when I sign up ?

And is there an OCUK guild/clan/corporation thingy to join ?

Here you go: https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=04b43af4-5b62-4291-b768-57f82df3c415&action=buddy

There is no OCUK corp but if you want a hand ingame just let me know your ingame name either here or through trust and I can give you a hand introduce you to who I and a few other OCUK members run with and give you the Plex if you chose to subscribe.

Note to everyone here. When people apply from OCUK can we kick the full PLEX back to them whatever link they chose to help them along as let's face it we're already probably rich enough and EVE always needs new blood. Just a suggestion. Some of the posts on here (and none related to this one) are almost like people are trying to scam fellow OCUK members and we should kind of keep that stuff away from here. Just my personal opinion of course and in full knowledge we all do things differently.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are plenty of knowledgeable people who can help you. I would echo what PinkFloyd said about getting stuck doing missions that's just a way to slowly get bored of the game. A lot depends on your nature and what you want to do. I love the exploration angle these days I used to love the PVP and the corp management side. I think I may at some point do some serious industry - we'll see.

There are plenty of good groups there that will take you in from day 1 too. If you were to say to us I want to be a pirate or I really want to be a captain of industry then I am sure the collective knowledgebase we all have can point you in the right direction.

Soldato
Just got back into this after a 4 year break, really lacking cash badly though, need to figure out how the hell to make a few quick billion so i can get a stockpile of ships up.

Associate
So I see Steam has a daily deal on right now.....

Can anyone explain what all these options are -

Capture_zpsfmsw8ouv.jpg

Thinking of pulling the trigger anyway at those prices.....

Man of Honour
Starter pack is the basic game with some mining extra to start you off - premium edition has various "add ons" (bit of a cheek calling them add ons) which give you a tiny head start if you want to explore various common avenues in eve plus some additional ship skins, etc. (Most of this stuff can be acquired ingame as you play anyhow - just takes a little more effort as a new player).

The other 2 options are basically options for paying for your subscription.

Just got back into this after a 4 year break, really lacking cash badly though, need to figure out how the hell to make a few quick billion so i can get a stockpile of ships up.

Go hunting people's off grid boosters in low sec - friend of mine has collected over 100 faction CPU mods alone, let alone other module drops, in a few days of doing that :S (does take a bit of technique and experience though to catch them).

EDIT: JK about that one as while lucrative it takes a certain mindset and outlay to catch them.

Last edited:
Associate
Ahhh...just found the descriptions on STEAM

Premium sounds like a bit of me.....

The Premium Edition includes:

Core Starter Pack (including 30 days of game time)
Colonist Add-on
Explorer Add-on
Industrialist Add-on
Skirmisher Add-on
Abaddon Tash-Murkon Battleship skin
Hyperion Innerzone Shipping Battleship skin
Maelstrom Nefantar Battleship skin
Rokh Wiyrkomi Edition Battleship skin
1 PLEX (30 additional days of game time)

That just leaves the subscription plan and PLEX to fathom out......

Will the premium get me going straight away or do I need a sub/PLEX as well ?

And what is PLEX.......do i need that and a SUB ?

Man of Honour
PLEX is basically like a token that can be used to pay for your subscription as an alternative option to directly paying with cash to CCP - there are various ways to acquire them including buying ingame with the ingame currency. You can also buy them outside of the game from authorised resellers and then either use them to extend your subscription or sell ingame for ingame currency.

This means that if you have a decent source of ingame currency the game can effectively become free to play.

Soldato
Isn't buying Eve via Steam now entirely locked into Steam? I'd not want to be trapped into having to use Steam to play.... it'd then scare me with how many hours I've played!

I know that feeling as I have EVE droid on my phone and it says 8767 hrs for my main and over 6k for my alt accounts.

Associate
I always want to play Eve and I've started several times with friends from other MMO's and usually get stuck in the rut of mission running and then just get bored with it all an quit.

Really got an urge to get back into it as in principle Eve is a fantastic game, I just think you need like minded people to play with and sometimes hold your hand through the complex universe and systems.........I have no attachment to my old accounts so quite tempted to go again from scratch if I could find a decent group of laid back non hardcore players to hang with and enjoy the game.

Man of Honour
You know what the answer to that is then!!! Don't be unsubscribed!

(3/4 of mine are unsubbed again :/)

Can't see that happening :S

Read something the other day where they were talking about giving capitals stance "modes" :( sounded like something out of WoW dunno whats wrong with triage/siege mode as is and maybe spend the dev time developing compelling areas to use them instead :S

Plus I've been a lot more productive IRL since I canned eve entirely lol.

Back
Top Bottom