How much did it cost you get married?

J.T

J.T

Soldato
£0, not married yet even though we have been together for over 22 years have three children a house a Car and a fish together.

Why spoil it! lol j/k ;)

Seriously though if we were to come into some extra money I would marry my good lady in a heart beat but as it stands every time I get a bonus or whatever the money is already spent. :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
Fair play to all those throwing down big-bucks for a lavish spectacle, but I'm also going to say we're in the "cheap wedding - big honeymoon holiday" camp as well...

Minimal no-nonsense registry office wedding - might at least get a dress and suit for a picture or two, with some immediate family as witnesses... then planning to go hopping around a bunch of locations in America (never been!). Then probably have a little get together with friends and family when we get back to celebrate (nothing fancy though probably just a meal out or a BBQ or something)

I can't think of a better way to celebrate (or an excuse for an awesome trip) - we've been together going on 10 years anyway, lived together probably about 7 or 8 of those and already bought a house together so at this point it's really a bit of a formality

The hardest part of the whole thing is working out where in America to go - we have a big list of places we would want to visit but feel like they are probably too spread out to get around it all so have to make some tough choices!

We did California via Vegas road trip for honeymoon. Was brilliant. :cool:

Associate
Me and my missus eloped due to her parents being quite strict Muslims. Cost us about £250 for a special license, £30 for a new hat for her and £50 for the cheapest rings we could find (didn't have much more than two pennies to rub together). Despite that and the fact that most of my family and friends had no more than a couple of hours notice, about 300 people turned up :)

Soldato
We're getting married in France this August (she is French). Total cost for everything not including the honeymoon will be around nine thousand Euros or a bit less than £7000. There will be 80 people at the reception.

I was aiming for £6000 maximum, so not far off.

Associate
We are getting married in around a month. We had a budget of £2000 and somehow it's gone up to £5000! Biggest increase was the wedding rings, we budgeted £300 for them and they came in at £1200, that included a discount for using our own gold and having it melted down into rings! We have 25 people in the day and another 25 in the evening to take it to 50. I've literally no idea how it got so expensive, things just run away with you.

Soldato
Been to a wedding here in NZ in January where just the rings, just the RINGS cost in excess of 20k. I think the wedding dress was 12k and the cost of the venue 15k. I stopped asking about the rest as I was close to a heart attack at that point. Bride and groom is a teacher and electrician respectively. On decent money but nowhere near the type of money this wedding must have cost. He 'did it for her as it was her dream'.

I'm sorry but get new dreams. Or dream on.

Soldato
We're getting married in France this August (she is French). Total cost for everything not including the honeymoon will be around nine thousand Euros or a bit less than £7000. There will be 80 people at the reception.

I was aiming for £6000 maximum, so not far off.

Nice, what part of France? If you don't mind me asking? Me and the missus tied the knot in France too. Had about 50-60 + a few locals who hadn't a clue what was going on and just turned up in the evening. Managed to keep the cost down to about 6-7k aswel. Best thing about it (apart from the weather) was the food. Was definitely a step up from the typical Turkey and ham dinners that are the norm here in NI.

Man of Honour
£0, not married yet even though we have been together for over 22 years have three children a house a Car and a fish together.

Why spoil it! lol j/k ;)

Seriously though if we were to come into some extra money I would marry my good lady in a heart beat but as it stands every time I get a bonus or whatever the money is already spent. :(

Everyone is different but for me it's not about money. If I was the poorest person in the world but loved my partner enough to get married thenI'd just do it for the absolute minimum cost.

Associate
I watched a couple getting married at the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas a few years ago, nobody else with them apart from the legal person doing the ceremony and us onlookers, they really looked in love.

Never felt to ask about their back story, it was their moment, but seemed the best way to do it to me, no ****ers hanging on for a free night out.

Man of Honour
15 years here and the wedding cost a few hundred (not including the honeymoon).

It would be great if somebody had done a study on cost of wedding v how many years married.
It is my thought that the lower cost weddings lead to longer years married and those with money grabbing want to be a Princess for the day brides don't last long.

Man of Honour
It would be great if somebody had done a study on cost of wedding v how many years married.
It is my thought that the lower cost weddings lead to longer years married and those with money grabbing want to be a Princess for the day brides don't last long.

I agree. We had also been together for 8 years before getting married. Our wedding was for us and not other people. Simple. No fuss. But with an amazing holiday and no debt at the end of it to stress us out. If I were ever to get married again in the future and the woman expected a lavish wedding then I would know it wasn't the right woman. We probably did do it a bit too cheap in retrospect but I prefer that to making the mistake of spending too much.

Soldato
Starting plans now towards a wedding next July. Its a real challenge between the line of it being just about us and then wanting to share it with the family. We have kids so feel they should be there, our parents are important to us both so naturally we want them there too.. after that the waters get muddy sisters, brothers, cousins who are close.
Still a lot of decisions to be made but the initial plan is that its going to be a small late in the day ceremony which leads straight into a buffet/evening do. If things start to get rough we'll elope and do it one weekend ;)

We've been together for 7 years now, lived together for 3 through some pretty tough times and she's been utterly brilliant throughout so over time (and I swore I would never get married again after the last one) I have come to change my mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom