A chance of losing my job soon

Soldato
Good luck.

I know loads of people bailing to Aldi. Store Manager is around a £10-£15k pay rise from 'big four' department manager. Better job security, shorter commute, better promotional prospects (expanding business). It's a no brainer for those wanting to stay in food retail.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not long now.... 3 more shifts to go and I will be a free man.

Had a few up and down months at work but held my head high and carried on as normal. My OP and subsequent posts mentioned I will be made redundant 3rd May. The GM got her dates wrong and it was the 7th June. Saturday is my last shift, day off today though and just had a text message from HM Passport saying my passport is being printed so on Friday 12th, time to book that holiday we have been waiting for for so so long.

I can't wait to start a fresh working life with whoever it will be. I have been looking for work and there are a fair few jobs going locally. Just need to fire of covering letters and CVS over the next month or so and see whats comes back..

Looking forward to everything for once..

Associate
Good Luck.
My mother has taken redundancy from Morrisons as well (didnt want to, but had no other choice really), her last shift is this Friday. She worked in the same store since 1986 when it was a Safeway at that time. She's a couple years away from retirement, but it has really upset her as she has never been out of work since she was 15!
Brian

Associate
Enterprise rent a car are always looking for people, you may have to start as a management trainee but with your experience I would guess you could progress to branch manager within a year, or you can go into one of the none retail shop front rolls.

Check their website under the careers section.

Soldato
Are they allowed to make you redundant then give your job to someone else?

No. They cannot simply make you redundant then fill your old position with someone new - that would be a legal court case battle with compensation.

The POSITION is made redundant not the individual. The company cannot sustain the position (i.e. headcount) or the position is removed due to restructuring (like mine was).

In the US they can do it instantly - you leave then and there with your cardboard box of your possessions. In the UK they have a minimum amount of time and set process, however they can simply ask that you don't work for that period (still paid) and then not work your notice period - as a shortest time the office.

Usually it's best if they do redundancy hard and deep the first time. I've got through company times when they performed three rounds of redundancy - as you could probably guess the morale and atmosphere after too 8-12 months to recover.

The fun comes around the selection criteria. Sometimes they have to issue selection criteria (i.e. headcount where less positions of the same time exist) compared to when they just restructure. The selection criteria often sees HR go through a points system of skills and achievements qualified by the forward vision of where the company wants to get to to ensure the company remains afloat.

Either way redundancy sucks - for the individual, for the good managers, for the good HR and for the good CEO down. Basically it normally means the company ****ed up in steering their internal people to the continue growth and revenue.

You'll go through questioning yourself but don't - it will take time to heal the wounds but look forward, drive yourself there and it's an opportunity. When you look back you see it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just on the Aldi note,

Yes the pay may be slightly better but you will be expected to perform a large amount of duties. For example, rotas to shelf filling (productivity measurements) You will be contracted to 48 hours, though you will get time overworked back.

In regards to promotions, once you reach Store Manager, the chances of progression are very low. You will be working for a young graduate, high aptitude but relatively low experience. That said, i do know of some that made the jump to Area Manager (10+ Years service)

Its not all bad, just go i with your eyes open.

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Soldato
OP
Right now I am not looking for a management position. I have a great chance of seeing my son grow up and taking on a role like what I have now will prevent me doing so. I will be looking for a just a full time/part time job (missus will go back full time if I am doing PT work and vice versa). 39 hours is fine with me, basically go in do the job and leave, regardless where it is. I will always do 100% and more. Being in a management position for many years I will find it hard to break out of the mind set so that will be beneficial to my new employers in many ways. They wont get a slacker for starters.

For now it's time to relax for a while whilst looking for jobs. First and foremost a holiday is much needed.

Permabanned
Like hell I'd be doing my last shift on a Saturday

When I left the prison service my last day was a Sunday, I didn't turn up and they didn't even call, good times!

Soldato
OP
I have always worked Saturdays, I did have the odd weekend off but I don't really do anything on weekends. That will change but as most of my long time work friends are in on Saturday I find it more suitable to say my goodbyes then.

Man of Honour
Get the job applications started now, don't be of the mindset that you're going on holiday and will do it when you get back. You could be missing out on good opportunities.

Holiday would be the last thing on my mind! I'd find it difficult to relax if I didn't have a job to come back to (looking at the OP suggests you may only have 3 months worth of cash available?)

Caporegime
I can't wait to start a fresh working life with whoever it will be. I have been looking for work and there are a fair few jobs going locally. Just need to fire of covering letters and CVS over the next month or so and see whats comes back..

I'm just baffled that you've not been doing this already? Not to have a go or anything, wish you luck etc.. am just surprised that you've not already been applying for jobs.

Soldato
Hi guys. Current employer is going through a management restructure. I am a manager and have been for 12 out of the 14 years I have been there. We knew about it last year and we were due to start the phasing before Christmas but they decided that was a bad time to go through the process. No **** sherlock :rolleyes:

We have a few different phases we (managers) have to go through from a Written test, Numerical test and a personal questionnaire. Then it's on to the interview. Obviously automatically put forward to apply for the current job and then having to choose 2 others to go for in case you're not successful for the first choice. Also we can opt in for redundancy if we so wish.

During these phases we also have three one-2-ones which are a discussion about how we are all feeling and a bit on an insight to how all the restructuring works etc..

Last week I did my online assessment (tests), Department Phase tests (for the dept I am going to apply for), my actual interview (HORRIBLE, really really was). Now I am waiting on my second one-2-one interview. Then it's onto the third one and the decision.:(

Not really looking forward to it to be honest but saying that, I have ran the figures (I received a letter with the details of redundancy pay at my forst one-2-one) and taking redundancy WILL be more beneficial (providing I manage to get any job that pays £X per month/four weekly within 3 months of losing my job. Basically a full time job on basic wages, not managerial) to me even though I have just had a new baby boy.

I could be fine if I keep the job but loosing it may be the start of a stress free life and a new start elsewhere.:)

Anyone else been through this?

What company suspect its 'managers' to be functionally illiterate without maths skills? So much so that they need to test you on it?

edit. A supermarket. Just read down further

Last edited:
Soldato
Update:

Had second one-2-one today to announce our propositioned jobs roles..

From the 3rd of May I am being made redundant... It's good news for me, new start, debts cleared etc. Just a bit of a shock that will take a bit of getting used to.

Have to make this short and sweet as I am about to have tea..

Got to say I saw this coming after you said you're on more than any potential 'replacement' in a similar role would be.

Like others have said above, don't wait (any longer!) to get the ball rolling in the search for your next role.

Soldato
OP
Well, that's it. All over. As from yesterday 4pm I clocked out for the last time. Had a few tears with a few colleagues that I have known for 14 years 10 months, very emotional. Some fun times some bad. All memories now. I shall be going in every week though as my missus works there and she will be back when her maternity finishes so all is not lost at least I shall still see them, WORKING..... hahah... Now it's time to move on.

Decided to have a bit of time off. Get garden done for the summer, grabbing a week in Spain some time very soon with the family. I know my severance pay wont last a life time but it will keep me going for a good while. Job hunting is underway, CV done and posted to lots of sites. Generic cover letter done (just need to add/remove bits depending on what position I go for).

All is good and can't wait to see what the future holds.

Oh and anew PC is going to ordered VERY soon :)

Soldato
As someone said above - I don't know anyone who has been made redundant who didn't end up better off overall afterwards.

Even my Dad - who was made redundant by the same company 3 times! No idea how he managed that.

Soldato
OP
As someone said above - I don't know anyone who has been made redundant who didn't end up better off overall afterwards.

Even my Dad - who was made redundant by the same company 3 times! No idea how he managed that.

Your dad was crap at his job just like me.. Not like I have been doing it for over 20 years and don't know what I am doing..:p

Back
Top Bottom