Ford Mondeo Ecoboost 1.6

Associate
OP
Just thought I'd post a follow up for anyone that's interested in one of these.

Handling is slightly worse than my old Mk2.5 Focus, understandably due to the extra weight and length. Power wise the 1.6 turbo engine provides more power than the old 2 litre (160bhp vs 145bhp) and because it's turbo charged you get the nice boost effect. The engine is surprisingly good and more than sufficient for comfortable overtaking.

I've swapped out the standard Ford 6000 standard terribad radio for a Sony one that I purchased for the Focus (originally from a Focus ST2), the bluetooth unit in the Mondeo must either be the same or compatible with the radio as all the bluetooth functions work as they should.

I'd class my runs to work and pottering about as combined milage, the dash reading is showing 40.2MPG whereas my Focus was 40MPG for the same use. On the motorway the average MPG is between 45 and 50 with cruise control at 70mph in sixth gear.

The ride (suspension etc) is much smoother than the Focus and there is much less cabin road noise when driving.

Happy, yes I would say. I miss the 'raw' handling of the focus, but this car's a mile muncher with some added fun when you want it :)

Ninja edit: The road tax is £145 rather than the £180 per year of the Focus, so an extra Brucey Bonus there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like it does the job perfectly. As u say on the motorway the Mondeo is far better than the Focus and your 160bhp should be more than enough to keep u from getting bored.
That's good mpg your getting also I doubt any of the diesel drivers get much more but will have far more expensive bills to pay out for than u.
It's a pity more people aren't taking all these new petrol turbo options instead of constantly buying diesels :mad:

Caporegime
Glad you liked it in the end, I'd never buy without a test drive though, the reason IMO is to uncover any issues rather than get a feel for the particular car usually.

Never come across passengers being an issue in a test either, I recall about 10 years back taking my then 8 year old out in an e39 M5! She loved it and still wants me to buy one today!!!

Enjoy and take note for next time mate!

Associate
OP
Never come across passengers being an issue in a test either, I recall about 10 years back taking my then 8 year old out in an e39 M5! She loved it and still wants me to buy one today!!!

Enjoy and take note for next time mate!

According to the sales chap for the insurance for the test drive, it was no more than 3 people (inc. the sales person) and no under 12's (due to a child seat being needed). It may have been a company policy however.

There were a couple of issues, an alloy wheel needed a refurb and a new tyre was needed as one was warped, both sorted quickly and to my satisfaction. At minimum I'll take any future cars for a test drive without the wife/nipper if needs be.

Associate
I test drove the 1.6 tdci econetic titanium x mondy estate this morning and couldn't help but feel it was underpowered, constantly changing gears and having to change down get get up a hill with ease. I can imagine when fully loaded with passengers and luggage it would be painfully slow. Holding out for 2.0tdci instead.

sneaky

Associate
OP
I test drove the 1.6 tdci econetic titanium x mondy estate this morning and couldn't help but feel it was underpowered, constantly changing gears and having to change down get get up a hill with ease. I can imagine when fully loaded with passengers and luggage it would be painfully slow. Holding out for 2.0tdci instead.

sneaky

The 1.6 TDCI is diesel and 115BHP, this is the 1.6 ecoboost petrol turbo at 160BHP, there's not much info online about these apart from stats, hence why trying to give a 'normal' review of one.

Caporegime
The 1.6 Ecoboost is a good engine by all accounts, and the new mondeo is also a very good platform, so test-drive or not, it was still a pretty good purchase as a general usage motor! :)

Back
Top Bottom