Becoming an Electrician

Associate
You'll need to find a current
course in level 2 and then 3 to gain your city and guilds or equivalent in Electrotechnical Technology (is what its been called).

e.g. City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma .. This is what I did as a part time course
It covered all of the basic electrical principle theory first, and then works up in units to wiring, motors, the grid and further knowledge.

There is another 2357 course which is more suited towards if you already have employment in the field or a
contractor who can support you through it for gaining evidence from jobs. That course doesn't cover as much of the theory, so it is more suited to people who already have some electrical experience.

The portfolio (AM2) tags onto the 2365 which you would complete first otherwise:

Once in the 2365 any electrical experience you do out of college in your own time
you can put towards a portfolio called AM2. And I think you need to have an employer or work based
experience to gain all the relevant evidence for this.

Once the portfolio is complete, or while doing it you get tested on a site or workplace by an electrical trade body e.g. the NICEIC, or equivelent on three jobs before becoming a certified electrician and fully ensured to work in peoples houses as a sole trader or contract electrician etc

The electrical courses have changed over the last few years, and the old City and guilds 2330 which was popular and a well known common electrical course is less frequent in colleges and instead the city and guilds or EAL or another body run these 2365 courses.

The annoying thing is the cost of these courses, which is not that cheap. When I did mine it cost me around 1-2k per year and i'm 23

Edit ( yes what DJMK4 said, passing a standard pretty basic test which covers some health and safety allows you to get a CSCS card, which can be gained by paying to do the test out of college, and you might need this as lot of employers require this to work on big sites.

Last edited:
Associate
Good electricians are in high demand. Go for it.

We have two electricians at work who we call the "Earth Brothers" because they have zero potential between them:)

Soldato
Getting experience is very hard in my personal experience.

Completed my C&G and 17th Edition, ended up getting an apprenteship as that was the only way I could get a career in electrics.

though I would stress it depends on your area.

Back
Top Bottom