• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

better air cooler for referance 980??

Associate
hi guys

ive just bought a refereance 980 with the single fan and its hot n loud :D

are there any better aftermarket coolers that will fit?

i was hoping one of the gelid icy coolers would fit as i have used those in the past on my amd cards but it doesnt say if they fit on a 980 so dont want to buy one if they they nowhere near fit.

i looked at a cheap cpu cooler and a bracket but i read that doesnt cool the vrm enough.

im an engineer by trade before retiring so im not against modifying if i have to butcher something on there to fit,i guess budget £40-50

temps are hitting 80c under full load witcher 3 and thats with fan at 70%..loud is an understatement.

many thanks
dave

Soldato
first i would just check the heatsink screws and tim, i have two and my temps hover around 70c and the fans are not ramping up too much even in the warmer weather

Associate
As above check everything is secure as something certainly doesn't sound right.

My Zotac Ref 980 sits at no more than 70c with the fan at 60% and its almost silent, (PC is in the living room and the wife cant hear it), that's when playing BF4 at 1080p everything at Ultra.

I dont run it overclocked, I keep thinking about it but always chicken out :)

The other thing to look at possibly instead of air cooler for it is the hybrid AIO kit but is over your budget.

Edit.
Mine only becomes noticeably louder at 80% or higher but even then its more or a increased whooshing sound than intrusive noise if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Associate
Not much consolation now, but in the future I recommend Asus Strix/Direct CuII or Matrix Plantinum cards. These have excellent coolers and are extremely quiet in comparison to the competition, some even turn off the fans completely when not gaming.

Associate
OP
980_zpscb3fxzzx.gif
ok guys i will remove the heatsink later on today when ive done making my triple monitor mount and tidied up,hoping its just the paste thats not right.

as you can see with fan at 50% its idling at around 40c no load..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
no im on single 60hz acer monitor,i havent set triples up yet.
clock speeds are untouched and out of the box settings,and using the nvidia 353.06 driver again untouched.

Soldato
Voltage does vary between cards and your voltage looks plausible for your clocks.

Your core clock should be lower than Mattcrane since he is running a 144hz monitor and playing a video.

It would be worth checking your processes tab to see if anything odd is running in the background. It wouldn't cause your high temps but it would explain why the clock is ramped up though its load is so low

Associate
OP
hmm looking at mine vs matts i have a constant 13% video engine load..i cant see anything running to cause that?

ok went thru the nvidia process list in task manager and it was the nvidia capture service that was the 13% load,turned that off(i hope i dont have to this every reboot) and now clocks are at 135/162 at 38 deg idle 28% fan speed and no load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom