Student Loans Company Agressive Letter

Caporegime
OP
For loans since 2010.
Not yours.

-edit
How much of a loan have you outstanding OP?
Fees were not that high 12 years ago, there was a maintenance loan part as well, how many years did you complete before dropping out?
You made a suggestion of being 80 to pay it off, but you can't have 42K in a loan from 12 years ago. How much is your outstanding balance?

You could quite easily work it out from my last post, so I will just say >10k.

Permabanned
No wonder UK economy is in tatters, people like Fox make it that way.

He should have his bank accounts/assets seized and converted in order to pay off that loan...

They should also charge fees for doing all this, something like 200 pounds an hour. Maybe this will teach people.

Soldato
How on earth has OP not figured out yet that they just want to check he's not making >2k in interest? Just send them to bank statements and they'll be off your back, it's not hard.

Caporegime
Surely they don't know how many accounts you might have? (unless you've said too much on the phone already?)

So, send them a statement for the one account that has the least in and forget about it.

all your UK accounts show up on a simple credit check. as does all your loans (mortgages, credit cards, store cards), insurance applications, etc, etc.

the more advanced credit checks show them how much you have in those accounts.

Soldato
Just send them the requested info.

Then sort your life out. Planning to earn £15k for the rest of your life so you don't have to pay something back (that you borrowed willingly) is just stupid.

You already failed Uni, at least do something decent with your life.

The amount you pay back is negligible.

The fact that you didn't even pass make this 10x worse. Borrowed money then squandered it.

I would have the repayment system done on results. Fail, pay it all back, sliding up to getting a 1st pay nothing back. Maybe weight it for certain subject to. Last thing you want is a generation of people taking sociology or photography because it's an easy 1st.

Current Uni generation and recent graduates are already pretty screwed.

Caporegime
I'm not sure anyone knows the precise rules! Couldn't find a precise explanation anywhere, especially as like you said the rules have changed over time!

I really don't see the issue - the rules are different for recent students, that has nothing to do with you

You've got a loan you need to make payments on when you earn X amount or receive interest above Y amount. You were making payments and suddenly stopped, it isn't unreasonable that the government then wants to check that you're not either earning undeclared income or earning significant amounts from savings/investments. If neither of those apply then you have nothing to worry about.

They don't necessarily know what income/support you have - not everyone who suddenly comes off PAYE in their 30s is able to do so because they're living with their parents. Some people do work outside the PAYE system, some people have got significant savings.

Man of Honour
It's Monday....

Have a heart, you don't need to give him more bad news...

Although being pragmatic the answer seems fairly simple, it might seem like an unwarranted intrusion but giving your bank statements to show that your savings will not earn you >£2k in interest per year ought to put this matter to rest. Alternatively you can keep arguing about it but it's unlikely to change anything - £150 for every time they have to re-request information does sound a tad on the steep side though given it'll be a standard letter which will take a maximum of a few minutes to prepare.

Soldato
Sorry if I've missed something, but what gives them the right to demand all his bank statements? This is highly personal data and not something I'll be giving lightly.

Soldato
This thread reminds me I need to contact student loans and see what interest I am paying. I'm going to look into borrowing the money off family, pay off the loan and pay family the interest if the rate is higher than expected.

It certainly was for the first year or two. I was told it would be around 0.5% however the rate in the first year (2007-2008) it was 4.8% :eek: then the year after 3.8%

That added a cool ~£2000 to my loan when I wasn't earning enough to start paying any of it off!

Sgarrista
Commissario
I love how people said they were "mis-sold" the loans.

Anyone starting uni is at the age of being able to read and understand terms and conditions.

If you didn't read them, tough ****, your own fault.

Associate
So what you're saying is you don't want to pay back the money you owe?

I like the judgemental nature of your post. I can guarantee that nobody wants to pay back money they owe, especially to the government. People would much rather they scrapped the debt and said "We'll let you off this time!". :D

Back
Top Bottom