Forgot how bad job searching was :(

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well walked in to work last night to be informed off a temp agency worker that the company who runs the sites lost the contract to someone else now as for where i fit in working for another company contracted it to the first company god knows. but nice to see the manager is showing her normal lazy antics letting agency staff deliver news rather than picking a phone up or emailing me.

now the waiting begins while the company i works for trys and gets a contract to carry on as is or something and of course we'l be the last to know. yay.

Soldato
Not unemployed but looking about for other stuff been where I am (IT Tech in a school) for 18 odd months and can see where it's going in terms of enjoyment. Tried implementing things such as a helpdesk/other tools for staff to use that they don't bother using which makes me thing I'm not going to change the culture here. Working environment is horrible, I'm pretty much right next to the children's toilets.

Seen another job at a university that's almost the same in JD minus tedious stuff I absolutely hate doing (lifted half a ton of paper up two floors last week), but offering a lot more salary wise and the days are shorter etc. Hoping the fact I've worked in three schools in IT is enough to get me an interview. Earned my A+ certification awhile back and doing my Network+ at the end of the month so pretty motivated to crack on at this point in my career (I'm 27)

Thoughts/comments etc? Essentially killing time before applications close tonight and hope to hear back, ha.

Soldato
ggggrrrr. why do so many companies use recruitment agencies????

echoing above posts, they do me head in.

Agency: Ive got the perfect exciting opportunity which would be suited to you.
Me: Sounds good, can you send me the job spec.
Agency: Sends over job spec.
Me: Have you read my CV by any chance?
Agency: Yes of course.
Me: The job is specifically asking for experience in Injection molding and managing a team.
Agency: Oh yes, so it is.
Me: Bye.

the conversation gets echoed no matter which one i talk too.

Caporegime
OP
Not unemployed but looking about for other stuff been where I am (IT Tech in a school) for 18 odd months and can see where it's going in terms of enjoyment. Tried implementing things such as a helpdesk/other tools for staff to use that they don't bother using which makes me thing I'm not going to change the culture here. Working environment is horrible, I'm pretty much right next to the children's toilets.

Seen another job at a university that's almost the same in JD minus tedious stuff I absolutely hate doing (lifted half a ton of paper up two floors last week), but offering a lot more salary wise and the days are shorter etc. Hoping the fact I've worked in three schools in IT is enough to get me an interview. Earned my A+ certification awhile back and doing my Network+ at the end of the month so pretty motivated to crack on at this point in my career (I'm 27)

Thoughts/comments etc? Essentially killing time before applications close tonight and hope to hear back, ha.

See no reason why you wouldn't be a candidate, I got a job in a secondary school having no experience in the education sector. Albeit I have left now, not necessarily for the better at the moment.

Caporegime
OP
ggggrrrr. why do so many companies use recruitment agencies????

echoing above posts, they do me head in.

Agency: Ive got the perfect exciting opportunity which would be suited to you.
Me: Sounds good, can you send me the job spec.
Agency: Sends over job spec.
Me: Have you read my CV by any chance?
Agency: Yes of course.
Me: The job is specifically asking for experience in Injection molding and managing a team.
Agency: Oh yes, so it is.
Me: Bye.

the conversation gets echoed no matter which one i talk too.

Sadly you'll get that pretty much anywhere, the sooner you can speak to an internal contact at the company the better.

Soldato
Following on from my previous post when do most people hear back about being called in for interview after the application process has closed?

This is all a sign I really need to leave where I am, hah.

Associate
I've started looking for another job after 20 years in my current locksmithing one. I enjoy the work but the atmosphere is very toxic and probably will be until the management decides to do something about it. A couple of bad apples really do spoil the barrel, especially when the bad apples are part of the management.

I started straight from college so I don't have much in the way of job hunting experience. I don't even know what I want to do, most likely small assembly work would be my best bet.

Soldato
Following on from my previous post when do most people hear back about being called in for interview after the application process has closed?

This is all a sign I really need to leave where I am, hah.

If you haven't heard in 2 weeks assume you didn't make the cut.

What Windle said is pretty much correct, although this should really be advised to you when you are at the interview.

Any time I am doing interviews for new staff, they are advised the ideal employment date we need from them(always need to be a Monday due to HR induction), and when I have my decision on which candidate I want - they need to be told the Monday before the start date at the absolute latest.

When it comes to feedback as well - every unsuccessful candidate is given proper feedback on what I thought their strengths were as well as what let them down and resulted in not being offered the position. I think this is mainly because it infuriated me when employers never gave me feedback on why they didn't accept me in the past. Cant stand it.

Although in saying that, I had applied for another position 1.5 months before my current job, and I heard back with an offer 1 few weeks after I started my current job.... Almost 2 months before they got back to me with any sort of feedback. Only thing I can assume is that who they chose pulled out or something and they want through the other applicants that applied.

Associate
Well I'm graduating from uni this month and having an awful time of job hunting. Any graduate level job at any large business presumably thousands of applications and I'm struggling to stand out; I didn't go building schools or making wells in Africa and I didn't intern in the City at Summer. I'm just another chap with a 2.1 who did a bit of work through the Summers. What's worse is applying for non-grad part-time stuff (I've also applied to do a masters, so may stay on at uni); it's so time consuming filling out endless forms and questionnaires for 15 hour pw roles in supermarkets...

And I still don't know what I actually want to do :(

Oh well, just got to keep plugging away at it, despite it being a soul-crushing experience.

Soldato
Sadly you'll get that pretty much anywhere, the sooner you can speak to an internal contact at the company the better.

If you hear an agent going through the list.. mark the opportunity as 20%. It is very unlikely that they understand the opportunity or that the company sees anyone that they send through as worth looking at.

Every so often you get an agent that really chats to you for 45-60 minutes, including understanding your experience because she's been in a mobile operator or product management before.. That level is likely to be 40% as they're usually more respected by the company themselves so you're at least likely to get a response - even if it's rejection.

Soldato
Been working back in London for almost 6 months now. My probation is almost up and I'm fairly confident my employer will keep me on. I've completed my first project and they appear to really appreciate the work I've done so far.....

However, this is a problem. I am bored. I'm not being given enough to do. I've been promised that there more work in the coming moths but this doesn't calm my frustration. So much so that I've recently started to accept calls from recruiters - up until a few weeks ago I had been turning them away.

Anyway, I've been put forward for a couple of contract roles. Offering decent money. Have never considered such roles before. Anyone here a contractor? If so what are the benefits? Apart from having lots to do.

Soldato
Been sent a invitation to a video interview (not live) for a Yorkshire water maintenance engineer apprenticeship. Anyone ever done something like this, I'm honesty not sure what to expect or what will be asked.. I passed a first online initial assessment, and this is to go to an assessment centre.

Soldato
I've started looking for another job after 20 years in my current locksmithing one. I enjoy the work but the atmosphere is very toxic and probably will be until the management decides to do something about it. A couple of bad apples really do spoil the barrel, especially when the bad apples are part of the management.

I started straight from college so I don't have much in the way of job hunting experience. I don't even know what I want to do, most likely small assembly work would be my best bet.

It is somewhat accurate to say most people don't really leave jobs/companies, they leave people.

Thug
Soldato
Well I'm graduating from uni this month and having an awful time of job hunting. Any graduate level job at any large business presumably thousands of applications and I'm struggling to stand out; I didn't go building schools or making wells in Africa and I didn't intern in the City at Summer. I'm just another chap with a 2.1 who did a bit of work through the Summers. What's worse is applying for non-grad part-time stuff (I've also applied to do a masters, so may stay on at uni); it's so time consuming filling out endless forms and questionnaires for 15 hour pw roles in supermarkets...

And I still don't know what I actually want to do :(

Oh well, just got to keep plugging away at it, despite it being a soul-crushing experience.

A 2:1 is more than I had, so take heart in that...

In your entire narrative you didn't once mention your degree, even though you stated you might do a Masters! This is showing why you are struggling. Pretend you have two people in front of you who want to work on your car (or some other **** analogy, i'm tired).. One has a general interest in cars, but doesn't really care that you have a pristine Toyota Supra twin turbo, and the other raves other it, he knows the parts, he gulps in delight at the whatever part is cool on a car.

Which one would you rather hire?

It's the summer so you have time, but don't waste this time. Really put some spade work in finding out if not what you want to do (I never had a clue), what you can at least get behind.

Research the roles (even if its still vague, even just an entire industry), and you'll find that you can tailor your CV's and covering letters better when you apply. Rather than some generic ****e you did at university, you can put it within a better context.

The REAL secret is to keep your head up high and realise there are multiple ways to accomplish things in life.

Good luck!

Soldato
Managed to get a new job last week :)

Wasn't even searching, but did want to start.

System admin job going at my partners place, dont have any qualifications or job experience so was not expecting anything.

Had an interview to find out it was a Junior job at min wage (£13500?) so had to turn it down as it was too much of a pay cut. Got called in again a week later for an informal chat about money and said I could drop to 16k for the career instead of a job (Currently secruity) and he said he would have a think and get back to me.

Next day called in again, and was met with a job offer on the table with a starting wage of 18k :o (still a few k less than I am on now) so more than I asked for :D

They will also be putting me threw all the courses etc. I need and comming in above a junior, and told i'll be looking at around 28k around the 5 year mark.

So I guess all it proves is it's not what you know it is who you know (Lost out on a couple of jobs because of this in the past, so happy it has happend to me for a change)

Dead chuffed :D

Soldato
Advise please, currently on 17k working for a council in a admin type of role, however it's not what I want to do. Im 24 in December and may get offered a maintenance engineering or machining apprenticeship type of role for 10k, which then would obviously go to minimum wage the second year which is 12k then I'm not too sure but after the 4 year apprenticeship id say there's a lot more money to be earnt. Do you think it's worth taking the gamble of a pretty big pay cut to maybe earn more in 4 years?

Back
Top Bottom