is firefox the new internet explorer?

Soldato
I'm not sure if I'm mis-understanding you but if you add a speed dial, then click it to open the page and there is a little heart icon on the right of the address bar. Click that and it'll bring up a popup with a left and right arrow which allows you to change what icon that speed dial uses.

Yeah, I know the one you mean, its just some sites dont have any icons to use for some reason, mostly heavily net 2.0 stuff

Soldato
I would guess that most peeps, on this forum are using a 64 bit O/S. So for the life of me i can't understand why any one of you would choose to use a 32 bit browser like FF. I've been using Waterfox since it was in Beta and all it's updates since full release. Never once had a single problem with it at all. Even with 6 or 7 tabs open (never have liked having loads open at the same time), it very rarely uses more than 370mb of ram. Never frozen and never crashed. For peeps that like FF but are fed up with how clunky and hungry it is, ditch it and use Waterfox...................................problem solved.

Soldato
Crikey. Just loaded "Waterfox" after having read this thread!

It is blindingly fast!

(I have, literally, only just opened it so more use will be required to give a more comprehensive review, but the first 15 seconds is very impressive!)

Man of Honour
15 seconds, really? :p

Edit*
nice to see Waterfox is on v38 now. It uses 1.1GB with 13 tabs open (2 youtube). RAM usage certainly isn't lower, but then again it shouldn't be. You want RAM to be utilised, though efficiently. Heavy content tabs load quicker in Waterfox, as you'd expect. Everything else feels the same still.

Last edited:
Soldato
15 seconds, really? :p

Yes really!

(You can do quite a lot in 15 seconds, particularly it would seem using Waterfox!)

As i said, I do not have enough practical experience to give a full review yet. but initial experience is very impressive. Pages open like local files! why (how :confused:) it can be so much faster then Firefox I really do not know (It is, after all, only using the same interweb connection! :confused:)!

Soldato
I would guess that most peeps, on this forum are using a 64 bit O/S. So for the life of me i can't understand why any one of you would choose to use a 32 bit browser like FF. I've been using Waterfox since it was in Beta and all it's updates since full release. Never once had a single problem with it at all. Even with 6 or 7 tabs open (never have liked having loads open at the same time), it very rarely uses more than 370mb of ram. Never frozen and never crashed. For peeps that like FF but are fed up with how clunky and hungry it is, ditch it and use Waterfox...................................problem solved.
Just done this now, didn't realise!

20 seconds later and so far, so good :p

Soldato

Every time I've looked into it there's never been any particularly compelling evidence to suggest that performance is actually usefully better. Plenty of applications we use every day are 32-bit, it's not a big deal really.

I also seem to recall that last time I looked into Waterfox they'd fallen a few versions behind Firefox in terms of updates:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18514050

Last edited:
Soldato
Every time I've looked into it there's never been any particularly compelling evidence to suggest that performance is actually usefully better. Plenty of applications we use every day are 32-bit, it's not a big deal really.

If you were to find the browser you are using to cause you no problems at all, and is as fast as your previous browser, i would say that the performance was certainly "usefully better"

I also seem to recall that last time I looked into Waterfox they'd fallen a few versions behind Firefox in terms of updates:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18514050

Latest version of Firefox is 38.0.5, latest version of Waterfox is 38.............................don't seem to have "fallen a few versions behind Firefox" to me.

Soldato

Your logic is nonsensical. I just did a quick experiment. Same tabs (OcUK Forums, iPlayer, and my email), same extensions (Web2PDF, uBlock, Imgur Uploader and Omnibar). Firefox memory usage: 176MB. Waterfox memory usage: 367MB.

The people having problems with Firefox using too much memory or crashing have something wrong with their configuration or are using badly written addons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using Firefox since back in its earliest Firebird days. Never had a single issue with the browser (ever) and have been loyal to it. That said it has become a bloated, slow bugger over the past year.

Just installed Waterfox to see what the general hype was about. Omg :eek:
I was hesitant as I thought I'd have to build a new profile and lose all the passwords etc on my years old FF one. It seems to be using the old profile though as all my addons, bookmarks are here and boy sites do load up at a silly speed.

So far using up 294mb with 6 tabs open but its still early days yet.

Associate
Hmm. This is mine with one tab:

tab0eso2.png

Using ABP by any chance? My memory usage dropped massively when I ditched it.

What theme is that in your Firefox?

Soldato
Was submitting a post on a forum and firefox has completely died, crashes on reboot. Only addons were ABP and an exif viewer. Need to reinstall to get it to work.

Soldato
Your logic is nonsensical. I just did a quick experiment. Same tabs (OcUK Forums, iPlayer, and my email), same extensions (Web2PDF, uBlock, Imgur Uploader and Omnibar). Firefox memory usage: 176MB. Waterfox memory usage: 367MB.

The people having problems with Firefox using too much memory or crashing have something wrong with their configuration or are using badly written addons.

Got no idea how you can come to the conclusion that my logic is "nonsensical". By your own admission, you had 3 tabs and 4 extensions running and using 176mb. In my post i said i have 6 or 7 tabs running, i didn't say how many extentions, but it is in fact 6. I also said it uses about 370mb of ram in that situation. Now, how can that be "nonsensical", when compared to your example it's using tab for tab and extension to extension about the same amount of memory ? :rolleyes:

Soldato
Got no idea how you can come to the conclusion that my logic is "nonsensical". By your own admission, you had 3 tabs and 4 extensions running and using 176mb. In my post i said i have 6 or 7 tabs running, i didn't say how many extentions, but it is in fact 6. I also said it uses about 370mb of ram in that situation. Now, how can that be "nonsensical", when compared to your example it's using tab for tab and extension to extension about the same amount of memory ? :rolleyes:

It's nonsensical because memory efficiency and usage is far more complicated than the simple difference between 32 bit and 64 bit execution. Simply because a program is 64 bit does not mean that it is more memory efficient.

In my example Waterfox was using almost twice as much memory for the same tabs and extensions.

Soldato
It's nonsensical because memory efficiency and usage is far more complicated than the simple difference between 32 bit and 64 bit execution. Simply because a program is 64 bit does not mean that it is more memory efficient.

In my post i didn't make ANY claims about memory efficiency, all i said was a why use a 32 bit browser with a 64 bit O/S when you could use a 64 bit browser.

In my example Waterfox was using almost twice as much memory for the same tabs and extensions.

I can only assume you are trying very hard to live up to your forum name, of course it was using twice as much memory.................................it was running more than twice as many tabs and twice as many extensions. Maybe you should learn to read before you type. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom