x79 3930k boot issues

Associate
i can set my 3930k very easily to 4.5, with 1.305v and everything else on auto.

boots fine after saving settings, benchmarks all night long with nice cool temps (i have a new, enormous cooling system)

however the next time i try to boot, i usually get an error 00 (i have a rampage gene 4 motherboard) and all i can do is pull the power plug before it will allow me to reboot again.

ive tried setting the startup voltage up to 1.38v but it doesnt seem to make any difference.. any suggestions?

if i cant fix that, the alternative is some windows overclocking software.. however ai suite and intel XTU seem to actually modify the bios, so next time i try to boot, i have the same issues. are there any tweaking apps that let me apply a multiplier change one windows has booted, forgetting it again when i switch off?

iirc the gigabyte software would only apply your overclocking profile while you were in windows ( but didnt actualy work as any changes seemed to crash that machine)

obviously under normal circumstances i wouldnt touch o.c. software with a bargepole, but if it gets the job done...

Associate
OP
yep.. but even a gentle 3.9 - 4 ghz will cause the issue.

its definitely not a power issue either, i have a 1450w psu.

strangely my old machine i7 920 d0 on a gigabyte ud5 has similar issues these days.. used to be rock solid at 4ghz, but now gets stuck often in a boot loop even at 3.4.

obviously i have lumpy electricity.

Man of Honour
Cold boot/reboot failure with an otherwise stable overclock is usually due to the system being unable to ramp the memory up for whatever reason - sometimes there are options for that but I've rarely found them to work - what is your system agent voltage?

Associate
OP
since ive never touched it (or even seen it for that matter) its gonna be set to whatever default is.

if its memory related, maybe the fact i have 32gb (4x8gb) in there is a factor.

Associate
OP
just to note ive tried auto and xmp profiles.. auto sticks my ram at 1333 mhz (from memory, im rendering now so cant fiddle with machine) whereas xmp bumps it up to 1866.

both seem to bench fine in windows, but both still have the booting issue.

Back
Top Bottom