Le Mans 24 hour race - 2015

Caporegime
Rain predicted for tomorrow and the second half of this session, so its likely this first hour of Q1 will see the pole time. Almost the entire field is out as the session starts.

Fastest ever chicane era lap coming soon...

Soldato
Is that right what they said on Eurosport, that the Nissans aren't running the hybrid system at all? Wow that sucks!

Yep, but they still have to run with the equipment on board to be within the rules. It's one of the reasons they are being stuffed by 25s a lap.

Caporegime
Any details on why its not working? Having lost both the rear and front electric power they are going to be 50% down on power :(.

Doesn't look so bad that they are so far behind, but does raise some questions about their design choices. I wonder if they will bother with the rest of the WEC, or just go back to the drawing board for 2016.

Man of Honour
Nissan LMP1-H also seem to be running extremely low or with excessively soft suspension.
So many sparks.

[edit]

Who/What caused the red flag? Having to watch without sound at the moment. Saw the Audi spin, but that shouldn't have been that serious.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
From that quick look at a mangled car, looks like the #41 Greaves Gibson-Nissan thumped the wall.

From the damaged area of the wall and the mangled right side of the car, looks like a spin.

Soldato
Wow, with the Rebellions in place it really shows how off the pace Toyota is - only 3 seconds between the lead Rebellion and the Toyota. The only thing that's going to get them near a podium will be some freak accident/problem with all the Porsches and Audis.

The pace of the Porsches is breathtaking though. Remains to be seen whether the race pace is as good of course which is where the Audi has been so strong this season.

Caporegime
Yup, think they've managed to annoy a heck of a lot of people with that one!

Their reasoning is sound. They do need to control costs in a class that's entirely privateers. The problem is they have set the limit lower than the existing number of manufacturers. If there was only 3 current chassis makers then there wouldn't be anywhere near the same amount of fuss.

Perhaps a better solution would be just a single engine and leave the chassis makers alone?

Soldato
I'd rather they just left LMP2 alone, as long as they keep to the required costs. But if they must, then a single engine and free chassis design would be a better option.

Soldato
So is the Nissan going to be running without its hybrid system for the race or will they get it sorted?

They have confirmed it wont be used this week, although due to the rules they still have to carry the hybrid equipment around with them. On the plus side they are amongst the LMP2 field and the LMP2's could always do with a bit more coverage.

The Nissans tyre wear and fuel economy is also a mystery, by not competing in the WEC rounds we have no idea what that car in it's odd kind of FF layout does for a race strategy.

Soldato
I'm sure someone claimed a higher number than six, but i'm not sure if they were getting mixed up. The fronts will get quite a hammering, and I think 2 stints on a set will be good going, but lets see.

Back
Top Bottom