• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Radeon 390X / 390 and 380X Spec / Benchmark (do not hotlink images!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
"this new GPU I have totally rocks at 4k. Used to need 2 GPUs to do 4k well, now just need 1." - Dan Baker, Oxide Games

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/609445259597213696

Was that the 4900 firestrike extreme run? Or was another leaked? Because that 4900 was obvs a 390 pro.

Oxide games engine is using async shaders, and handling tasks in parallel so the memry bandwith is the limiting factor as far as i know.

Soldato
I'm sure AMD knows exactly what the weak point is and will do everything it can to mitigate it. For marketing reasons 8 GB is obviously a better thing to have.

Yes and no... it will entirely depend on the performance. If the 4GB card can match the 980Ti/Titan X, then why release an 8GB card yet? It would no doubt be more costly to produce, and they'll hardly struggle selling the 4GB if it does manage to offer amazing performance at a great price. Of course, there will always be some people who simply feel 4GB is not enough, but if the benchmarks show otherwise, I don't doubt many of those people will be swayed.

Associate
Yes and no... it will entirely depend on the performance. If the 4GB card can match the 980Ti/Titan X, then why release an 8GB card yet? It would no doubt be more costly to produce, and they'll hardly struggle selling the 4GB if it does manage to offer amazing performance at a great price. Of course, there will always be some people who simply feel 4GB is not enough, but if the benchmarks show otherwise, I don't doubt many of those people will be swayed.

When a 6Gb GM200 card is more than enough why release a 12Gb one?

Soldato
The majority of people still play at 1080p so 4GB will not be a limiting factor for most. AMD is however taughting the Fury as a 4K capable card so we will find out in 3 days I guess.

Soldato
When a 6Gb GM200 card is more than enough why release a 12Gb one?

Because they could. And who knows, maybe they released the 980Ti so soon after to get the jump on AMD once they realised the Fury X was going to be a serious contender. They've buried the Titan X with the Ti now though, no doubt... but then it was always a niche card to begin with, and I'm sure will still hold appeal. The Titan's always do it seems.

Permabanned
Very interested to see what happens here. My concern is that even if this new VRAM situation means that 4gb dosnt matter @1400p and upwards...this is a new tech and I dont feel confident of it not having major issues out of the gate. Time will tell though and its got me on the edge of my seat

Soldato
curious, even though it's a rebrand, if the 390x has a much lower tdp than the 290x, with 8gb thrown in and more performance....if it comes in at a very attractive price ie less than £350, would that tempt anyone here? does a couple of brand new 8gb cards in crossfire sound attractive to anyone with older cards?

Soldato
Very interested to see what happens here. My concern is that even if this new VRAM situation means that 4gb dosnt matter @1400p and upwards...this is a new tech and I dont feel confident of it not having major issues out of the gate. Time will tell though and its got me on the edge of my seat

I think the HBM tech has been available before AMD decided to use it so it would have been tested throughly before marketing it. It is only memory so shouldn't be any major problems with it. The difference is that it allows much faster communication between the gpu and VRAM.

I tend to think of it like the difference you observe between standard hard drives and SSD's when a cpu is loading stuff. Imagine in the future when SSD's are as fast a DDR4. ;)

Soldato
curious, even though it's a rebrand, if the 390x has a much lower tdp than the 290x, with 8gb thrown in and more performance....if it comes in at a very attractive price ie less than £350, would that tempt anyone here? does a couple of brand new 8gb cards in crossfire sound attractive to anyone with older cards?

I have a 280x, looking to upgrade around the £300 mark as I want better performance at 1440p. If the 390x is around that mark, then yes, I will upgrade to the 390x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom