Help needed with system build!

Associate
Firstly, I must say i've never built a system myself, so the first question is: will i be able to cope with it? All i've done in the past is replace memory/hdd's/optical drives.

Secondly, if i were to go through with a build, could i have some suggestions for possible builds? I have £450 to spend, and don't require monitor/keyboard/mouse. I wouldn't know where to begin and wouldn't know if component combinations would be compatible (or if this is even a valid question!) I use my computer to do HD video editing and simple image processing.

Thank you for anyone who responds!

Soldato
Hi

Will you cope ? Yes it's pips ;)

As you'll be doing some video editing you will benefit from 16GB RAM :)

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i3-4350 3.60GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £114.95
1 x Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E250B/EU) £89.99
1 x TeamGroup Vulcan GOLD 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLYED316G1600HC9DC01) £89.99
1 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD £44.99
1 x MSI H81M-E34 Intel H81 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard £35.99
1 x Seasonic Eco Series 430W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £32.99
1 x BitFenix Neos ATX Tower White/Silver £25.99
Total : £444.48 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Also what video editing software will you be using? As it may benefit from a cheap video card.

Associate
OP
Hello, thank you for you're reply!

Well, i'm only using an old CS3 copy of Premiere pro, but will likely be upgrading in the near future. Does the motherboard you suggest have integrated graphics? Also, what is the solid state drive for? Is that the drive that the OS would be installed on?

Thanks again!

Associate
OP
Oh, and one other question... Would this power supply be very quiet? The computer i currently use is almost 10 years old and sounds like a jumbo jet taking off for the duration of its operation! :/ Can't wait to get something that doesn't take 10 minutes to settle itself before i can click a mouse button!

Soldato
Hello, thank you for you're reply!

Well, i'm only using an old CS3 copy of Premiere pro, but will likely be upgrading in the near future. Does the motherboard you suggest have integrated graphics? Also, what is the solid state drive for? Is that the drive that the OS would be installed on?

Thanks again!

The CPU does and motherboard has a HDMI, VGA and DVI port to use :)

Yes SSD is very much a great device to have as it will considerably speed up read and write speeds. Correct you would install Windows and other software on it and store your media files on the HDD.

I would probably look at getting a cheap GPU in the near future then such as the GTX 650 Ti, when you upgrade to a more recent version of premiere pro.

Associate
OP
Thank you dacads, very helpful indeed!

If i were to get a GPU in the future, is that just a case of adding it to the motherboard? Or does BIOS have to be reconfigured? How does a dedicated GPU improve things like video editing? Oh, and lastly, which OS would you recommend using? I've been lumbered with the now obsolete xp and have seriously considered using Linux instead despite the difficulty it would present for using things like photoshop.

Associate
OP
I'm indebted to you dacads! Very helpful indeed! I feel much more confident about the prospect of trying a build now. I guess i better start watching some youtube videos!

Just one final question if you don't mind? I'll certainly use your recommended component choices as a guide, but if i were to deviate in any way, are there any conceivable problems when putting components together in terms of compatibility?

Last edited:
Soldato
That would depend on the component(s) in question, I'm sure you'd be able to note the difference between Intel and AMD and their different motherboards :p With Intel you want a socket 1150 motherboard and chip.

You can drop a post here if you do decide to change anything and I can confirm. But other than that should be fine :)

Associate
OP
great, i'll certainly do that. Might be a few days as i'm going to be rather busy this week. Thanks again for your help, i'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling now! :)

Back
Top Bottom