Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I wouldn't worry too much as there will be a huge range of fitness levels riding.

Well from the sounds of it Wally (crash guy) might take it easy next weekend which kinda makes my decision for me.

I'm out of town at the moment, but my wife called me to say my neighbour had come off his bike :(

You still going on the Manc ride Pete?

If so then yeah, I'll more than likely come. So long as you can find someone slower than me to make me feel better riding with. :p

Caporegime
[Damien];28174846 said:
You still going on the Manc ride Pete?

If so then yeah, I'll more than likely come. So long as you can find someone slower than me to make me feel better riding with. :p

I'm fully intending to, wife permitting! I've been on at her about it for as long as we've been planning it, so I should be able to get a pass...

I'll be getting the train from Atherton to Stockport. I think there's a train leaving Atherton about five to eight, and then there's a couple of changes. I'll let you know the details if you're coming along.

I wouldn't worry about being slow... I'll be riding cautiously for an 80 miler, given how hard I struggled at the end of my 80 miler last month.

Associate
I'm fully intending to, wife permitting! I've been on at her about it for as long as we've been planning it, so I should be able to get a pass...

I'll be getting the train from Atherton to Stockport. I think there's a train leaving Atherton about five to eight, and then there's a couple of changes. I'll let you know the details if you're coming along.

I wouldn't worry about being slow... I'll be riding cautiously for an 80 miler, given how hard I struggled at the end of my 80 miler last month.

Sounds like a plan then. I'm going to go full on carbmonster style on that ride though. I think the 3 cakes was my secret formula all along.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know an easy way to level out the speed graph for a ride? My GPS messed up on my ride back to work this lunch time and as it was probably my fastest ride along my work route I really wanted a non-dodgy recording. I've tried SNAP but although that has fixed the route line it has done nothing for the loltastic max speed reading.

https://www.strava.com/activities/325909062/overview

As much as I was going all out I'm pretty sure I didn't hit 56.8mph :p

Soldato
I've been on a diet of pure lard for about two months so I doubt I'll be dragging anyone up any hills :p

So he'd be better drafting you along the straights?! ;)

Know the feeling though, after a week of 'holiday mode' (great meals & a beer with each - except breakfast) I weighed myself as 83.4kg. (about 1.4kg up), then after one intense ride I was down to 81.8kg and now at 80.8kg. I'm blaming my dodgy scales for some of the misreading but it still puts me at the lowest they've recorded! I was always around 82kg before I went! :D

Yes, got an Ultimaker 2 and it IS awesome! I sort of fancy one for myself so I don't get too much of a reputation for being Mr. Homer :D

Lol! I'm utterly surprised out of all the people I know none of them have one... Yet!

Does anyone know an easy way to level out the speed graph for a ride? My GPS messed up on my ride back to work this lunch time and as it was probably my fastest ride along my work route I really wanted a non-dodgy recording. I've tried SNAP but although that has fixed the route line it has done nothing for the loltastic max speed reading.

https://www.strava.com/activities/325909062/overview

As much as I was going all out I'm pretty sure I didn't hit 56.8mph :p

Weird, I guess you could try editing the .gpx, I've never done it myself but heard they're just a txt file. I'm guessing it has speeds in there so hunt for the *56* reading and change it to 22 or something?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-folding-road-tyre-twin-pack/

GP 4000S twin pack for £64 (£32 each tyre), 700x25 IN STOCK! :D

Associate
Hello all. Back from 3 weeks off work including 2 in USA! Came back on Thursday and did the Velothon Wales, managed to get a ride done in San Francisco which was incredible but the training probably wasn't ideal!

SF ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/317069050

Velothon: https://www.strava.com/activities/325130232

I suffered quite badly with leg crams during the Velothon, both quads and calves. It might have been general not cycling much and jet lag but I fear I will get it more often. Aside from drinking lots of electrolyte stuff, has anybody managed to combat cramp?

Man of Honour
So he'd be better drafting you along the straights?! ;)

Know the feeling though, after a week of 'holiday mode' (great meals & a beer with each - except breakfast) I weighed myself as 83.4kg. (about 1.4kg up), then after one intense ride I was down to 81.8kg and now at 80.8kg. I'm blaming my dodgy scales for some of the misreading but it still puts me at the lowest they've recorded! I was always around 82kg before I went! :D

Weird, I guess you could try editing the .gpx, I've never done it myself but heard they're just a txt file. I'm guessing it has speeds in there so hunt for the *56* reading and change it to 22 or something?

Compared to some of the shorties on here, possibly /re the drafting :p

Nice work on the weight loss. Do you always measure at the same time/etc?

I tried editing the .gpx but it's not really suitable for this - Strava doesn't use the speeds noted in there (calculates the speeds itself I think by measuring time/distance between data points) so I'd need to add an extra fake .gpx entry. I guess I'll just leave it and make do with it as is.

Soldato
They're rubbish wheels? ;)

At least with weight/commuting bags they seem to be. You've snapped spokes, I found nipples kept coming loose/wheels out of true!

I've had zero issues with my grudas recommended £105 replacements, admittedly they've only done ~300 miles. They feel superb, I'd stopped hopping pot holes with the Giant's but I'm back to doing it now and they're holding up well! :D

Theyre dreadful wheels, best thing is i didnt even know i had a problem til i got home and by that point id done about 30 miles over the morning going here there and everywhere, bikes in the shop again and its ready to be collected for my commute to work later, quick taxi ride to pick it up later!

Im getting a bit annoyed by it now.

I were looking at some wheels last night, the following are in the running:

Mavic Aksium One
Campagnolo Scirocco 35

Maybe these too

Fulcrum Racing Quattro

Associate
anyone got some tips for removing press fitted wheel bearings (Fulcrum Quattro's) I can dismantle down to them but cant work out how to remove them.

Or a link to some tool that would help ? :/ stumped.

Associate
Nah, seen it a few times, no idea what that tool is he is using. I could probs do it with non specific tool but need something narrow enough to slip in and then wide enough to cover the whole bearing as I've read that I risk punching out the inner racings of the bearing only :/, toy'd with the idea of an allen key but could find one that fit properly. ugh.

Soldato
I'm out of town at the moment, but my wife called me to say my neighbour had come off his bike :( He was doing a sportive out in Cheshire or something. It sounds like a full on over the handlebars job. His helmet bought it, and he's a bit banged up and stiff as you'd expect. He'd been to hospital with it and been x-rayed but it seems he's OK as he's back home.

He'll most likely have been on his Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert... So that's potentially the better part of £3k of bike going crunch...

Sounds pretty horrible.

I raced on Sunday and a guy pretty much next to me went down and broke his collarbone. Not nice.

Soldato
anyone got some tips for removing press fitted wheel bearings (Fulcrum Quattro's) I can dismantle down to them but cant work out how to remove them.

Or a link to some tool that would help ? :/ stumped.

I replaced the bearings in my fulcrum 5's a few months ago. I used a socket extension bar to knock the Bering out from the other side. And then used a BB bearing press to press the replacements back into the hub.

Soldato
That's why people cycling it do it early in the year! ;) I know guys who were going there in February/March. You may even find September too hot - check 'historical weather' charts for the time of year you're looking at if temperature is that decisive for you. Expensive mistake otherwise!

yep, it was a family holiday but the opportunity to get a few miles in was too good to miss.

Was happy I got out for a few rides for sure! Making plans to go back early October. Will try early next year too.

Soldato
I replaced the bearings in my fulcrum 5's a few months ago. I used a socket extension bar to knock the Bering out from the other side. And then used a BB bearing press to press the replacements back into the hub.

I did the same.
Except I hammered mine back in with a socket to fit around the outer race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom