Vulcan Flyover

Man of Honour
With a couple of events this weekend to the west of me, I had the pleasure of getting a double flypast from the Vulcan, once on its way to the cholmondeley pageant of power and then on its way back from the cosford airshow. I know a few of you like this sort of stuff, so here is a crap photo of the first pass and then a second one from the bottom of my garden on its way home from cosford.

On its way to cholmodeley, terrible picture from a potato
IMG_0647_zpsx2bqjsn1.jpg

So it takes me 45 mins to drive to cosford, this was 3 minutes after it finished its routine, which I was watching online!

Soldato
I'm lucky enough to live about 3 miles from Welshpool airport so we had a bit of food and drink and walked to a nearby field whenever we heard loud noises, had the vulcan turn directly above ours heads after each run over the Airfield. So, neeerrrr.

Man of Honour
OP
It's such a majestic aircraft and I have been lucky enough to see them a few times at airshows when they were still operational and pulling even more impressive moves. Never fails to impress and the Vulcan howl is probably only bettered by the Starfighter.

Associate
Saw her at Clacton last year & I'll try catch a decent spot as she comes this way on her Salute to the V-Force tour at the end of the month. With a bit of luck I'll be able to make it to RIAT. Fantastic bit of kit & a credit to those who got her back in the air. Ended up at Solway Aviation Museum last week & got the guided tour of XJ823 while there, quite how they spent countless hours in there I have no idea!

Avro Vulcan, XH558
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Motospeed Cannonball 2015
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Motospeed Cannonball 2015
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Man of Honour
OP
They have one at Coventry airport and around 10 years ago I got the full guided tour, read over an hour sitting in the right seat with a former pilot who was there on an open day telling me about his time flying them. Fantastic experience.

Associate
Didn't quite get as good a tour as that, in there for about half an hour but with 6 of us in there on a hot old afternoon that was about as long as was comfortable. Very toasty :D Did smell well good though. Proper historic musk going on. It's still like a living thing too. The instruments etc still come to life when the wind picks up & they hook her electrics up from time to time.

Those dirty great Olympus engines <3

Avro Vulcan, XH558
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Man of Honour
OP
Didn't quite get as good a tour as that, in there for about half an hour but with 6 of us in there on a hot old afternoon that was about as long as was comfortable. Very toasty :D Did smell well good though. Proper historic musk going on. It's still like a living thing too. The instruments etc still come to life when the wind picks up & they hook her electrics up from time to time.

I managed to get into the cockpit of one of the Lightnings at Brunters roughly 15 minutes after it had done a fast taxi run a few years back, it was still toasty and smelling of aviation. I also offered to run my old GT3 alongside the Lightnings on one of their open days, suggesting we charge a few quid and put it towards the fund for the jets. For various reasons I never fully understood we could not make it happen, but they did it before with the hunter and a CSL.

It would have been ace, what possible could go wrong :D

Associate
I remember driving along in my S2000 with the top down (why bother having a convertible otherwise lol) and the Vulcan flew directly over me. Something spine tingling about looking directly up at the undercarriage of a bomber whilst bombing along at 60.

Apologies for the pun :D

Soldato
I sat outside all Sunday hoping to see this - we are on landing run to Shawbury - also only 15 miles from Cholmondeley and it never came near us - Did see Red Arrows on their way to Welshpool though .

Dave

Man of Honour
OP
I found the flight plan via Twitter and luckily my house sits under the Vulcans intersection point going and coming.

Soldato
The Vulcan is undoubtedly a thing of beauty. But my favourite V-Bomber is the Victor!

She just looks just so damned evil!

She looks more like some sort of demonic creature escaped from the very bowels of Hell than a mere machine built by the hand of man!

An awesome looking aircraft (In the true sense of the word!) Especially when coming straight at you!

Soldato
Work at Waddington so I am lucky enough to see one everyday....Obviously not flying though.

It was nice when one landed here with two Lancasters last year.

Back
Top Bottom