• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Radeon 390X / 390 and 380X Spec / Benchmark (do not hotlink images!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I think until the reviews come out we should not be making assumptions about the framebuffer limitations quite yet.Both the GK204 and Tonga punched well past their weight due to colour compression even though they had 256 bit memory controllers,so we don't know if they have been researching new stuff to improve memory utilisation.

The problem with the memory/bus on the 980s is they beat the 290Xs @1080p yet lose out to the AMD cards @2160p.

Associate
I have been waiting for 9 months for amd to release this ****ing card .coz my 4k screen is a beast and needs the right master to control it.

****ing 9 months no ****ing gaming.i got so many games to catch up like farcry 4,gta 5

That must have been frustrating.

Ps im gonna need at least 2 of these hbm cards but i guess im gonna wait for the xt. Then il get 2 of them bitches

Sounds expensive. I can't see them being cheap.

Soldato
The problem with the memory/bus on the 980s is they beat the 290Xs @1080p yet lose out to the AMD cards @2160p.

I just think if AMD has been pushing things like VR and HD gaming with these cards,and has competing 8GB cards like the R9 390X 8GB in their own range,they probably working on ways around the 4GB limitation. I would expect if the card is 4GB,they have known for quite a while!:p

Associate
For 2160p in multi GPU setups the 4gb of memory on the cards will be a big let down as 4gb is 4gb, this is the answer DM had so much trouble giving.:D

Because he doesn't know. At the moment only a few know for sure and they won't or can't tell. I think you will most likely be proved right but I'm trying to be open minded and slightly optimistic about the new tech/Fury.

Associate
I take it you are unable to answer the question then.:D

I'd give it up mate. The guy has a history of posting hugely vague and hilariously biased walls of text that never have any backing other than his own sense of arrogance. The easiest way to sush him up would be to post some decent third party facts to back up what you say. I find he goes missing once that happens.

Man of Honour
I just think if AMD has been pushing things like VR and HD gaming with these cards,and has competing 8GB cards like the R9 390X 8GB in their own range,they probably working on ways around the 4GB limitation. I would expect if the card is 4GB,they have known for quite a while!:p

I think the reviews for the 390X may be worth looking at closely.

Most people think the card is just a rebranded 290X (which it probably is) but I think there may be some refinements added to improve things further. A good example is the memory which in the leaks I have seen is Hynix rather than Elpida.

I think there may be a number of small improvements that make the card in total a lot better than the old 290X.

Associate

Most people think the card is just a rebranded 290X (which it probably is) but I think there may be some refinements added to improve things further. A good example is the memory which in the leaks I have seen is Hynix rather than Elpida.

I think there may be a number of small improvements that make the card in total a lot better than the old 290X.

This makes sense to me. It would look very bad to do a straight rebrand with the same *90x designation, quite deceptive to consumers imo.

Soldato

Well,after reading a few forums,there is some noise it actually is a bit faster and consumes a bit less power than the R9 290X. It could be BS,but it might a new stepping of the core,with some new software optimisations.

Man of Honour
Because he doesn't know. At the moment only a few know for sure and they won't or can't tell. I think you will most likely be proved right but I'm trying to be open minded and slightly optimistic about the new tech/Fury.

Staying open minded is the best way to go.:)

Even if I am proved right it does not make the Fury XT a bad card for 2160p as for most things 4gb with 1 or 2 cards at the resolution is fine. It is only when you get to using 3 or 4 cards that 4gb becomes a serious problem.

Caporegime
Well,after reading a few forums,there is some noise it actually is a bit faster and consumes a bit less power than the R9 290X. It could be BS,but it might a new stepping of the core,with some new software optimisations.

It still has to be priced right.

If it only matches or doesn't quite beat the 980 but still draws a decent bit more power and runs hotter it cant be priced much more than £300.

Soldato
£3000 just to bench? Just seems crazy to me. lol

I just don't get all this benching stuff, just seems a waste of time to me. Testing a OC yeah that's fine. But once it's stable job done.

Should get out more - it's a big world out there!

It's a hobby, like playing Warhammer 40K or MTG, though at £3000 it sounds a fair bit cheaper than Warhammer :D

Makes assumption

Actually he isn't making an assumption, just summarizing what you yourself said.

I think if AMD turn round and say NDA lifted on the 24th I may internally combust.

I will just buy a GTX980ti, it's bad enough they have strung us along for this long, running you company badly is one thing but treating your customers badly is another.

Last edited:
Associate
Staying open minded is the best way to go.:)

Even if I am proved right it does not make the Fury XT a bad card for 2160p as for most things 4gb with 1 or 2 cards at the resolution is fine. It is only when you get to using 3 or 4 cards that 4gb becomes a serious problem.

The conspiracy side of me thinks there is some subliminal message in some of the leaks, like they are trying to put you off of getting more than one Gpu. There is the fact it has an aio, the 4GB vram and then that game dev on twitter who said he now only needs a single card for 4k. Alomost like they kow 4GB isn't enough for multi-gpu.

Disclaimer:This is meant in humour and does not necessarily represent the views of the poster. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it a reveal or a release. I personally thought that it was said to be a release and others appear to have the same opinion judging from the comments here and other places.

I expect they will show off the card today and a few slides comparing it to the competition. Then at a later date reviews will come out and then it will be actually available to buy.

AFAIK,thats how it has been in the past?!

Associate
I expect they will show off the card today and a few slides comparing it to the competition. Then at a later date reviews will come out and then it will be actually available to buy.

AFAIK,thats how it has been in the past?!

Yes i have a feeling were only going to see a few benchmarks that dont really tell us much and were still going to be here tomorrow wondering about the performance and wondering what HBM will bring if it will cope at 4k when usually it would need more, i hope im wrong i hope we do see what it can really do and to see if 4gb will be enough at 4k.

Associate
Another thing to comment/speculate on is AMD's almost total silence. The longer it goes on and the more the likes of Roy and other employees tease on twitter, it fills me up with more hope that they are just THAT confident and hope to make fools out of some of the sites and rumours.

Also does anyone think they would bring up a screenshot of an article or website that was complete rubbish and make fun of it during the presentation?

This card has been reportedly ready for months, isn't it at least in the realms of possibility they were holding back working on being geniuses on helping mitigate the 4gb issue in those months?

I've seen some people forget why the power consumption might look the same given them touting the power savings of hbm. They just put it elsewhere into the core for an example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom