Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Any random bar/bit of metal will do to knock the old ones out. I cant remember what size socket I used to fit the new ones but you need to be fairly accurate with it. It needs to be big enough that it will only touch the outer race and small enough that it wont hit the hub on the way in.

Associate
Ah ok, might try with a screwdriver and tap it out slowly. . . also how many bearings are there in the rear wheel ? I found 2 in the wheel and one at the top of the hub ? are there anymore ? they are listed as different parts in the manual. Confusing not having done this before.

Soldato
I only dismantled the front hub. There are more in the rear hub. It looks like 4 in total from the diagram. Tow similar to the front, and two inside the freehub held in with circlips.

Soldato
Hello all. Back from 3 weeks off work including 2 in USA! Came back on Thursday and did the Velothon Wales, managed to get a ride done in San Francisco which was incredible but the training probably wasn't ideal!

SF ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/317069050

Velothon: https://www.strava.com/activities/325130232

Great rides and great averages! How was Fiddlers/Tumble? You probably found it easy after the SF climbing?!

Fiddlers is probably my 'local' cycling hotspot they all head to, around 50 miles each way so it's something I'll have to build up to! ;)

Nice work on the weight loss. Do you always measure at the same time/etc?

I try to weigh first thing in the morning with the cheapy scales in the same position on the floor. Although my weigh after holiday was done in the evening after a meal which probably explains the huge 'loss'.

Im getting a bit annoyed by it now.

I were looking at some wheels last night, the following are in the running:

Mavic Aksium One
Campagnolo Scirocco 35

Maybe these too

Fulcrum Racing Quattro

I got so annoyed with mine and had spent a good ~100 miles and 12+ hours with them rubbing/buckled/trying to true them I considered the £105 I spent more of a 'lesson learnt' (don't spend time struggling with bad wheels and spend days trying to repair them!).

I'll probably buy some better wheels in the future, but I'll probably hold off until I decide what I'm doing longer term with my bikes (ie what to buy next, CX or road with discs).

yep, it was a family holiday but the opportunity to get a few miles in was too good to miss.

Was happy I got out for a few rides for sure! Making plans to go back early October. Will try early next year too.

Good idea. Although there was a group of 6 riders from my local shop (shop social rides) who organised a Majorca trip. Loads of the other clubs (many riders intermingle) got involved and before long there were 45 of them out there the same week, staying in neighbouring towns! :rolleyes::cool:

Man of Honour
Quick ride after work with a friend. Came so close to bonking about three times. Only just made it home before a complete energy crash too :eek: Fun ride and reasonably nice weather though. All helping towards the Manchester ocuk "war of the tan lines" ride this coming Sat :)

Associate
It's very easy, I've built my first bike at 7! Was an old "admiral" MTB.. ! Just make sure you have the tools and that everything fits together and you'll be good! Especially with YouTube being as full of how-to videos as it gets.

If the frame is in good nick, then all your really need to know is whether you need a braze on or band on front mech, and the tube diameter if it's band on. I've looked on the Giant website and can't find out what type it takes. The picture looks like it might be braze on, but I'm not sure. It takes a BSA threaded bottom bracket, so pretty much any groupset on sale will be fine. As I recall, the Defy frames are the same up and down the range, and the grades were determined by groupset and finishing kit. Depending on how much you want to spend you could go for Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra. Buy the whole groupset from Ribble for £200 or so (Tiagra) or £500 (Ultegra) and then pick up a toolset like the Icetoolz Essence kit. There should be enough videos out there that you can follow to figure out what needs to be screwed on where.

I'd be cautious of the rear dropout and mech hanger too, just incase they've taken a twist from the force.

Bear in mind you can get a new Defy 5 2015 for £499. So if you're looking at a £200 wheelset and £300 groupset make sure it's a substantial upgrade on Claris and S-R2 wheels (not hard if my P-R2's were anything to go by). :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info, I'll bear this in mind.

Caporegime
Bear in mind you can get a new Defy 5 2015 for £499. So if you're looking at a £200 wheelset and £300 groupset make sure it's a substantial upgrade on Claris and S-R2 wheels (not hard if my P-R2's were anything to go by). :rolleyes:

You can get full 5800 for £300, handbuilt wheels for £130, a toolkit for £40 and have £30 left for anything I've missed. It should be more than doable.

Soldato
Hello all. Back from 3 weeks off work including 2 in USA! Came back on Thursday and did the Velothon Wales, managed to get a ride done in San Francisco which was incredible but the training probably wasn't ideal!

SF ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/317069050

Did you rent a bike there? Where from? I used to live there but have only ever hiked up Mt Tam! Definitely need to cycle it next time I'm out.

Soldato
Went out for my first ride in just over a month - been having a bit of pain with my wrist (should probably get it checked out, not sure if fracture or nerve) and been busy with a few family things, only a slow 27km, but was good to get back out. Definitely feeling it though after the absence!

Soldato
how are you finding them? :) I want to pick another set.. but it's just too cheap for my bike haha

Awesome! Have done ~250 miles on then (fitted a month ago). Very happy but ask me again in 6 months or so! I want to do around the miles my P-R2's have done (1000, 60-70% commuting) before I'm utterly convinced they're bulletproof! ;)

Warm again this morning. I'm using this week to tailor my morning commute clothing (trying combinations), to avoid wearing a jacket in the 10-15 degrees temperature band.

Last edited:
Associate
Great rides and great averages! How was Fiddlers/Tumble? You probably found it easy after the SF climbing?!

Fiddlers is probably my 'local' cycling hotspot they all head to, around 50 miles each way so it's something I'll have to build up to! ;)

I don't think we did Fiddlers but the Tumble was nice. I was struggling with cramp so ended up just going up really slow. The hardest one was Caerphilly mountain at the end. Steep and knackered!

Did you rent a bike there? Where from? I used to live there but have only ever hiked up Mt Tam! Definitely need to cycle it next time I'm out.

I rented a Specialized Roubaix from Blazin' Saddles for around $50 for the day. It was great and used a route from Strava local.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Can you remember what size/widths you used ?
They'll all be different as the socket external diameters vary from set to set. I normally just pick the biggest socket which still clears everything because it gives you the most control.

The only thing to remember with drifting bearings in and out is don't hit the inner race if the outer race is the press fit and vice-versa. You'll risk damaging the bearing if you do. For knocking the old bearings out it doesn't matter. Use a soft-faced hammer (or a bit of wood to protect) and tap the first one out using the axle, then reverse to get the other bearing out. You can carefully tap it out with a screwdriver but using the axle like this helps you keep it square and stops the bearing trying to turn sideways which will jam it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom