Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I've held an HSBC American index fund which tracks the S&P 500 for a while now and it's had solid gains for a while now. I'm sure it's due a correction sooner than later but that said, the historical annualised return has been pretty good

Last edited:
Associate
I use Interactive Investor not that I'd particularly recommend them, they charge £20 a quarter. You could look at a x-o http://www.x-o.co.uk/ £5.95 a trade rather than the £10 with interactive.

I too have been with interactive investor for a number of years but i am considering moving as most of my positions are long. With x-o do you literally only pay for the trades you make no admin fees or hidden charges etc?

Soldato
I too have been with interactive investor for a number of years but i am considering moving as most of my positions are long. With x-o do you literally only pay for the trades you make no admin fees or hidden charges etc?

iweb is who i use for long term holds - no charges etc - only trading costs etc.

Soldato

TD also are one you only pay trading charges too and no admin fee. I moved to them a couple of years ago when they did cashback for moving a S&S ISA to them.

Soldato
In 2008 Peston came out with some game changing info that turned stocks on their head. Doubt it would happen again, he just knew people inside the room apparently but not a bad idea to follow him.
Could be storm in teacup (greece itself means nothing much) or it could be there is no more teacup now! :eek:
https://twitter.com/Peston
He also read his report out on the news of course, but who watches every update through trading hours

Robert Peston ‏@Peston 6h6 hours ago
Emergency support for Greek banks from European Central Bank - ELA - to be turned off, sources tell me

http://t.co/Xdu13rWu6p

http://www.stockchallenge.co.uk/

Buying Shares

I, even after googling, really have no idea about this.

But, it's something I want to do and invest some money in companies, like Netflix for instance.

Do you currently buy shares? Any advice on how to get started, and preferably a website you do it through?

Caporegime
Sxx - not sure whether to cash out or ride through
Bought in @ 8 now near 20,been much higher

AFC - the real safe star I'm sticking with
Bought in @24 now near 55, what seems to me to be a very solid company which can only grow, big contracts under the belt

PFC, - bought in at 666 back above 900, solid future order book and good div so sticking

Sticking with BT long (@435 now 47))

PMO flat at near 150. One of the unstable oil gang. Probably ride it out

EZJ, just bought at 1700,now 1650. Undervalued I think but should have gone for Ryanair

Soldato
PMO flat at near 150. One of the unstable oil gang. Probably ride it out

May be worth holding on to them. They were just awarded a block licence in the Mexican GoM so may find something worthwhile there.

Having said that, Exxon, Chevron and Total didn't even bother bidding so commercial terms don't look great. I think BP did bid for a block but offered below what the government stated was the minimum to test the waters - looks a bit expensive at the moment given the cost and effort for deepwater offshore exploration.

Associate
Hi Guys, i dont play the markets much normally only on quarterly release figures, tomorrow at close of market Apple and Microsoft will release there numbers, should i get in on this or are they expecting to make a loss?
i do this as more of a betting thing but could do with some advise

Caporegime
with figures you make money if you correctly anticipate that they will be different to market expectations

so you're not necessarily looking to predict if company x will do well or not, but you're interested in predicting whether company x will do better or worse than everyone else seems to be predicting

Soldato
Not sure if there’s much mileage in this but I was googling Quindell earlier to see if anything had happened with them (I’ve long sold all my positions and taken the heavy loss), and the first link was for a company called “Your Legal Friend”.

Upon a bit of further reading it seems that their planning on taking legal action against the board for publishing exaggerated information. Looks like their business plan is much the same as the whole bank charges rebates where they charge on a no win no fee basis and then take a £500 + 40% cut of any proceeds reclaimed.

What are their chances of actually winning anything like this? I’ve considered rebuying depending on how their updated accounts look and how the market values them once they come out of suspension but I imagine if the above case was to go through it’d be a massive hit.

On the other hand, should the above case actually go through I wonder what the chances are of making a similar claim individually to avoid paying the insane fees!

Back
Top Bottom