BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
What have you done so far? N54 or N55?

It's an N54 and the only thing I've done so far is the JB4. Running map 5 with 99RON fuel at the moment but next on the list will be downpipes. Can't decide whether a DCI (Dual Cone Intake) is a good idea as opinion on forums is split (argument between heat soak vs extra air). Conclusion seems to be that at higher boost the benefit from additional air outweighs the hotter IATs.

In terms of reliability, there is a vast number of N54 335i's running JB4, COBB etc and very few horror stories. Common issues seem to be the high pressure fuel pump and waste gate rattle (not a performance issue). I did some logs last night and all of my parameters look absolutely fine. Of course, the more power you squeeze out of the engine, the more likely it is to bring previously un-noticed issues to the surface.

Man of Honour
F10 sport mode, what does the chassis change actually do? (Think the car has dynamic pack)

Dynamic Pack is cosmetic only, it adds 19 inch wheels, black headlining, high gloss shadowline and sports seats.

The chassis changes are therefore just throttle response and steering feel (You can configure it to also put the transmission into Sport mode as well if you wish).

Man of Honour
Correct.

I personally have it set so that it only puts the Transmission into Sport if I move the shifter sideways. I'll often want Sport mode for the chassis without the transmission.

Associate
[TW]Fox;28195032 said:
Correct.

I personally have it set so that it only puts the Transmission into Sport if I move the shifter sideways. I'll often want Sport mode for the chassis without the transmission.

I'm the same, the throttle response and desire to hold gears can become wearing particularly when you just want to limit body roll rather than change speed (I have adaptive on my F31).

Associate
Hey

I've got a 225d Msport ordered through work (NHS) 2 months ago now and should be here in 4-6 weeks to replace my Audi a3 (8p) im starting to have a few doubts.

I've looked on our website and today i could have had a Jag XE R-sport for the same money or even a bit cheaper, i am looking forward to the BMW but after all the issues with the HK system when the car first came out with wrong marketing info (The Audi has a B&O system).The audio part is quite important to me as i spend a lot of time in the car for work and im having second thoughts even though its too late to change my mind.

The BMW spec is with the Msport + and the Media pack.

This car will be a lot quicker than my Audi but that isn't everything end of the day

Also are the Alcantara seats in the bmw any good as the ones i test drove were all leather

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Today I sat down and said I wasn't going to leave until I had the bluetooth audio streaming working on my car. Turns out it only took 30 seconds, life is much easier when you read the instruction manual :D

Soldato
I'm having problems with my Bluetooth. Recently updated my phone, so when I connect everything goes fine on my phone, goes to request call log access etc, once all that is complete it just sits on "checking passkey" on the car?

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
You had to read the manual for that!? :p :)

Honestly, the youth of today :D

Well it was becoming frustrating otherwise :p

I've had the phone working since I bought it, but under external devices I wasn't being given the option to use my phone for music. Somehow the option for using Audio under the phones settings in the car had been disabled (which needs to be re-enabled through the "Phone" menu, rather than the "Entertainment" menu).

Soldato
I'm having problems with my Bluetooth. Recently updated my phone, so when I connect everything goes fine on my phone, goes to request call log access etc, once all that is complete it just sits on "checking passkey" on the car?
Delete the phone from the car first and re-pair to make sure there's no stupidity going on like it's trying to use the old crypto key pair that your recent upgrade destroyed etc...

Your phone probably might have granular BT permissions, check it's not asking for more stuff you have to approve on your phone. Some phones I test require me to do a double permission on BMW BT.

Soldato
Quelle surprise, the E46 M3 market is a minefield. Thankfully not looking to buy ASAP but it basically appears that on top of a slush fund for general non-servicing repairs I'm going to set aside at least £1500 to bring any potential car up to scratch (Be that for bushes, arches, HG, boot floor, Insp II, clutch or whatever) unless it costs way more than £10k.

Prices vary wildly and often don't reflect anything other than what the seller wants, there are too many convertibles and SMG equipped cars out there getting in the way of my search :p so many with missing service history, 1200 mile checks done way after 1200 miles, duplicate history manuals, mismatching tyres.... the list goes on.

It almost makes the ones hovering around £8k more enticing as at least I can get them up to scratch myself, knowing that the jobs have been done properly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't think there is any point spending more than £8k on one, true 'minters' rarely really exist and with an £8k one you can spend the money that needs spending on pretty much all of them much easier.

They are all old cars, a 'minter' is probably just as in need of a suspension refresh as an £8k one.

Soldato
OP
Rewired my side lights in after taking out the crappy angel eyes from the previous owner. Happy days :)

Now all that's left is to fix the oil leaks, fit the new suspension, replace the plugs and coils (as I'm sure that's what's causing the misfire) and I'll be happy for the time being.

Soldato
Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Fox.

The more I look into it the more I'm wondering whether to get one, considering the potential for hassle. The thing is, I can't see anything better for the money, nothing is quite as special whilst still being relatively practical. For under £10k nothing much can match it.

Back
Top Bottom