Trusteer Endpoint Protection - Beware!

Soldato
Hey everyone

There's been an update yesterday that causes Windows to fail to load on some systems. I have had this issue on about five computers so far today, and the only way to get rid of it is to boot into Safe Mode, and then change the registry to allow you to run Windows Installer so that you can then remove it. You'll need to be an Administrator to be able to make any of the changes below, so if you're not, make sure you run regedit as Administrator.

*** PLEASE DON'T MAKE CHANGES TO THE REGISTRY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! ***

Before making the change below, backup your registry. Click Start, and type in regedit. Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator". Click on Computer on the top left, then click File, Export, and then give it a name that you can identify it by. Save it to Documents or the Desktop in case you need to easily find it.

Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then go into SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, and finally look for SafeBoot. If you booted into Safe Mode only (not with Networking) then click on Minimal. If you booted into Safe Mode with Networking, select Network. Right-click on whichever corresponds with your Safe Mode, and then select New and then Key. Call the key MSIServer. Then on the right side at the top, double-click on (Default) and type in Service as the value. Now you can uninstall Trusteer through the Control Panel.

Soldato
Thanks for this, not experienced the problem yet but useful to know.

I would recommend removing it anyway, piece of junk software that causes problems with slowing computers down, blocking internet and even causing crashes.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for this, not experienced the problem yet but useful to know.

I would recommend removing it anyway, piece of junk software that causes problems with slowing computers down, blocking internet and even causing crashes.

Indeed, but a lot of people seem to think that it's a necessary part of their online banking system, and so go along with the installation regardless. a lot of people use it and hardly any of them even know what it is!

Soldato
OP
What does a lot mean?

Is that all you came in here to post? Nothing of use to add to the topic? Have you got bored of winding people up in PC Games and decided to wade in here to start something else up? Honestly, does it really matter to you that I've used a word accidentally that doesn't exist? Sometimes it's ok to just not post anything, you know. I was just trying to help people out, why do you need to come in here and start being antagonistic?

Last edited:
Soldato
a lot is a perfectly normal word. Don't feed the trolls.

Trusteer is pretty awful from what I've heard. Best thing to do is uninstall it and get a proper antivirus app.

Soldato
OP
I contacted the support at Trusteer yesterday and they didn't believe that there was any issue whatsoever. He told me that the latest version has been out for weeks and that they've not had any issues. It is definitely caused by Trusteer though because removing it sorts the problem out. We've had about five PCs affected today.

Soldato
Is that all you came in here to post? Nothing of use to add to the topic? Have you got bored of winding people up in PC Games and decided to wade in here to start something else up? Honestly, does it really matter to you that I've used a word accidentally that doesn't exist? Sometimes it's ok to just not post anything, you know. I was just trying to help people out, why do you need to come in here and start being antagonistic?

PC games? :confused:

a lot is a perfectly normal word. Don't feed the trolls.

It's not even a real word.

Soldato
Thanks for this. Santander always encourage people to install this. I've never had a problem though I'm a bit sceptical knowing their track record of customer service. I tend to use a Linux live CD or USB stick for my internet banking anyway.

Back
Top Bottom