How have people's rent increases been?

Soldato
Edit- Fantastic English in that title ;)

My rent is due to go up in July. The contract states:

The rent will increase by the amount stated for the annual increase in the CPIH index (consumer price index including housing) as quoted for the month two months prior to the month of the increase".

It also states rent will not go up before 363 days have passed since we signed the contract (and subsequent increases will require another 363 days).

My current rent is £575. The contract renewal is July. The CPIH for may is 0.4%. If I am not being a nonce, the rent will go up to £575.23. This seems too good to be true.

Have other people had tiny rent increases? Or have Landlords/ agents held off increasing the rent until the CPIH shows signs of life and then they'll hit you with a 3% or whatever?

rpg

rpg

Associate
Usually it will have a following statement along the lines of "to a minimum of 3%, and a maximum of 5%". Mine did anyway.

Soldato
OP
Usually it will have a following statement along the lines of "to a minimum of 3%, and a maximum of 5%". Mine did anyway.

Mine does not.

We've also had the hob and washing machine replaced (both of which were very faulty but appeared fine to all parties when we signed the contract) as well as the plumber out to fix the toilet and the electrician out (both of which were problems that needed to be fixed), so I was anticipating a rent increase on the basis that the flat now has newer white goods in it. The contract makes no mention of rent increases on the back of "more-than-minimal services provided by the agent" if you know what I mean?

Can the landlord still demand a rent increase if the contract specifically states rent increase will be based on CPIH (and no mention of other reasons for rent increase)

Man of Honour
Mine has said something like that (without any 3-5% qualification) then been some arbitrary amount above that anyway :S

I say arbitrary but they completely redid the bathroom at one point and I'm pretty sure tried to add the cost of that on top of the rent increase spread over 12 months :S I was leaving anyhow so just laughed.

Man of Honour
Never had rent increase regardless how long I've been there.

Be leaving this house in a month, been here just over 4 years iirc.

Associate
Been here for almost 3 years now, no sign of a rent increase for me. (Even though the landlord could ask for an increase, I guess he doesn't want to risk it)

Soldato
Last time I rented, the landlord put the rent up from 650 to 775 a month and tried to backdate it 3 months.

Oh how we laughed. And then left.

Soldato
The last place I rented it went up from £825pcm to £875 pcm over a 5 year period, which I though was pretty good for Zone 5 London.

Had a look online and they put a new kitchen and bathroom after I moved out and rented it out at £1075 pcm :eek:

Associate
My last landlord tried put ours up an extra 125 a month so we left

I've learnt one lesson since leaving home all landlords are nothing but crooks

Want every penny off you yet make 0 effort in rectifying any faults

Back
Top Bottom