• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**AMD Fiji Thread**

Associate
it absolutely does, AMD is limited by technology, die can't go bigger, neither is the interposer, all comes down to the fact that there isnt enough space to put more memory, without die shrink, am guessing we wont see FIJI rebrands with 8Go :D

Yup i made some reading in the topic, and yes the interposer is the limit, it could be bigger, but it wouldn't be cost effective.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD R9 Fury X Playing Sniper Elite III at 12K Resolution and 60 FPS

Sniper Elite III is successfully run on a three monitor setup for an effective resolution of 12K.
The demo that AMD had setup had a PC with an unknown processor (likely Haswell-E) with a single Radeon R9 Fury X running the initial level from Sniper Elite III. The performance was more than outstanding though it wasn’t always a constant 60 FPS. Any dips were more than manageable and it played very smoothly, meaning it hit the target far more often than not, even in complex scenes. This may even be due in part to the frame rate target control mechanism new to the Fury X.
HBM and effective memory utilization, as AMD themselves has said, could be the more appropriate answer to that of higher resolutions rather than just increasing the available video memory. One of the chief architects on Fiji mentioned that when they took a look at what was actually happening with the memory being marked as utilized they found that a good deal of that data was either redundant or wasted space altogether. More memory, then, certainly isn’t the answer at all.
With HBM and better memory management we can achieve higher and higher resolutions without needing an increase in memory capacity. And we can then enjoy games such as Sniper Elite III at extreme resolutions at great performance. Such memory management can benefit all card makers as well.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-p...i-at-12k-resolution-and-60-fps/#ixzz3debRMFB2

Soldato

Sniper Elite III is successfully run on a three monitor setup for an effective resolution of 12K.
The demo that AMD had setup had a PC with an unknown processor (likely Haswell-E) with a single Radeon R9 Fury X running the initial level from Sniper Elite III. The performance was more than outstanding though it wasn’t always a constant 60 FPS. Any dips were more than manageable and it played very smoothly, meaning it hit the target far more often than not, even in complex scenes. This may even be due in part to the frame rate target control mechanism new to the Fury X.
HBM and effective memory utilization, as AMD themselves has said, could be the more appropriate answer to that of higher resolutions rather than just increasing the available video memory. One of the chief architects on Fiji mentioned that when they took a look at what was actually happening with the memory being marked as utilized they found that a good deal of that data was either redundant or wasted space altogether. More memory, then, certainly isn’t the answer at all.
With HBM and better memory management we can achieve higher and higher resolutions without needing an increase in memory capacity. And we can then enjoy games such as Sniper Elite III at extreme resolutions at great performance. Such memory management can benefit all card makers as well.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-p...i-at-12k-resolution-and-60-fps/#ixzz3debRMFB2

Very impressive!

Man of Honour

Sounds dangerously like they are second guessing the game/program developer which would be opening up all kinds of problems. A lot of games do things like precaching data they don't immediately need for a variety of reasons and without carnal knowledge of what the programmer had in mind or eccentricities of a given engine the outcome of that kind of memory management isn't pretty - probably requiring per application hand optimisation in many cases.

Associate

The demo that AMD had setup had a PC with an unknown processor (likely Haswell-E) with a single Radeon R9 Fury X running the initial level from Sniper Elite III.

Anyone else find that kind of funny?

Soldato
Not really. I'm sure even AMD know their CPUs aren't close enough to haswell-e yet. If I were in their posistion Id do the same. At the end of the day it's the gpu they're showcasing not the CPU.

Soldato
Anyone else find that kind of funny?

Not really AMD know there CPU line is weak compared to Intel.. AMD ZEN range could very well change all this time will tell..

They no point AMD showcasing there top line GPU on a CPU that could very well effect its performance and results.. It would do more harm then good.

Man of Honour

I hate to think what settings was used to get playable fps but they must have been very low indeed.

An overclocked 290X @2160p running max settings gets about 20 fps on SEV3 so if it ran the resolution they used it would be getting 7fps.

The point I am making here is to get playable fps like they were with the Fury X would have involved using settings so low that very little memory was needed.

Associate
I hate to think what settings was used to get playable fps but they must have been very low indeed.

An overclocked 290X @2160p running max settings gets about 20 fps on SEV3 so if it ran the resolution they used it would be getting 7fps.

The point I am making here is to get playable fps like they were with the Fury X would have involved using settings so low that very little memory was needed.

There bench here states 40FPS

qYs1f7Q.jpg

Here are the settings aswell :

QrvJ0oM.jpg

AMD are just getting themselves into more ****. I can probably run there settings for 3x4K eyefinity on a 2GB GPU.

Don't come here moaning if you preordered and they pulled a fast one on you (if ofcourse HBM handles exactly like GDDR5).

Check reviews first.

This is just marketing hype...

Last edited:
Associate
If anyone in the not too distant future happens to have access to a Fury X and one of these,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-283-EA

A matchup is essential! I appreciate it was Nvidia's decision to refrain from liquid relief and recycle the same cooler for the fifth time but if we disregard that in the interests of rendering honour, this would be a truly fair comparison. Even the load temps are the same!

Back
Top Bottom