New to UK. LF 1st uk car — Minis, bmw 1/3/M

Soldato
Benefits: nicer ride, room for actual stuff and people, tend to be better specced and are far nicer to drive over any sort of distanve

Soldato
Can you please elaborate on why is cooperS or bmw1 are bad choices?

If something goes wrong on the Cooper, it can be an expensive fix. The ride can be a bit harsh, but it is not that bad with 17 inch wheels. Fuel economy ain't great, but when you're driving it down a B-road, you'll forget these very quickly. Engage sport. :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28202019 said:
Both of those appear to offer performance in excess of what he has asked for, which would therefore mean he'd paying extra for capabilities beyond his requirements.

But then this is OcUK, so I'm not sure what else we expected. As a result I will recommend a 10 year old S600 BiTurbo.

He put a 1 Series M which is 4.8 seconds to 60 I hardly think my recommendations are out of kilter.

So not because it is OcUK just because it is one of the best cars in it's class.

:rolleyes:

Associate
If you are a European national you can use your driver's licence in the UK until you are 70. You can also pay 50 quid and get it exchanged for a UK if you like. Insurance costs do not go down (all to do with EU citizens treated equal I suppose).

If not, then yes you will need a UK licence.

Also, you will have a hard time getting finance/loan with less than 3 years in the UK. You need at the very least 1 year.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28204370 said:
A 1 Series M costs £40,000 not £10,000, it's fairly obvious he's referring to the regular M Sport models not the actual 1 Series M.

Sorry captain obvious, I am not a walking BMW price list, I just went from what was written.

:rolleyes:

Associate
"[TW]Fox" - do you talk to people like you do on here in person? I expect not but if so, do you not find that everyone finds you incredibly rude? How many times have you been punched in the face?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
"[TW]Fox" - do you talk to people like you do on here in person? I expect not but if so, do you not find that everyone finds you incredibly rude? How many times have you been punched in the face?
How do I pronounce your name? Scarfassay?

Man of Honour

Well no because generally in person you don't get conversations like this in this sort of context.

It just gets frustrating sometimes when people don't seem to take the time to read/understand what the OP is after before deciding to offer advice - in this case we've got a guy thinking about a new Mini Cooper, perhaps a used one, maybe BMW 1 Series M, it doesn't take an encyclopaedic knowledge of cars to know he probably isn't after a limited edition ultra rare 340bhp 1 Series or an old Audi S3 and is probably looking at regular models.

I can, however, appreciate that perhaps one shouldn't let that frustration manifest itself in terse responses on internet threads, so you've got a point and for that I apologise.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;28206981 said:
Well no because generally in person you don't get conversations like this in this sort of context.

It just gets frustrating sometimes when people don't seem to take the time to read/understand what the OP is after before deciding to offer advice - in this case we've got a guy thinking about a new Mini Cooper, perhaps a used one, maybe BMW 1 Series M, it doesn't take an encyclopaedic knowledge of cars to know he probably isn't after a limited edition ultra rare 340bhp 1 Series or an old Audi S3 and is probably looking at regular models.

I can, however, appreciate that perhaps one shouldn't let that frustration manifest itself in terse responses on internet threads, so you've got a point :p

Wow, your arrogance is beyond belief sometimes.

Did you not notice the huge grinning smiley next to the S3? No because you didn't take the time to read, you just jumped in with scathing which is what you are so fond of.

The Golf GTI was a valid suggestion compared to a 1 series, mini cooper etc, but you focus on the amusing suggestion and act like a total ****

Man of Honour
Did you not notice the huge grinning smiley next to the S3? No because you didn't take the time to read, you just jumped in with scathing which is what you are so fond of.

I genuinely have no idea what the smiley was for. An S3 is quite similar to a GTI so it wasn't outrageous enough to be an obvious joke so figured you just thought the S3 was good or something. I therefore felt the S3 was as serious a suggestion as the GTI was and replied accordingly.

The Golf GTI was a valid suggestion compared to a 1 series, mini cooper etc, but you focus on the amusing suggestion and act like a total ****

I genuinely do not believe it was a good contender and do not feel it would represent a good choice for the OP. They are great cars (IMHO one of the better hot hatches) but as a result of this they step up a level compared to more mundane models and therefore cost more to buy, getting him less for his money. They represent more than he appears to be asking for in his OP - more performance, more age, more exposure to potential issues by virtue of that age.

The Mini Cooper he mentions is what, 120bhp? I can't imagine many obvious GTI owners consider one of those.

I will admit that as far as OcUK-style suggestions go (Somebody asks for a small hatch and somebody will suggest a 3 Series saloon with a massive engine) it wasn't exactly in the same league as most of the 'don't bother thinking about the OP's requirements just post random stuff' suggestions and therefore apologies if I came across as a bit terse.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;28207026 said:
I genuinely have no idea what the smiley was for. An S3 is quite similar to a GTI so it wasn't outrageous enough to be an obvious joke so figured you just thought the S3 was good or something.

I genuinely do not believe it was a valid suggestion and do not feel it would represent a good choice for the OP. They are great cars (IMHO one of the better hot hatches) but as a result of this they step up a level compared to more mundane models and therefore cost more to buy, getting him less for his money. They represent more than he appears to be asking for in his OP - more performance, more age, more exposure to potential issues by virtue of that age.

The Mini Cooper he mentions is what, 120bhp? Not much of a Golf GTI alternative.

I will admit that as far as OcUK-style suggestions go (Somebody asks for a small hatch and somebody will suggest a 3 Series saloon with a massive engine) it wasn't exactly in the same league as most of the 'don't bother thinking about the OP's requirements just post random stuff' suggestions and therefore apologies if I came across as a bit terse.

You are entitled to your opinion, but don't act like my signature and belittle anyone who interprets differently. It is entirely the right of the OP to look at the suggestions and decide what is right for him, NOT you!

Also bear in mind in the Title he says BMW 1/3/m so he was asking pretty flexibly.

Associate
Depends on his employment and residency status, etc.

When I first got a job (in the UK), I went to buy a used car which was only 25% of my annual salary. I had a 20% of the car's value in cash as deposit, had been working for 3 months and had a bank account for 3 years, 3 months (albeit 3 years of it was a student account).

Once the dealer realized the car was for me (went with my uncle who is UK resident for 50 years), he refused to even attempt a credit check for finance saying: "you need at least 3 years of work and credit history otherwise....".

The next day I got my first CC.

Back
Top Bottom